Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
There are a lot of new Airstreamers here, so, welcome to the forum and congratulations as you begin Airstreaming. Enjoy!

To the experienced hands, thank you. This thread exemplifies how helpful, knowledgable and supportive this community is.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:00 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Make wide turns ...

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #43

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Stay focused on the task at hand. Lots of details and if necessary make a task list for prior to departure and setup. Don't talk to friends or fellow campers as you are doing your prep or arrival tasks. It's too easy to wander off course and miss something. You will have lots of time to talk once you are done.

Look twice at everything. Yes you know you did that task but it doesn't hurt to look a second time. As you get more experienced the tasks will be more committed to memory but beware that I've made more errors as tasks become automatic. That's where the double check has come into play. It catches those little things that inattention or over confidence causes you to miss.

I always do one final check, when I pull out of my driveway or campsite onto the road, I stop and get out. I walk the site looking for anything left behind. I then give a visual check to each side of the trailer looking to make sure everything is closed and secure. Then I make one last check of the hitch connections making sure all hitch elements are connected and secure. Once that is done I feel confident for on the road travel.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 03:48 PM   #44
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Our checklists, hopefully useful.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #45
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Politely decline help, from your camping neighbours, in striking camp. They will distract you from your routine and make you more prone to missing something important or leaving valuable equipment behind. As a corollary, you will find that you and your partner will assume different tasks - don't interfere with their routine.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:34 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but I have found it is nice to have a battery-powered drill and appropriate socket, for use in raising and lowering the stabilizers. Speaking of the stabilizers, be sure to grease the screws at home or at your first campsite. This will keep them from rusting and make them operate more easily and more quietly.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #47

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Learned My first newbie lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjski View Post
We finally found a week to take our 25 Flying Cloud on her maiden voyage, heading to Hill Country and perhaps Galveston beach in Texas (we live in the Fort Worth area). Since we are newbie campers and Airstream owners, we're looking for wisdom from you experienced folks. Any tips? What are we forgetting? Make sure we bring ____??
Well I just got my first newbie lesson tonight. I was hitching the trailer up, which is sitting in my driveway, and learned that you need to raise the stabilizers before you settle the trailer onto the hitch, luckily nothing got bent.

Thank you everybody for your wisdom,

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
Matt, we may have met you at Bay Area. We had the beagle and you and your other were there to test drive your trailer. Maybe not, but it was good to meet you guys either way
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #49

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
Matt, we may have met you at Bay Area. We had the beagle and you and your other were there to test drive your trailer. Maybe not, but it was good to meet you guys either way
I think we did meet, I remember a couple with a beagle. We visited it a couple of times while waiting for it be be prepped and then we found out my wife could not get the day off. That delayed it another week or two which resulted in our visiting our trailer a number of times. One advantage of living with in 5 miles of the dealer.

May be we will meet on the road someplace.

Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:22 PM   #50
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Please, for your own sanity, use this as an opportunity to start your own "departure" checklist. Otherwise, you may next find yourself pulling away with the jack down or a window unlatched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Well I just got my first newbie lesson tonight. I was hitching the trailer up, which is sitting in my driveway, and learned that you need to raise the stabilizers before you settle the trailer onto the hitch, luckily nothing got bent.

Thank you everybody for your wisdom,

Matti

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:53 AM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Stockbridge , Georgia
Checklist

I had mine laminated. Small hole punched in upper left corner and a key chain through it. Use a china marker to check off as you go through it.
themartaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:30 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
move the picnic table out of the way, then back in.
do 2 visual inspections, then drive out.
take walkie talkies, use them when it's dark or tight when parking.
leatherman oht.
oxx coffee maker.
dyson v8, nothing, i repeat nothing, works like this one.
lots and lots of paper towels.
take 2 portable fans.
several flashlights.
take pictures with a camera, leica, and not a phone. there's a reason why my camera doesnt make phone calls....
don't overpack, try to limit what you take. if you think you "might" use it, leave it behind. you will survive without all the shoes and outfits.
i travel with my water tank full.
i dump my tanks daily.
you want full hookups.
while driving, look, look, and look again.
i never cook in my rv, but occasionally, i do use the microwave.
take wine.
take tools.
don't let bugs in.
happy trails
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
2022 28' International
2015 27' FB International
Des Allemands , Louisiana
Thank you for the link to your site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Checklists are your friends. We have them for packing, arriving in camp and leaving camp. Ours can be found on our home page: http://www.casarocinante.com

Keep a notepad of some kind and note things you wish you had brought. Also note things you brought but did not need.

Have a wonderful time!
I was able to look at your site and copy the check lists. Much appreciated!!!
AraExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Tips for Freezer, Fridge and Icebox

Eventually you may find it very informative to "know" how your cold food is doing. And without opening the door loosing precious cold to find out.

$30.00~$40.00 (Amazon)Wireless base thermometer with temp and memory for inside. Comes with additional 3 channel weatherproof small wireless remotes. Each shows F or Celsius and humidity with high low memory and alarms.
1. Lives in freezer
2. In fridge below
3. Separate big igloo ice box (or swing it to tow vehicle cabin, truck bed, outside etc. )
4. Base unit with built in sensors / display

Found after a good pre-cooling everything for a day, then loading food and monitoring, with no LP to the Dometic could drive full 6 hours in 80F temps and temps it still stayed below freezing in freezer and low 40s in refrigerator and igloo. (Pics not from this test and for illustration).

Always assumed we had to run LP while traveling and worried if pulling into gas station or through tunnels (some states outlaw running LP at these ).

Usually ya open doors to then determine how their doing. No more !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3057.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	288120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0224.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	288121  

Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
McDonough , Georgia
Ditto on the remote thermometer - I found a cheap one years ago in a closeout bin somewhere, not fancy, but does tell me the max/min for temp inside fridge + max/min temp wherever the part with the readout is sitting (usually on the galley counter) for the time period since I last cleared it. Nice to place sensor in different parts of fridge to check against what the fixed refrigerator sensor says.

And we double-check that the entry door deadbolt is locked - don't want to rely on just the latch to keep it closed underway.

Also, and I know it's on one of the above checklists, last thing before pulling out we check rear light operation, each and every time. Once found rear turn signal on old SOB not working, light looked fine from outside, cover not broken, but turned out bulb was broken (how this happened, who knows).

Also can't emphasize enough, look up, down, all around one more time before leaving.
Kittycatcat is offline   Reply With Quote