Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #121
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?
On the USDA's updated "food pyramid" from 2005, it's exactly on the line between fruit and vegetables, and so can count as either when you've working out your meal plan.

Interestingly, on the 2005 food pyramid, dry beans and nuts (peanuts are actually dry beans) count as "meat" not as vegetables or grains because protein is protein, whether it's animal protein or vegetable protein. So if you want to go meatless during the Lenten season, nuts are a good way to keep your vegetarian meals balanced.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
As I'm driving down the road reading these forums on the Talkatap App, I looked into the cooler beside me. Here's the food I'm carrying (healthy or not):

- raw veggies
- apples
- raw almonds
- hardboiled eggs (pre-shelled)
- low-fat mozzarella cheese
- pre-cooked chicken breast
- mini salt-free pretzels

I try to make sure everything is prepped and packaged in such a way that I don't have to take my hands off the iPad while I drive (steering with my knee is a piece of cake).
Old 03-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #123
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
As I'm driving down the road reading these forums on the Talkatap App, I looked into the cooler beside me. Here's the food I'm carrying (healthy or not):

- raw veggies
- apples
- raw almonds
- hardboiled eggs (pre-shelled)
- low-fat mozzarella cheese
- pre-cooked chicken breast
- mini salt-free pretzels

I try to make sure everything is prepped and packaged in such a way that I don't have to take my hands off the iPad while I drive (steering with my knee is a piece of cake).

Cute,

however you're not convincing me.
NSA says you're at home.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
Cute,

however you're not convincing me.
NSA says you're at home.

Ken
Got me! I want a credit on my Verizon Account for "NSA offset fee".
Old 03-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #125
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
Got me! I want a credit on my Verizon Account for "NSA offset fee".
Actually, I believe all the hidden fees they tack on after they tell you how it much it is going to cost per month are funding the effort to keep tabs on us.

How's that for a conspiracy theory?

Ken
Old 03-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #126
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
After so much virtuous discussion, maybe it's time to talk about why red wine is good for your heart.

Red wine, antioxidants and resveratrol: Good for your heart? - Mayo Clinic

(If you catch the link, maybe an image flashed in your mind's eye, as it did mine, about the lab mice relaxing after a hard day of lab tests, with a nice glass of malbec.)
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #127
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
red wine is such a treat. Good for you in many ways, and so very relaxing

I enjoy a piece of 80% dark chocolate with mine
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #128
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
After so much virtuous discussion, maybe it's time to talk about why red wine is good for your heart.

Red wine, antioxidants and resveratrol: Good for your heart? - Mayo Clinic

(If you catch the link, maybe an image flashed in your mind's eye, as it did mine, about the lab mice relaxing after a hard day of lab tests, with a nice glass of malbec.)

And here's why non alcoholic red wine is even better.

Non-alcoholic red wine may lower blood pressure - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...-sorry/262128/

I found that after avoiding things with added sugar added for a few weeks, that unsweetened dark bakers chocolate tastes great. It's 100% dark chocolate.

Ken
Old 03-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #129
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I am not a big fan of the 100% stuff, though I use pure cocoa and sweeten it with a touch of Stevia.

Say a prayer for Doug of Doug&Maggie, he had heart failure and is recovering here in Georgia.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #130
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
So sorry to hear this-- Maggie, if you're reading this thread, pass along our best get-well soon wishes.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #131
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Prayers for you two!! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
Say a prayer for Doug of Doug&Maggie, he had heart failure and is recovering here in Georgia.
Oh crap. This is so sad to hear. Sending out best wishes.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Hibby....I just sent you a private message.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Wierdstuff, got it and responded!

Doug&Maggie, our best to you... Our family is praying for your quick recovery!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:50 AM   #135
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
A lot of research on Resistant Starches has been published lately. The amazing results from adding RS to your diet include curing Type 2 diabetes. There is a lot out there,this one article is extra good..

Resistant Starches
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #136

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
A lot of research on Resistant Starches has been published lately. The amazing results from adding RS to your diet include curing Type 2 diabetes. There is a lot out there,this one article is extra good..

Resistant Starches
As a diabetic, this is a subject near and dear to my heart and pancreas, and one on which I try to stay well-informed.

There is no such thing (yet) as a cure for diabetes. At best, you may go from a medication-controlled diabetic to a diet-controlled diabetic. But diabetes itself is the inability of the body to self-regulate the production and/or use of insulin, and that doesn't go away, even if you are able to maintain artificial control by means of some dietary supplement.

Those who don't want a mini-lecture, feel free to stop reading here…

The only research that I'm aware of that actually has the potential to cure (some) diabetics is stem cell research where they take stem cells extracted from your own bone marrow (to minimize the risk of rejection) and inject them into your pancreas. In animal testing, this has proven effective in about 25% of cases, but another 25% developed pancreatic cancer instead, so the technique isn't ready for testing on humans. Interestingly, stem cells extracted from human bone marrow has been injected into a mouse's pancreas, and the stem cells actually grew mouse pancreas cells, not human cells! Whether the use of human stem cells in mice contributed to the cancer rate, and if the cancer rate would be reduced by using mouse stem cells in mice and human stem cells in humans has yet to be verified.

There are several different diabetic syndromes, each with a different cause, and each with a different treatment.
1 - You can't control your diet, and overdose on carbohydrates. As your body gains weight, your pancreas doesn't, and so has difficulty producing enough insulin for your body mass even though your pancreas is healthy otherwise. Ruthless control of diet, as well as medications such as Metaformin can control this. Many pre-diabetics are in this group as well.
2 - Pancreas dysfunction. In a Type 1, the pancreas produces no insulin at all. In a Type 2, the pancreas doesn't produce enough. Usually treated by injecting supplemental insulin. I'm in this category.
3 - Liver dysfunction. Your liver is responsible for converting fat to glucose, and conversely, converting glucose to fat.
4 - Muscles are insulin-resistant. Though the body makes plenty of insulin, the muscles can't use it to convert glucose to energy. The only treatment possible for this diabetic syndrome is exercise.
5 - Kidney dysfunction - The kidneys don't properly filter excess glucose from the blood. Some diuretic medications or supplements can treat this, but advanced cases require dialysis.

So, when anybody claims to be able to cure diabetes, my first question is, "Which diabetic syndrome will it treat?" If the answer is, "Huh?" then I know that it's all hype because they know not whereof they speak.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #137
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Good post, Pro.
I am skeptical of so called Resistant Starch "cures" without double-blind studies etc.
The stem-cell research you cited sounds weird but interesting. Makes me laugh to think, how related is the human to a mouse? Our stem-cells proved beneficial for a mouses' pancreas? Science...oh so interesting. Anyway, good post.
Mockinbrd
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:48 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
There is a lot of nutritional information about RS and the success of Type 2 diabetics with it. Just take a look for yourselves.

Be skeptical if you like, I woudl rather choose the healthy options available. And no I am not diabetic. But I have lowered my fasting BG to under 100 using RS, and heard about many great results from others. Including curing irritable bowel syndrome and more.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #139

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
There is a lot of nutritional information about RS and the success of Type 2 diabetics with it. Just take a look for yourselves.

Be skeptical if you like, I woudl rather choose the healthy options available. And no I am not diabetic. But I have lowered my fasting BG to under 100 using RS, and heard about many great results from others. Including curing irritable bowel syndrome and more.
If you're not diabetic, then your fasting blood glucose should be around 90mg/dl anyway. So for a non-diabetic to get their fasting blood glucose below 100mg/dl isn't particularly noteworthy. Sorry. But as long as you're happy with the results, I'm happy for you. I won't try to make you jump off the Resistant Starch bandwagon as long as you don't try to make me jump on.

Resistant Starches are actually nothing new; only the buzzwords are new. Before people started calling them Resistant Starches, they were called "Low Glycemic Index" foods.

As for being skeptical, I'm skeptical because I have an endocrinologist who explains this stuff to me, and a diabetic nutritionist that I consult with about my meal plan. I get the rest of my admittedly layman's knowledge about diabetes from documented medical studies by MD's and PhDs, not from journalists' articles.

For example, a study by Nutritional Metabolics Laboratory in London in 2009 had this to say about Resistant Starches:
Quote:
Though positive effects on glucose/insulin modulation have been associated with consumption of resistant starch along with fiber or other indigestible carbohydrates, low carbohydrate dieting led to greater improvements in glycemic control, and more frequent medication reduction/elimination than a low glycemic index diet (which by definition has more resistant starch) in diabetics.
I have nothing more to say on the subject, because I don't want to claim greater knowledge than I actually have.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #140
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Low glycemic foods and resistant starches differ in that RS is not digested by the body but by the bacteria on our gut. Low glycemic foods are hose that do not raise blood sugar much. The bacteria are maintained in a healthier state that contributes to overall well being. It even can affect mental states like depression, improve sleep and dreaming.

Anyway if anyone is interested in all this I suggest you check the links I posted earlier.
Do it or don't it's your life to live. Signing off....
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!