Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:15 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bettendorf , Iowa
Never ever...

Sixty four years old, been to 22 countries including Israel, India, Jordan, Syria, Mexico, Greece and to forty six states and to most Canadian provinces and never wanted or needed a gun for protection. I have included my daughters on most trips and they know how to be careful and smart! They can shoot, but will never carry for protection.

Have thousands of miles in my Airstream. I also have thousands of miles hiking in Appalachia, the Rockies and Himalayas. I have driven over a million miles for work and play! Go to Chicago, St Louis, New Orleans and Washington DC because I love those cities! Never ever carried my gun there!

Have been hunting and still will never take my gun on a trip that is not for hunting. I have a baseball bat and pepper spray in my tow vehicle. Once and if I ever need to use these I will not stop.

Never ever will use my gun on someone unless the Zombie apocalypse happens!

And on another side note, most tow vehicles are way larger than needed.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:20 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
While I have had an AZ CCW permit for over six years, the hodge podge of rules and regulations create a literal mine field for the unwary traveler. I would be confident of few issues in the states with reciprocity, but once crossing the Mississippi River it gets very confusing.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 11-12-2015, 11:26 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
A gun is just another useless piece of equipment that will needlessly complicate your life. Declare your freedom from the hysterical NRA's sales messages.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:29 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Keswick , VA
So a few years ago, maybe 8?, when we were in New Mexico 3 escaped convicts jumped a husband and wife camping. They were murdered, their camper set on fire and their vehicle stolen. Since then, we go "prepared", to the best of our ability. Sometimes prepared means pepper spray, or bear spray next to the fire extinguisher.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #65

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Magnolia , Texas
I will travel from TX to PA and so far as I can tell only one state along the way will not reciprocate with my Texas CHL. For this state I will lock the gun up without ammunition and carry the ammunition separately. Although if stopped and searched this will not necessarily be a solution in that one state. However, it is likely that state's laws are illegal an unconstitutional as so long as I do not stop for long in that state and am only passing through. However, I certainly do not want to be the one to contest that state's unconstitutional law.

Anyway, I would not even consider to carry a gun in my RV without a CHL and proper training.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #66
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
OK, one post...cannot be a troll, unless they return with negative posts...my response is "Welcome to Air Forums"
X2 Msmoto. Through kindness maybe they'll become a proud supporting member like us Bold. They are curious just like me. I'm just asking because I'm solo. Maybe a dog would deter people better than a gun. I once had a 140lb wolf hybrid... nothing was stolen or bothered in Los Angeles.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #67

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Lewisburg , Pennsylvania
This is my first post. My wife and son Patrick bought a 2015 AS this past summer and we love especially my 7 yr old son Patrick. Everyday I read the forum and find every post useful and fun with the exception of this one. The forum has been priceless in helping us to navigate AS ownership. I would ask that all keep the discussion centered around AS. There are plenty of forums that deal with guns, politics religion and all sorts of wedge issues. We are here because we share a common interest let's stick to it
Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #68
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidIowa View Post
Sixty four years old, been to 22 countries including Israel, India, Jordan, Syria, Mexico, Greece and to forty six states and to most Canadian provinces and never wanted or needed a gun for protection. I have included my daughters on most trips and they know how to be careful and smart! They can shoot, but will never carry for protection.

Have thousands of miles in my Airstream. I also have thousands of miles hiking in Appalachia, the Rockies and Himalayas. I have driven over a million miles for work and play! Go to Chicago, St Louis, New Orleans and Washington DC because I love those cities! Never ever carried my gun there!

Have been hunting and still will never take my gun on a trip that is not for hunting. I have a baseball bat and pepper spray in my tow vehicle. Once and if I ever need to use these I will not stop.

The world is actually a safer place than it used to be. That's a reality despite the picture painted by the media. Your chances of dying at the hands of another person are at the lowest they have ever been in history.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:36 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
I am new to this RV life travel thing. What is the definitive word on traveling with a gun for security. I have to think moving between states with a gun may present a problem? Or is it only if you are caught???
I'm serious.
I did not see this thread until there were 5 pages. If it stays in play it will continue to build "ad infinitum"as everyone with a "you know what" also has an opinion, esp on this subject. BOTTOM LINE: if you feel safer with a weapon, do your homework, get legal with it where you live, understand the laws in places you plan to visit before you get there, keep it stored safely and maintain it properly.

The easiest weapon to stay legal with is a shot gun. I don't know about all, but many states require no permit to carry one in your vehicle. Some states have laws that govern how you store and carry it but few require a permit. I don't know about Canada. Just planning to "not get caught" is like playing Russian Roulette.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Farmville , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
You are right that firearms laws differ from state to state and sometimes city to city. A very good reference is "The Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, available here:

Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States | Gun Laws for the 50 States

A useful online reference is Handgunlaw.us
There are two sets of gun laws that come to bear here. One is concealed carry permits (CCP) and the issue of reciprocity (honoring of other state's CCPs) among states.

The other laws that come to bear are castle doctrine laws, which also vary state to state. Basically, castle doctrine says you do not need a permit to defend your home (and when traveling, your Airstream is your home). If a state has a castle doctrine law, then my understanding is you can carry your gun in your trailer without a CCP. But, if you want to carry a gun in your tow vehicle in the glove box or on your person, you will need a CCP and reciprocity for the state you are in.

And, the Canadian is right; don't even bother with them. Their laws are wrong headed, but they do enforce them and will confiscate any gun they find. There is a way to get pre-approval for your guns, but it is not very gun friendly.
2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab (Silver)
VA Plate: WYO2VA
Old 11-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #71
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidleepark View Post
If you are limiting your travel to the US any gun that you legally own can be in your trailer or motor home if it is put away, e.g., in a closet.
This could not be further from the truth.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:47 AM   #72
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffmanP View Post
And, the Canadian is right; don't even bother with them. Their laws are wrong headed, but they do enforce them and will confiscate any gun they find. There is a way to get pre-approval for your guns, but it is not very gun friendly.
In your opinion, maybe so, but they are our laws and have served us well for a while now. And you know what they say about opinions, right?
Old 11-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #73
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleareye View Post
A gun is just another useless piece of equipment that will needlessly complicate your life. Declare your freedom from the hysterical NRA's sales messages.

And that pesky oppressive Bill of Rights too!

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Guns on the Road

Don't be a victim , carry.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 11-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I bet the vast majority of the NJ politicians who support removing gun rights from citizens enjoy the safety of armed security.

#JustSayin....

Brevi tempore!
To quote my friend Howie, " the best politicians money can buy". Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 11-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #76
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
My hubby and I both carry on a very regular basis. Our camping is usually done in our home state. Most times I take our girls to the campground a few days earlier than hubby because of his work schedule. If my gun isn't on my person, it's very easily accessible in either the truck or camper. Our daughters have also been trained in proper firearms safety. Both are excellent shots although the older daughter really doesn't enjoy it. We have very frank discussions and frequent training on personal safety. One can never be too cautious with two beautiful daughters!
Old 11-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #77
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
In your opinion, maybe so, but they are our laws and have served us well for a while now. And you know what they say about opinions, right?
Yea it's not a fair comparison.

I find it a bit disingenuous when someone compares the US to some small European country with a population of 10 million where everyone lives next to each other and completely different cultural values.

People in cities seem to forget how vast our country is, and just how many places there aren't other people around. I can understand gun laws in places like DC and Chicago. But I don't think they should apply to rural middle of nowhere Wyoming where 1 sheriff is responsible for 1 million square acres
Old 11-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #78
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
We carried Doug's handguns into 47 of the lower 48 states....in their soft case, in a cabinet.

If one were to do something which prompted a police search of your vehicle, there could be a problem....but then, if they are searching your vehicle you are already in trouble.

Being law-abiding and never brandishing his weapon, over 46,000 miles in 6 1/2 years we didn't have a problem.

It's kind of like "what is in your cup" at a public campground that doesn't allow alcohol. Don't give them cause to ask, and you won't have a problem.

Common sense and discretion usually are sufficient.

Maggie
The operative word above is "usually". You can be as pure as the driven snow and the police may still want to search your car.

When I was a teenager (a long time ago, in Indianapolis, Indiana) kids in cars were routinely stopped by police for no reason (and no ticket issued) and their cars searched. Meanwhile in civics class we were being told that police had to have "probable cause" to search your car.

One time the Marion County Sheriff spoke at a school convocation and when he took questions I asked about that. With a perfectly straight face he said, "The policy of the Marion County Sheriff's Department is that minors in a car unaccompanied by adults are presumed to be up to no good." So there.

A few years ago, while returning from a caravan in the Canadian Rockies, our trailer was searched and my wife and I were separately interrogated by US Customs and Border Protection. Of course, they don't need a warrant since you are crossing the border. Evidently the appearance of a couple in their 70s accompanied by a Cocker Spaniel, a Schnauzer, and a Schnoodle constituted "reasonable articulatable suspicion". My wife's and my stories agreed with each other (and come to it, we had a whole caravan of Airstreamers who could have testified as to our itinerary), we had no contraband, and eventually were allowed to proceed.

All perfectly in order. But we decided we wouldn't be taking the Airstream to Canada again.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidIowa View Post

In NJ if you are carrying a baseball bat you better be in possession of a ball and glove. You can't make this crap up. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 11-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
There are some things we do because the very remote consequences of NOT doing them are dire, indeed. We wear seatbelts even though the chances of being in an otherwise fatal accident are extremely remote. We put kids in car seats for the same reason. We carry protection for the same reason.

If you choose not to do any of these, it's your choice. Although the chances are remote, it could be Darwin's theory in action.

Streaminwild and Tedand PAm ask if anyone has ever been in a threatening situation. Yes. A number of years ago, we were overnighting in the Flying J in Manteca, California. The Manager of the truck stop came up to us in the restaurant and told us there had been a number of robbery and vandalism incidents lately and invited us to move our rig into the lighted parking area in front of the restaurant even though we took up 8 or 9 of his parking spaces. We were grateful and continue to use Flying J to this day - and check with the on-duty manager.

ScottinNJ makes a statement but does nothing to enlighten. Also a number of years ago I was told by a Sergeant in the Pasadena (Ca) Police that your trailer, and the living portion of your motor home, was considered a residence dwelling. On another occasion this was verified by a San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputy. When we enter CA, we check to make sure any protection we might have is in the trailer. Does anyone else have a view or does ScottinNJ want to clarify? Hasn't the Supreme Court said you have a right to keep a gun in your residence, even in the Peoples Republic of NJ?

Finally, some feel racking the slide of a Remington 870, a Mossberg 500 or a Winchester Model 12 does an awful lot to deter someone bent on nothing good. It's a distinctively soothing sound if you hold the shotgun and terrifying if you don't.
Closed Thread