Old 10-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
small Clorox and water spray to disinfect water/ hose connections

I have trouble remembering to crank down antenna and fan covers and to take off awning puller stick from outside hook and stow it in bumper.
get a small trash can for tp( you can set it in shower for travel)... less stuff in the black tank the better !
STOW LOOSE THINGS! They will shift no matter how flat and smooth roads are!

Old 10-13-2016, 01:05 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
To add to previous advice:
Start your refrigerator at home a few days before you plan to leave.
Put prefrozen items in the AS freezer to get the fridge colder faster.
If possible, cool other items in your home fridge before transfering to your AS fridge.
Many folks, including me, travel with the refrigerator set to Auto or LP, the propane turned on, and the "Use/Store" button set to "Use" - all necessary for the fridge to run while on the road.
If traveling in a hot zone, pull down all the window sunblock shades while traveling.
If its hot out, I often leave the shower fan vent in the open position, and/or the main (Fantastic?) vents open an inch or two while traveling.
Lock both front door locks while on the move.
Have fun

Old 10-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I'm a big fan of Checklists! Never too soon to start making them!

I have a pretty large one for packing to depart on a trip. broken down into categories such as clothing items for me / clothing for my wife, / food items we may want to take from home, maintenance tools & equipt / eintertainment an hobby stuff / etc etc.

I have this n a spreadsheet and can modify it as and when needed.

Each item has a check box. We don't take everything on every trip, so a tick in a box means we have it, an x in a box means we have decided not to take it. There should be no box without either a tick or an x when we are ready to leave, so I can quickly scan the whole list to ensure we have considered everything!

I also have checklists to cover everything I need to take when we go to pick up our trailer from storage to bring it home, also, everything we must do when preparing to leave a campground, and also a winterisation check list.

It sounds a bit over the top, and maybe it is, but the check lists has helped up avoid forgotten items or minor disasters many times, especially as we don't use the trailer too many times in a years and things can be easily forgotten - especially with increasing age and brain cells!

I keep notes and modify the checklists from time to time to keep them up to date to best suit our needs. Easily done as they are on spreadsheets.

If you don't already have any and think it could help, then a lot of the excellent suggestions you have received above could be a good start.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Bob662, thank you for offering your checklist! The site won't let me send you a PM since we're new members
Old 10-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
That's what our plan was, David and Nancy, but our weekends are always busy so we're going to have to forge ahead and learn on the go!
Old 10-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Campground guides in print aren't bad to have on hand either. Since your first trip is staying in Texas, there is a spiral bound guide for the state that you might find in some of the larger RV parts and accessory stores. We got our copy at PPL Motorhomes (Houston location). It divides the state into regions and each section of the book is color-coded to the regions map. Just glance at the printed edge to find the region of interest. This guide covers state, USACE and private facilities. I don't remember the exact title. I'll have dig our copy out of the TV.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:36 PM   #21
2016 19ft flying cloud

Spokane , Washington
Additional item

Forgot an important item

Throw a step stool in your TV

It will save you allot of frustration your first trip out if you decide to put out the awning
Old 10-13-2016, 03:34 PM   #22
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Checklists are your friends. We have them for packing, arriving in camp and leaving camp. Ours can be found on our home page: http://www.casarocinante.com

Keep a notepad of some kind and note things you wish you had brought. Also note things you brought but did not need.

Have a wonderful time!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
For the newbies and marginally experienced; find and attend an RV Boot Camp. It will be time and money VERY well spent. The Escapees RV Club run an EXCELLENT RVBC (often over a weekend). Other groups offer Boot Camp too. Mistakes make with RVs are often expensive and, sometimes dangerous. In RVBC, all the systems found on modern RVs are explained and demystified. RVBC graduates are safer, more knowledgeable RVers (and smarter RV buyers if they complete RVBC before they shop).
Old 10-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Greenback , Tennessee
Yeah, that checklist thing. Don't just make one out ... use it ... every time. Look at any examples you can lay your hands on, then make your own, in an order that seems logical to you. Modify it as you find the need.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
If you're inexperienced in backing up, get some practice, maybe in a big empty Sears parking lot after the store is closed. Mark off a section as an RV parking space and practice backing into it at an angle. Before I got the hang of backing into parking spaces, there was usually someone who would take pity on me after watching me make 5-6 tries, and would offer to back it in for me. But don't count on that. Pull well past the space you want to back into before starting to back up. Either use a spotter or stop often and walk around and look to make sure the trailer is backing in the right direction. It is easy to back up too far and crash into a post or tree limb, so slow way down and check every few feet, if necessary, if you don't have a spotter. If you're pulling out of a space with bushes close on each side, onto a narrow trailer park road, it can be a challenge to turn wide enough to avoid getting scrapes down the side of your trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Bandera , Texas
Hope to meet SpinOneDad down the road, like the way he thinks. Lots of good response info already provided. Experience
first trip 4 years ago is check the tires. We had 4 year old tires on the AS that I did not check and had a blow-out, major inconvenience on I-10 in the Imperial Valley desert, plus damage to the under-skin. Other than that, parse what is important from the other responses and ENJOY!
Old 10-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
What Dames7 said. You don't want to be 300 miles from home on that first trip. Hill Country should be fine.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
Best place in Galveston is Dellanara RV park. Just got back from there 2weeks ago. You are right on the beach. State park there-would not recommend