Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
a side comment on salt. It has been discussed that the lack of iodine in salt is at the root of the rampant Thyroid problems that are seen today. Many of us has dysfucntional thyroid and don't know it. Symptoms are low rising body temperature in the morning, cold extremities and more. I had a rising temp of 95. This contributes to arterial plaque as well. I really don't want a stent or worse.
I now take a dessicated thyroid med. as well as Kelp supplement.
Alan,
I have had very limited amt. of salt (whatever is naturally in fresh fruit/veg's) in my diet since the 80's. I do not have plaque, thyroid issues or any other other symptoms you related to. What I do have is very low BP, HR and will never be on all those BP meds. If you eat properly you will get all the salt you need naturally. You do not need to add more. The more fresh deep greens, fresh fruits and veg's you eat the healthier you will be. I shop the outside perimeter of the stores. Not the inside isles, except for coffee. I go to the Farmers Mkt every week and this week twice, one on Thurs and one today. My fridge is full of veg's and fruits. Once in a while we have a totally grilled veg. dinner.
As I said before, if I can not read it I won't eat it.
Now all that said, being only human, there are exceptions to every rule:
I did just take two loaves of pesto, Parmesan. Mozzarella bread out of the oven.
Oh, by the way, still working on the coconut oil question. However, it still has sat fat of 58%.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:12 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
Okay, Ken. I'll omit the cheeseballs and ketchup from tonight's Greek Kale salad. Party pooper.

Secret government communications; embedments; infiltrations? You are a lot like my friend. He can discuss that ad nauseum. You two should get together (on the ground). He can be sarcastically blunt with ATC when flying. None of that good-morning and thank-you sir, stuff etc.
Perhaps I can be his surrogate grandfather. I too have a reputation for being hyper-candid. However I always tried to start out with a cheery "Good morning" and end with a "Good Day". That would last until a pilot said something stupid or belligerent or often both.

Most of the time when I discuss conspiracy theories, I am mocking those that believe in them.

I will divulge a bit of classified information. Being surly with ATC might feel good in the moment, but usually proves unwise in the bigger scheme of getting where you're going quickly.
Ken

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:52 AM   #63
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Hey Ag your breakfast is pretty carb heavy. You should cut the orange juice it has more sugar as fructose than we need.
Given a choice between drinking a glass of orange juice and eating a whole orange, you're definitely better off eating the orange. That's true for most fruit juices.

Also, given a choice between eating raisins or grapes, go for the grapes. More flavor, and it doesn't take nearly as many to fill you up.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:21 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Many great ideas here... My wife and I buy salmon at Costco regularly and we simply bake it with a light coating of olive oil and Kirkland salmon seasoning. The salmon (wild caught or farm raised are both available) is individually pre-packaged and it's easy to pull two from the freezer whenever we need them.

She also slices cucumbers into a bowl with nothing but vinegar and pepper, which I have learned to enjoy over the years, since it's the only way I can tolerate cucumber.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
My daughters bought me a book for $6 that I really enjoy:

100 Best Health Foods: Parragon Books, Love Food Editors: 9781407564456: Amazon.com: Books
Old 03-02-2014, 05:50 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I should also add that I frequently eat:
1. Leftover pizza
2. Leftover bratwurst
3. Leftover ribeye, marinated in Worcestershire
4. Leftover hamburgers with American cheese

By "leftover", I mean we had them the night before!

Old 03-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #67
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Andreasduess-- with your "continuous brew" method for kombucha, I take it that you draw some of it off as needed, then return an equivalent amount of plain tea and sugar to the container? This would mean that the main volume of brewing tea isn't completely fermented?

I am currently experimenting with all kinds of flavours on my secondary ferment. A recent winner is tangerine and fennel seeds.

I saw that Mayo Clinic entry on kombucha, and agree that this is one topic where the good doctors need a clip upside the head. Far more people sicken or die from authorized prescriptions and medical procedures than from a drink Asians have enjoyed for many years. The problem seems to be with unsanitary utensils or reactive containers, not the kombucha.

But hey, all you "mechanical types" and eingeers in Airstream Land! Surely any guy who can renovate an old AS, top to bottom, can tell us inventively-challenged ones how to keep a continuous flow of oxygen (and off-gassing of CO2) to a jostling beverege container while keeping some type of spill-proof lid on it.

We used to stop at more fast-food places for lunch, till-- bright kids that we are-- we realized that we could pack the fridge with healthy lunch foods, eat inside a decent-looking AS or have a nice lunch on a rest-area picnic table, and follow it with a quick nap for Len and dog-walk for me. It is soooo much more civilized.

Does anyone else here like kale chips? Very easy to make at home if you have a food dehydrator, but the oven set around 200F works, too. Just wash and dry kale, tear it off the ribs into large bite-size pieces, toss with a little olive oil and soy sauce or sea salt. Not too much oil, or they get greasy. Massage the kale with your fingers to spread the olive oil around: the lightest visible coating is right. Place on dehydrator racks or baking pans. Dehydrate for a few hours, turning occasionally. Drier is better, as they can lose their crispness after a day or so.

Jeanne
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

PS - this is my flying friend.-

I "heart" Rocky!

Quote:
Okay, Ken. I'll omit the cheeseballs and ketchup from tonight's Greek Kale salad. Party pooper.

That salad looks great, and that's the kind of stuff i like to eat too! Recipe, or rough idea of how you made it, please!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:17 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
On saturated fats,,,there are many reasons to eat fat, just not the wrong kind...trans fats.
OUr bodies need fat, the low fat diet craze is not good for our health. Coconut oil is a great source of healthy fats, as are grass fed butter and cheeses. I need this beacuse I don't eat red meat.
See this and more: also look up the Paleo diet. Marksdailyapple.com
http://www.freetheanimal.com/root/20...dl-secret.html
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
I should also add that I frequently eat:
1. Leftover pizza
2. Leftover bratwurst
3. Leftover ribeye, marinated in Worcestershire
4. Leftover hamburgers with American cheese

By "leftover", I mean we had them the night before!

Excellent if you avoid the bread and add buttered vegetables.. Seriously.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
2021 28' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Alan, glad you are well!! Thanks for sharing.. Two years ago I was on Lipitor and Lisinipril for cholesterol and blood pressure.. on a friends recommendation I watched the documentary "Forks over knives" on Netflix .. Following that lifestyle change, I'm off both drugs and literally feeling a lot better.. Not going into details, take 1 1/2 hours and watch it.. It'll spark a great discussion with hop fully recipes to follow... Bonnie and I start each day with a healthy shake:

In a good blender blend the following:
a handful of frozen strawberries, blueberries and blackberries (unsweetened )
a couple of tbls. of no fat Greek yogurt
handful of baby spinach
2 tbls. of fiber, milled flax seed and whey protein (we use chocolate )
Bonnie likes a tbl. Of Almond butter, I could do without
Top it off with unsweetened original almond milk for the right consistency

Knock on wood! I literally haven't been sick (even a cold since starting this diet).. It's not a new religion for me just a lifestyle change. I do break the diet once in a while on vacation etc... On a lot of vacations lately
I do wash my hands a lot and use anti bacterial wipes in the many hotel rooms I have to stay in, could contribute to the not getting sick part..
WBCCI #17771
Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
DeltaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:22 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Great news! We can do it without drugs.. its amazing how reilient our bodies are when given the right treatment -- fuel, water and some exercise.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Excellent if you avoid the bread and add buttered vegetables.. Seriously.
I use the excellent Irish Butter from Trader Joe's. Grass fed and tastes wonderful.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #74
Rivet Master

Quote:
I use the excellent Irish Butter from Trader Joe's. Grass fed and tastes wonderful.

I guess I don't understand all of these various dieting methods.

Here's my take on butter. Butter is made from cream. Cream contains nearly all the fat and most of the cholesterol contained in milk. When you remove the cream to make butter, you are left with non fat skim milk. If one is going to consume dairy products, that is the part I would think one would want.

Yes our body needs fat, but I don't feel it is necessary to go out of the way to get it. A healthy diet gets enough fat by accident.

Just my opinions. (based on a fair amount of research)

Ken
Old 03-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #75
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Andreasduess-- with your "continuous brew" method for kombucha, I take it that you draw some of it off as needed, then return an equivalent amount of plain tea and sugar to the container? This would mean that the main volume of brewing tea isn't completely fermented?
That's exactly how it works. You remove what you need and replace it with fresh tea and sugar. The result is a culture that is not constantly interrupted when brewing a fresh batch. The flavour is richer and deeper and it is said to be healthier for the culture itself.

The bottom of the brewing vessel gets a little messy over time, so every six months it gets cleaned out and washed.

No Kombucha will ever be fully fermented - when that point has been reached, the culture will die off due to lack of nutrients. I find that I can remove, from a 5 litre container, 2 litres a week without any ill effects.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #76
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Its the Mediterranean diet the way it used to be. High in Olive oil and fresh vegetables, non farm raised fish and grass fed meat and poultry. Some butter and of course some wine, preferably red.
It is eating clean and healthy and avoiding processed foods that makes all the difference.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #77
Rivet Master

Since the topic said healthy eating, but not for whom, ,and since almond milk is a common healthy choice for people, I thought I would share this for anyone with cats.

We do not allow our cats to have dairy products because adult cats are lactose intolerant. However, since we switched to almond milk, one of our cats practically wrestles me to the floor attempting to get at the almond milk on my cereal. My first thought was what could it hurt. However I decided to check and ran across this.

Almonds are a healthy snack for humans, but these nuts are not recommend to give to cats. While your cat will probably be OK if he/she happens to eat a small amount of almonds or a food that contains almond (pastries, cookies, etc) as one of the ingredients. However, the ASPCA cautions against allowing your cat, or any pet, to consume almonds because of an assortment of other potential problems they may cause your kitty. Almonds contain cyanogenic glycosides which will result in poisoning in your cat. This interferes with the ability of the blood to release oxygen into the tissues. So keep Almonds away!

Quote is from here:

Universal Cats - Foods Toxic to Cats

Ken
Old 03-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
That salad looks great, and that's the kind of stuff i like to eat too! Recipe, or rough idea of how you made it, please!
Sure. It's just a basic Greek salad made with cukes, Greek olives, feta, tomato, onion, any coloured pepper, and celery, then tossed with EVOO and vinegar with some oregano.

I added some kale because it's been getting a lot of press as a superfood.

Kale is a green which needs dressing as it is naturally bitter. Unlike lettuce, it will not wilt, so makes a good leftover salad too. I can't say I love the stuff, but was palatable Greek style.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Sure. It's just a basic Greek salad made with cukes, Greek olives, feta, tomato, onion, any coloured pepper, and celery, then tossed with EVOO and vinegar with some oregano.

I added some kale because it's been getting a lot of press as a superfood.

Kale is a green which needs dressing as it is naturally bitter. Unlike lettuce, it will not wilt, so makes a good leftover salad too. I can't say I love the stuff, but was palatable Greek style.
Thanks. Oh, that's easy. Even I can make that!

I eat a fair amount of kale, but I usually put it in my smoothies, or I like to mix it with evoo and roast it on a pan to make crispy kale chips. Just eating it raw, in a salad, I sometimes find that's it's kind of tough. I'll give it another try, in your salad!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #80
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
some have asked about saturated fats..here is a good lesson on that topic and why they are good for you.

AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!