Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Additional item

Forgot an important item

Throw a step stool in your TV

It will save you allot of frustration your first trip out if you decide to put out the awning
Spinonedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #22
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Checklists are your friends. We have them for packing, arriving in camp and leaving camp. Ours can be found on our home page: http://www.casarocinante.com

Keep a notepad of some kind and note things you wish you had brought. Also note things you brought but did not need.

Have a wonderful time!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
For the newbies and marginally experienced; find and attend an RV Boot Camp. It will be time and money VERY well spent. The Escapees RV Club run an EXCELLENT RVBC (often over a weekend). Other groups offer Boot Camp too. Mistakes make with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. In RVBC, all the systems found on modern RVs are explained and demystified. RVBC graduates are safer, more knowledgeable RVers (and smarter RV buyers if they complete RVBC before they shop).
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Yeah, that checklist thing. Don't just make one out ... use it ... every time. Look at any examples you can lay your hands on, then make your own, in an order that seems logical to you. Modify it as you find the need.
Gneiss Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
If you're inexperienced in backing up, get some practice, maybe in a big empty Sears parking lot after the store is closed. Mark off a section as an RV parking space and practice backing into it at an angle. Before I got the hang of backing into parking spaces, there was usually someone who would take pity on me after watching me make 5-6 tries, and would offer to back it in for me. But don't count on that. Pull well past the space you want to back into before starting to back up. Either use a spotter or stop often and walk around and look to make sure the trailer is backing in the right direction. It is easy to back up too far and crash into a post or tree limb, so slow way down and check every few feet, if necessary, if you don't have a spotter. If you're pulling out of a space with bushes close on each side, onto a narrow trailer park road, it can be a challenge to turn wide enough to avoid getting scrapes down the side of your trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Hope to meet SpinOneDad down the road, like the way he thinks. Lots of good response info already provided. Experience
first trip 4 years ago is check the tires. We had 4 year old tires on the AS that I did not check and had a blow-out, major inconvenience on I-10 in the Imperial Valley desert, plus damage to the under-skin. Other than that, parse what is important from the other responses and ENJOY!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
What Dames7 said. You don't want to be 300 miles from home on that first trip. Hill Country should be fine.
Candominium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:54 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
Best place in Galveston is Dellanara RV park. Just got back from there 2weeks ago. You are right on the beach. State park there-would not recommend
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 04:38 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Driftwood , Texas
We are also trying to carve out some time for our initial shake-down trip. We plan to follow the advice of dames7, which was also suggested by a friend.

Bob662, I would also like your sample checklists if it's not too much trouble. Please email them to me at wgj8407@gmail.com Thanks
wgjairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
On our shake-down we found that our water pump was not working and a leak under the sink.

I fit the leak and stop by the dealership on the pump, a wire came loose on the pump, it was a easy fix for them.

You want to turn everything on (electric & water) several times and most important is to look for water leaks.

I own a 50ft sail in Hawaii and have made the trip from the main land and back a few time, the best I did was 19 days out. And we had problems, nothing I could not fix because I knew every inch of the Boat and how everything work, as I know about my AS.

One of the worst things AS did is the lights in the outside compartment, they are very easy to turn on when you put stuff in there and don't realize that they are on, run batteries down.

Always when towing down the road, turn your lights on, I see a lot of others traveling with no lights, not safe thing, like being out at sea with no moon very dark and the shipping lane waiting to get run over.

Don't worry you will be a pro in a few trips.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Checklists

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgjairstream View Post

I would also like your sample checklists if it's not too much trouble.
They're on the way!

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
And Duct Tape a must have for any unforeseen problems, like the one I had 3 weeks ago, tripped while setting up the AS, broke right wrist in two places. So took some card board and tape made a cask for 1 day until I could get to the VA in NM to check out the damage, and yes broken.

So, lesson is make sure Wife can set-up and take down and hook-up and drive, we were at the Balloon Fest in NM with 150 AS people and lost account of how many people ask me "WHAT HAPPEN", good news got a lot of help from them so we could enjoy our time there.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:45 AM   #33

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
Send me an email address and I'll forward the checklists we use, plus another as a "sample" from an experienced camper.
Matti@kuicmail.com, My wife & I are making our maiden voyage also and would love a copy of your check list. Hope this posted correctly, this is my first post though I have lurked for a few weeks. Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:34 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
As newbies to trailer camping ourselves, when we picked up our FC last year, our dealer gave us a copy of the "Newbies Guide to Airstreaming" by Luhr and Cornelius. It is very helpful, funny, includes checklists, and we refer to it all the time as we are ramping up our knowledge of AS camping. Practice setting up the awning and remember to offset it. We forgot to do that once and were enjoying a rainstorm in the trailer when one of the arms broke. The aftermath was very scary- fortunately no one was hurt, but that was "learning the hard way" for us. Hope you enjoy your trailer- we love every minute
DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:39 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Dublin , Ohio
Would love the checklist also as we just bought our first camper (Airstream 30)
Mark Lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Heading out on first trip - any tips?

Spend some time with your TV. I popped a turbo intercooler hose on my F-250. That occurred on the way home after a wonderful first adventure in our 28 Serenity Intl. The trailer performed flawlessly. Some things just happen but I highly recommend give your TV as much scrutiny as your trailer.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Mansfield , Ohio
Here we go!

First of all, thank you SO SO much for all of the great advice! We have read, re-read and read it a 3rd time. We've printed out the wonderful checklists and watched many YouTube videos. We've packed everything we can think of (leaving behind the kitchen sink, since we have one, haha) (yes, we've got wine!) and we're loading up the TV. I'm taking my laptop, mainly for the how-to videos we might need, and also to post any updates on our first AS adventure! So check back, everyone, and see how we're surviving! We're a bit nervous and excited all at once! Watch out, South Texas, here we come!
sjski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:00 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Make or find a checklist use it! Don't rely on memory ( hmm did I pull up the stabilizers?) do a walk around each time you stop, also I like the idea of going someplace close to home for a shakedown cruise.

Mostly have fun!! You're about to embark on an adventure! Our Airstream forefathers took half the stuff we consider absolutely necessary and survived just fine. And don't forget to let us know how it all went for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #39
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The check lists. And add every new item you find you need.

Driving - look before you leap. Every time. If you can't see, stop, get out and look. Look up, look down ..... look all around. You trailer swings, so watch it. Your best safety tool is a spotter. Don't move if you can't see your spotter. Gas stations, camp sites, parking lots ........ And did you catch - LOOK DOWN? The plumbing for the dump valves may not clear driveway transitions, parking stops, curbs, tree roots. Take care and keep the plastic in place and the aluminum shiny. One last thought - stay back from the car or truck in front. Yes it takes longer to stop and some space helps with that, but we also had a truck run over a tire tread that was in the road. We missed most of it, but the stone guard caught it a bit. You need space to dodge that kind of debris.

Good luck with your shake downs. Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:35 AM   #40
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
could you please send me copies of your checklists - our e-mail is 1green1grey@gmail.com

We have been airstreaming off and on for a couple of years now, once we are on a trip we get into the swing of things but the first trip of the season i go crazy trying to think of everything. Plan to get The Toaster out of storage and heading to Big Bend next month.

Big Bend is big on our bucket list

many thanks
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote