Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Oh yes, oatmeal. When we're in the AS, we've been buying the packets of instant plain oatmeal. Just add water. Then add a little chocolate protein powder. Then add a cut up banana and walnuts.
As a child I just loathed oatmeal - good old Quaker 5 minute stuff - that mom made. IMHO it tasted like lumpy wallpaper paste. One day at about 4 1/2 years old I rebelled instead of crying and getting the "eat it or wear it" response. I defied my mother and said, "If you think it's so good why don't YOU eat it? If you eat this bowl, I'll eat it and never complain again."

Mom gave me a bowl of Rice Krispies.
Morning sickness was my friend.
(I didn't realize mom was pregnant with my kid sister.)

Years later I was offered some Quaker instant with maple syrup flavor - and still couldn't eat it without a gag reflex.

BUT I was then offered steel cut oats - pretty much unprocessed - which take half an hour to cook, and really really taste much better and don't have that wallpaper paste consistency. They're easy to cook without burning on the induction burner - and I can make 3 to 5 servings, the reheat in the microwave for a whole week's worth of breakfast. I particularly like raisened cranberries in mine, though dried cherries or dried blueberries are good too - as are walnut pieces. I like the texture better without milk or sugar.

Paula

Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #30
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post

That didn't last long, did it?

There's only been a few recipes shared, and a whole lot of arguing/discussion about what's healthy and what is not!!!
I know it's a bit to late, however I apologize for taking this thread off in a undesired direction. I did not read the original post well enough to see the plea not to do exactly what I did. Had I read it, I would not have posted.

I am passionate about this subject, and disgusted with the way the people are mislead by those who produce our food.

It is a little late, but please go on about what you were doing and I will not interrupt again.

Sorry,

Ken

Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
I always make sure to eat from the four food groups: Coffee, sugar, salt and chocolate, but not necessarily in that order.

I wonder if I can get de-coffinated caffeine?

Phil
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
He is only against grains that have Gluten in them.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Other experts say that eliminating entire food groups, such as whole grains, can lead to malnutrition/dietary deficiencies/health issues.

I think one has to find what works for them......and do it.

Maggie
Old 02-28-2014, 11:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
It is a little late, but please go on about what you were doing and I will not interrupt again.

Sorry,

Ken
No prob! I just thought it was funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue View Post
I always make sure to eat from the four food groups: Coffee, sugar, salt and chocolate, but not necessarily in that order.

I wonder if I can get de-coffinated caffeine?

Phil
Have you tried combining those food groups? Coffee mixed in with the chocolate, and sprinkled with a hint of sea salt. Yum!!!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We eat about anything we want, but not all we want of it. We seldom eat Ice Cream or candy, except for Lynn's Almond Rocha, and not much of that.

The best exercise to lose weight is to push away from the table.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We all make conscious choices, don't we.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2014, 08:37 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Much organic food is grown in Mexico. The us could not keep up with the demand. I worked in produce and we saw the changeover. Please read the packaging. Packed in the US does not mean grown here. Mexico has dif standards than we do. US grown us the way to go. Jim
Old 03-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
We've been very careful about food for more than 10 years --but still get off track unintentionally sometimes. The limitations on prep options in the Airstream have been beneficial --simple food is best!
We model the diet on SouthBeach --but have a friend who has amazing success with the Paleo Diet --anyone following these models?
A broader concept is sticking with real food --if someone other than Mother Nature did something to it (beside preparing it)--we're not gonna eat it!!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachHouse View Post
We've been very careful about food for more than 10 years --but still get off track unintentionally sometimes. The limitations on prep options in the Airstream have been beneficial --simple food is best!
We model the diet on SouthBeach --but have a friend who has amazing success with the Paleo Diet --anyone following these models?
A broader concept is sticking with real food --if someone other than Mother Nature did something to it (beside preparing it)--we're not gonna eat it!!
That is basically what I do, However to do that totally is impractical. For instance, I don't want to get the tools and take the time to roll my own oats.

In the world we live in today the food manufacturers spend vastly more money trying to convince you that their overly processed and additive ridden food is healthy because it tastes good, than they do trying to actually make it healthy. They also count on the public to become addicted to excess sugar and salt. In that respect they are no different than a drug cartel with the exception that their poison is legal.

However In todays world most of us cannot afford to spend all day everyday, growing and preserving our own food. Therefore we must trust the food companies to at least obey the law, because they are forced to.

Taking all that into account, the approach I use is to keep myself educated and if I must buy packaged food, I thoroughly read the labels and know what the dangers are with various additives you may encounter. I have learned what stores have what foods. We routinely buy groceries at three different markets in order to get the best of what each has.

Optional reading:

In my mind the greatest threat to us in our diet is excess salt. it is found is huge amounts in most processed foods.

Our body works to keep our blood's salt percentage within a given range. When there is too much salt in our blood, the immediate reaction is going to be our body retaining more water to keep the salinity in the proper range. This increased volume of water in our blood increases our blood pressure. That increased pressure causes our blood vessels to expand. This expansion can cause tears to develop in our artery linings. Our body's reaction to heal these tears causes the beginnings of plaque build up in the arteries. This is the beginning of artery disease. When more fats in our blood stick to this build up, eventually not enough blood will flow. That can cause heart attack and stroke.

Ken
Old 03-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I saw or read something recently about genetically modified organisms, which our stores and produce departments are apparently full of, and which present their own issues.

Maggie
Old 03-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #40

Quote:
I saw or read something recently about genetically modified organisms, which our stores and produce departments are apparently full of, and which present their own issues.

Maggie
Not only in your food, but also your gas tank in the ethanol they add.

This is, according to some, a whole new way to poison us. The primary reason GMO plants are developed is to make the plants more tolerant to the herbicides (especially Roundup) they use to kill the weeds in the fields. Personally, I'm not interested in eating a plant that has developed the ability to absorb more weed killer without dying, no matter who tells me it is safe.

There is a theory that genetically modified corn is responsible for the dramatic decline in Monarch Butterfly population

Ken
Old 03-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #41
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I have just gotten into making kombucha tea at home-- supposedly it is loaded with health benefits. I like it, especially with fruit and spice flavours added. However, the fermentation instructions say not to jostle it while it is brewing. Has anyone made it on the road? We'll be traveling in southeastern Utah for the month of April, so a home-made ready-to-drink stash won't last that long; and the canned health food commerical varieties are expensive.
http://www.culturesforhealth.com/kombucha

We find that in certain more remote parts of the country, it is very hard to find healthy ingredients like sprouts, 100% carrot juice, and organics. But a fresh full-meal type of salad is usually a good option. We also go in for wraps a lot: unlike bread and crackers, they don't crumble, crush, or turn stale (maybe not-so-good?) and they can be loaded up with healthy veggies, lean meat, or spreads.

Nuts are the basis of a lot of protein-rich raw foods. If you've got a food-processor on board, you're all set. We don't have room for one in the Bambi, let alone an oven; so three nice raw food make-ahead & take along dishes (for those without nut allergies) are:

1. mock sour or whipped cream is made by pureeing pre-soaked raw cashews with a little liquid + a healthy sweetener. Add fresh lemon juice for a more sour cream type of flavour. (Lemons are great travellers.) A "sour cream" recipe would be something like: 1 cup cashews soaked for several hours in water to cover, drained; 1/2 cup water (or "milk" product like soy milk) plus 3 Tbls lemon juice. Puree till smooth. For a sweet dish, cut down the lemon juice to about 1 Tblsp, but blend in some raw dates or about 1 Tbls. healthy liquid sweetener (like honey) or more to taste.

2. almond pudding. Soak raw almonds in more than enough water to cover all day or overnight. After they are tender, drain and process till finely ground. Add raw dates and a little liquid a bit at a time to blend till it is as sweet and as thick as you like it. (The ratio is roughly 1 cup of nuts to 1/2 cup of water.) For liquid you can use anything in the "milk" department, ranging from organic cow cream to soy milk, or plain water. A thinner liquid may separate from the almonds with storage, but just stir it back in. Flavour as you like: cinnamon, vanilla, or ...... (I just made one with diced home-candied orange peel, cardamom, and orange flower-water. Yum!)

3. open-face pie crust. An alternative to a conventional graham cracker crumb pie crust. Process 2 cups of raw nuts, dry or pre-soaked, till coursely ground. Blend in 1 cup of dried fruit (dates are always good, but others work, too,) processed just until you have a sort of "dough" that will hold its shape when you scrunch it into a small ball, not further. You can add spice (like cinnamon) or cocoa powder or not, as you wish. Pack into a baggie for your camping trip. To use, press the mixture against the bottom and sides of an oiled pie pan. Fill this with any no-bake healthy pie filling-- or bake with a filling, as you wish. Try this as the base for a baked tofu "cheese" cake! An easy no-bake filling might be topping the cashew cream with fresh fruit.

For local foodists, there are great sources of raw dates around Death Valley NP and southwestern Arizona!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:

Maggie
You mean Wal-Mart people?