Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2014, 02:05 PM   #81
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Thank you, Andy. Out of curiosity, what do you do with your spare scoby cultures? Do you keep the new one or the old one?
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:11 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Thank you, Andy. Out of curiosity, what do you do with your spare scoby cultures? Do you keep the new one or the old one?
I tend to give them away to friends if possible, otherwise they go into the compost. I've also read that drying them and mixing them with cat or dogfood is a good way to use them up.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:18 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Healthy & delicious pancakes or pecan waffles

Man, this section really took off.

Here's the recipe for the pancakes or waffles we eat regularly. They aren't heavy like regular pancakes or waffles. We always use pecans in them. I usually get the pecans from a friend...they are grown about 5 miles from my house.

Hi protein Pancake or waffle recipe

6 egg whites
1 cup of regular oatmeal
1 cup of cottage cheese (we use low fat)
little bit of nutmeg
little bit of cinnamon

add mixture to blender (we use Vita-Mix), blend up, pour into skillet or waffle maker...sprinkle pecans on either. It makes 4 or 5 waffles. The leftovers heat up well in the toaster oven. We top them with organic butter from Costco and organic maple syrup from Costco. These aren't just tolerable waffles...they are better than traditional ones.

Thanks, G
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:31 AM   #84
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
This thread has been an interesting read. My question after all the organic ingredient references is, "What are the inorganic ingredients people have been eating?"
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #85
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
There is some controversy about Organic foods, as they are still often grown with some chemicals involved. A lot of it is marketing. I do not take sides in this, if you want to pay up for it that is your business. The best food is locally grown and sourced. I use the Buford Hwy International Farmers market in Atlanta when I can get there. Amazing produce and other departments at reasonable prices.

"What do the words "organic" and "natural" mean on a food label? Not much, according to The Washington Post. Before you spend another buck trying to do something good for your family, see this first!"
Video
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #86
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
This thread has been an interesting read. My question after all the organic ingredient references is, "What are the inorganic ingredients people have been eating?"
Salt is inorganic. It's a mineral. Since most of the salt we eat is mined from the ground, you might say you're sprinkling powdered rock on your food.

But all facetiousness aside, anything listed on an ingredient label by its scientific name is generally considered inorganic. Which includes preservatives that increase the shelf life so the food doesn't rot before you can buy it, and dyes that make the food look more appealing (which I do have a problem with, actually).

In the case of fruit and vegetables sold raw, "inorganic" usually means treated with any kind of fertilizer other than manure and any kind of pesticide to keep away insects that can eat the plants before you get the chance. Such as that infamous worm you find half of in an apple you just bit into.

So, buying organic means buying stuff raised in s___ and snacked upon by tiny vermin before being sold to you.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy View Post
Here's the recipe for the pancakes or waffles we eat regularly. They aren't heavy like regular pancakes or waffles.

Hi protein Pancake or waffle recipe

6 egg whites
1 cup of regular oatmeal
1 cup of cottage cheese (we use low fat)
little bit of nutmeg
little bit of cinnamon

add mixture to blender (we use Vita-Mix), blend up, pour into skillet or waffle maker... These aren't just tolerable waffles...they are better than traditional ones.
I have almost this exact recipe, except that I use the entire egg. Most of the nutrients are in the yolk. But, anyway, agreed...much better than traditional pancakes.

Did you see, earlier in this thread, I posted a recipe for banana pancakes? You'd probably love those too...eggs, mashed banana, cinnamon, wheat germ, flax seed. Top with nuts and blueberries.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #88
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
There is some controversy about Organic foods, as they are still often grown with some chemicals involved. A lot of it is marketing. I do not take sides in this, if you want to pay up for it that is your business. The best food is locally grown and sourced. I use the Buford Hwy International Farmers market in Atlanta when I can get there. Amazing produce and other departments at reasonable prices.

"What do the words "organic" and "natural" mean on a food label? Not much, according to The Washington Post. Before you spend another buck trying to do something good for your family, see this first!"
Video

Alan,

You should have been a professional critic! I won't go into my opinion of the Washington Post. I've made a choice not to source the Washington Post but feel anyone else that wants to should have that right. Have you tried the Costco Maple syrup? I don't buy it because it's organic, I buy it because it's better AND cheaper than any i've found anywhere else and I've tried a bunch of them! If it wasn't organic, I would still buy it. I don't think I'll find locally grown or sourced maple syrup and the Buford Hwy international Market isn't a conducive grocery trip for us due to distance. If I'm ever near there, I'll check it out. My wife prefers the Costco butter as well. I've heard that Irish Kerrygold butter is supposed to be good but we haven't tried it. Another option we've intended to try is the new coldlife.com...organic foods delivered to your door. I've heard positive things about them and since I work a lot, the convenience of delivery might be nice.

Thanks, G
Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
I have almost this exact recipe, except that I use the entire egg. Most of the nutrients are in the yolk. But, anyway, agreed...much better than traditional pancakes.

Did you see, earlier in this thread, I posted a recipe for banana pancakes? You'd probably love those too...eggs, mashed banana, cinnamon, wheat germ, flax seed. Top with nuts and blueberries.

I'll look through here, find it and try it...it sounds great!

Thanks, G
Old 03-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
I'll look through here, find it and try it...it sounds great!

Thanks, G
It's post #3 of this thread....when the thread was still about what the thread started out being about!

I rarely make the recipe with the cottage cheese anymore, only because I try to minimize my dairy intake. Both recipes are super delicious.

I don't even like traditional pancakes anymore...too dry and bready. Haven't had them in probably 4 or 5 years. There is only one place where I'll get them...East Beach Grill, in Santa Barbara. They're traditional flour pancakes, with wheat germ, bananas, and blueberries added. Top them with a crap-load of syrup, and they are quite tasty!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Here's a nice healthy easy dish (if you have a microwave). I've made it dozens of times, and it always turns out perfect, tastes just like I roasted in the oven. It's a great side dish when you don't know what to serve with your entree.

Rosemary Potatoes
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, quartered (about 4 cups)

Place butter and garlic in an 8-inch square baking dish. Microwave at MEDIUM-HIGH (70% power) 45 seconds or until butter melts. Add rosemary, salt, pepper, and potatoes; toss well. Cover and microwave at HIGH for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Check the potatoes after 10 minutes or so. Depending on your oven, you may not need to cook them for 15 minutes.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
sounds easy and tasty
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #93
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Alan,

You should have been a professional critic! I won't go into my opinion of the Washington Post. I've made a choice not to source the Washington Post but feel anyone else that wants to should have that right. Have you tried the Costco Maple syrup? I don't buy it because it's organic, I buy it because it's better AND cheaper than any i've found anywhere else and I've tried a bunch of them! If it wasn't organic, I would still buy it. I don't think I'll find locally grown or sourced maple syrup and the Buford Hwy international Market isn't a conducive grocery trip for us due to distance. If I'm ever near there, I'll check it out. My wife prefers the Costco butter as well. I've heard that Irish Kerrygold butter is supposed to be good but we haven't tried it. Another option we've intended to try is the new coldlife.com...organic foods delivered to your door. I've heard positive things about them and since I work a lot, the convenience of delivery might be nice.

Thanks, G
Hey.. I'm not trying to be critical...just passing on some info. That came from Clark Howard actually. You can get really nice Irish butter at Trader Joe's too.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #94
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
My biggest challenge is "road food" or what I prep for the road and have ready in the cooler. I have rarely seen anything I would consider eating in truck stops or stations I can get the trailer and truck into so I'm limited. I stick with easy to eat food due to manual transmission in the TV. My diet on the road: nuts, firm fruit, almond butter & honey sandwiches and water. I'm fine with it but wonder if I'm missing out on something really good...
Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #95
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmatt View Post
My biggest challenge is "road food" or what I prep for the road and have ready in the cooler. I have rarely seen anything I would consider eating in truck stops or stations I can get the trailer and truck into so I'm limited. I stick with easy to eat food due to manual transmission in the TV. My diet on the road: nuts, firm fruit, almond butter & honey sandwiches and water. I'm fine with it but wonder if I'm missing out on something really good...
Since I can think of no other reason the transmission would matter, I'm guessing that you are eating while driving. Your diet sounds fine for travelling ,however my opinion is that you are eating healthy food in an unhealthy manner. Your digestive system needs you to be relaxed and comfortable while eating. I strongly suggest that you establish meal times. When it is meal time, pull over, park, and relax in the trailer while eating, and for a short while thereafter.

That's my advice.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 PM   #96
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Remember, real food is best.

Example, eat

butter not margarine
lard not Crisco
sugar not HFCS
Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Remember, real food is best.

Example, eat

butter not margarine
lard not Crisco
sugar not HFCS
You forgot: cow pies not boxed cereals
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:42 AM   #98
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Healthy Eating!

Yes, eating on the road behind the wheel might be my problem. A 30 minute meal break might just be what the wife & beagle need as well. I'll try and work that in next trip.

Thanks Ken!
Old 03-07-2014, 05:09 AM   #99
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmatt View Post
Yes, eating on the road behind the wheel might be my problem. A 30 minute meal break might just be what the wife & beagle need as well. I'll try and work that in next trip.
According to a 2009 study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a whopping 80% (!) of all traffic accidents are caused by eating while driving.

Based on their study, the dining habits most likely to cause an accident are (in descending order):
1 - Drinking coffee (but how does that qualify as "eating"?)
2 - Drinking/eating soup
3 - Eating tacos
4 - Eating chili dogs
5 - Eating hamburgers
6 - Eating fried chicken
7 - Eating jelly doughnuts (but other kinds are okay?)
8 - Drinking sodas (this is the only one I do behind the wheel anymore)
9 - Eating chocolate
The study's top ten list is one entry short. But whether the statistics are accurate or not, it's pretty clear that NOT eating behind the wheel is healithier; it could save your life!
Old 03-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Protag, would the 80% causation figure relate to distracted driving in general, i.e. phoning, texting, eating, radio dial twigging, etc? Seems a little high just for eating (though messy Big Macs are a problem).
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote