Old 01-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
2017 FC 28 Twin

Plymouth , Indiana
Hail & Heat ?'s

As some of you have noticed I have been posting a few ?'S regarding AS, we are going to buy but as we go through this process with all the ?'s we have and discussions (which is part of the enjoyment) these two ?'s after research seem to kinda be vague with specific answers #1 are AS's more prone to Hail damage then other TT's or are they in the same class as a automobile? #2 are AS's hotter then other TT's when in the sun or just hot weather? When reading through a thread there was a mention of feeling the side of the trailer that was in the sun in my thinking it should be about the same. The concern is 1 or 2 Ac units are needed and let's say you have a Classic but only 30 amp power might be a problem. Also is upgrading to after market skylight recommended if the unit will be in the sun a lot during the summer months? Thanks for all your Help!

Dragline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Let's see if I can help here. Have been in two hail storms both in Texas in two different AS. Both units didn't suffer any damage. That being said damage is a function of hail size. Near as I could determine the hail size we experienced was between the size of a dime and a quarter. Also as you might expect hail damage could increase if you are moving vs being stopped. We were parked. No idea how AS stacks up against other mfg in a side by side test. On your question on AC in hot weather meaning in excess of 98 degrees F. I have found that the AS with a single AC is no hotter than other trailers of the same size. In temps in excess of 100 degrees with a single AC it is a struggle to keep the inside temps below 85 degrees. Our new FC 30 has a 50 amp service and 2 ACs. What a difference. Better inside cooling with less AC noise. Street side and curb side awnings help knock off some of the radiant heat but not so much that you would notice it inside with temps in excess of 100 degrees outside regardless of the kind of rig you have.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote