Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 AM   #341
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
I am just pissed that my entire collection of flintlock muzzleloaders aren't allowed in Canada for the transit. I wanted so much to take on a grizzly with a .62 caliber smoothbore!

:-P
Old 11-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #342
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Do I understand it is easier to carry a shotgun vs a hand gun across state lines? The "Judge" looks like a handgun.
In the way many "interpret" the "law", I would not be surprised if they called the "Judge" a "sawed off shotgun"....

If you put a "slug" in a "shotgun" you have a badddddd a-- rifle!!! Shhh.. Do not tell those who are so much smarter than us and "make laws"...
Old 11-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #343
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
Greenbrier , Arkansas
J. Morgan.. From my short time exposure to these forums I have formed the opinion that many things you say carry proper weight,, Hope we meet up sometime here in the Natural state. I'm betting I can learn from your TT experiences,, Drop us a line when you cross the state line, coming home.. would like to hear your source list for parts and pcs.. and have good travels till then.. robert
Old 11-16-2015, 08:55 AM   #344
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Who wants to go get beer pizza and wings?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #345
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Beer is evil.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:15 AM   #346
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Who wants to go get beer pizza and wings?
If we weren't several thousand miles away...
Old 11-16-2015, 09:21 AM   #347
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Beer is evil.

Brevi tempore!
Home-brew is good... it is proof God wants us happy!!! (artistic license of a quote by Benjamin Franklin..

Imagine if America might exist had there not been Tun Tavern!!!! Just sayin'
Old 11-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #348
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Beer makes me fat.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #349
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Who likes to hunt? What style? What do you hunt? Is this thread dead yet?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:29 AM   #350
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Me and the wife hunt aluminum. We are tracking down a Silver Streak.

We are going to add gun turrets.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-16-2015, 11:36 AM   #351
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
When I am sure we are going to stay in the US for the entire trip I most times have a unloaded shotgun (and some shells) in the trailer or the truck. I also sometime shoot sporting clays so it is a O/U. A couple of times I have been in a Forest Service campground near the road and had a car load of folks stop in to drink and yell for a few hours. I would have liked to know that I had something available if it turned nasty. (Which it did not). I have not seen anything in this thread that makes me want to carry a handgun in either the truck or trailer. The tricky laws still deter me from that.

I fish Yellowstone and some other places and will (but not so far) carry bear spray. I have simply not fished several times in Alaska and Yellowstone because there were much bigger things than me on the section of stream I needed. And would have made the same decision if I had been armed or had bear spray. However I do think having a bear gun in Alaska is the prudent thing to do if you are going to spend a lot of time there in a trailer. We had a grizzly walking down the path to the laundry of our campground in Haines. I think our leader had to wash his shorts again when he almost bumped into it in the dark. If I went to Alaska in the trailer again (not likely at our age) I think I would just buy a long gun when I got there and try to sell it before I left. Wished I had done that the first time.

Why would you need room to "swing" a shotgun in a trailer?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:52 AM   #352
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Sheepdog Concept

The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.”

Until the wolf shows up.

Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog. (Lt. Col. Dave Grossman)

The whole story below.

By Lt. Col Dave Grossman

Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident.” This is true. Remember, the murder rate is six per 100,000 per year, and the aggravated assault rate is four per 1,000 per year. What this means is that the vast majority of Americans are not inclined to hurt one another.

We may well be in the most violent times in history, but violence is still remarkably rare. This is because most citizens are kind, decent people who are not capable of hurting each other, except by accident or under extreme provocation. They are sheep.

Then there are the wolves and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy. Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

Then there are sheepdogs and I’m a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf. Or, as a sign in one California law enforcement agency put it, “We intimidate those who intimidate others.”

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath–a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? Then you are a sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero’s path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

We know that the sheep live in denial, that is what makes them sheep. They do not want to believe that there is evil in the world. They can accept the fact that fires can happen, which is why they want fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, fire alarms and fire exits throughout their kids’ schools. But many of them are outraged at the idea of putting an armed police officer in their kid’s school. Our children are thousands of times more likely to be killed or seriously injured by school violence than fire, but the sheep’s only response to the possibility of violence is denial. The idea of someone coming to kill or harm their child is just too hard, and so they chose the path of denial.

The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheep dog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours.

Still, the sheepdog disturbs the sheep. He is a constant reminder that there are wolves in the land. They would prefer that he didn’t tell them where to go, or give them traffic tickets, or stand at the ready in our airports, in camouflage fatigues, holding an M-16. The sheep would much rather have the sheepdog cash in his fangs, spray paint himself white, and go, “Baa.” Until the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.

The above is creditted to Lt Col David Grossman

I subscibe to this concept. So I prepare myself accoordingly. Where you choose to place yourself in this concept might dictate your idea of being "properly prepared"

Joe D
Old 11-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #353

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
SuEllyn and I are long time avid Moose hunter, although we do all of our hunting with cameras.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9284.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	252230   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9348.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	469.2 KB
ID:	252231  

Name:	DSC_9436.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	252232   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9450.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	252233  

Name:	DSC_9610.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	252234  
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 11-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #354
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
Sheepdog Concept - Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
I like it.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:20 PM   #355
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I guess that makes several of us sheepdogs. I like it.

I don't plan to paint myself white or go "baaa" either.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #356
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I like it.
Me too. I'm a sheep dog.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #357
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Thanks for that visual. Now I just see a bunch of Furries with guns.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #358
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
If you want to be a sheepdog you have to get up and get off the porch and run with the big dogs unafraid but prepared.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
Old 11-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #359
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
Sheepdog Concept

The above is credited to Lt Col David Grossman
Much as I appreciate LTC Grossman, I believe the sheepdog concept originated with the legendary COL Jeff Cooper (USMC, Ret'd, and now deceased).

Having bought all of LTC Grossman's books, and attended one of his seminars, I urge everyone interested in this subject to attend one if you can. You will find it very worthwhile.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:10 PM   #360
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
When younger, I was given 3 shells and told "bring back at least 3 ducks. No problem then... Now, as then, I only "hunt" what I hope to eat. If I gain some satisfaction from it, it's no problem.

For the past 20 years I have been able to "source" my food at a "grocery"... With exception of venison, mallard, teal, wood duck.... But, I have family who "supply" those if they have a "good season"....a good harvest... Just as someone might share the fruit of their fields, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, peas... Etc. nothing goes to waste, unless it is meant to be discarded. Years ago, our family did "bouchere's".. Or "butchering" of pigs. They used "everything but the squeal"... And if you haven't been to a Cuban or Philipino Pig Roast, you don't know what you are missing!!!!!

So, yeah, I can hunt, but the government and "land owners" have narrowed the available hunting area, and "managed wildlife" to near extinction in many places. I will just leave that one there... It is cheaper to Airsream and buy my "wild caught" salmon ...
Closed Thread