Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #113
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
When you accuse someone of being dishonest for example. Smears aimed at "those on the left" or "liberal states"

This is real shame. I concluded from your comments that you had a stronger mind.

Apparently you aren't familiar with the concept of intellectual honesty. I certainly haven't accused you of being a liar. Just calling higher standards for the conversation. I forget not everyone practices debate. So if you didn't understand the langauge I was using, that is my fault for not properly conveying the message.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...tual%20honesty

Secondly, no one smeared "those on the left" - I'm on the left, maybe that would surprise you? I think one should call out ones own perceived biases. We have a tendency to seek out and perceive information that confirms our worldview while ignoring truths that disconfirm it. I see these examples on both spectrums of the debate. Part of why I said that if we are being honest, there are positions on both sides that can both be correct.

There is so much more to touch on with bias from self-interest, including its relation to hierarchy, how it distorts information, how it feeds our desire for self-preservation and scarcity, how it impacts group preservation, its relationship to terrority etc. But I digress and don't want to get off into the weeds on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
Not to mention descending into links to xenophobic scare websites
I know that none of the links I sourced are from xenophobic websites. To accuse someone of being racist without justification, well... whom using personal attacks here? I posted two links in a thread, those links are from a liberal source, The Atlantic.

Although, you did prove my statement about how we can't be honest because it's "offensive".

Sam Harris a liberal atheist author has discussed this at length. I won't highlight it here as it would also be going off into the woods.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
http://youtu.be/FD50OTR3arY

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #115
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Carrying a gun is, as no one out here would put it, "de rigeur" out here in the west. As one law enforcement officer told me once...."we only get suspicious when they say they don't have a gun in the vehicle". So I carry my .44 cal with me whenever I hit the road, but drive with a little extra care on my twice a year trips from Idaho to Florida in the states of Illinois, Virginia, and...very surprisingly.... South Carolina due to their anti-gun laws. I do, however, have a concealed weapons license. But having a gun helps me sleep a lot better in either roadside parks, interstate rest areas, or in the woods. Safe travels. jon
Old 11-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #116
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
I am new to this RV life travel thing. What is the definitive word on traveling with a gun for security. I have to think moving between states with a gun may present a problem? Or is it only if you are caught???
I'm serious.
I'm curious if there is an actual Thread that concentrates on this question, one that is important to me, or if I will need to wade through pages of BS opinions citing studies and statistics all of which is only somewhat applicable to my boondocking in strange places with loved ones.

You don't want to arm yourself? Then fine. You have that right.

In 2017 I will travel again from coast to coast with my family and my wife and I will be armed.

Why can't this be a Thread that helps like minded folks without all the BS?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #117
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I support the right to arm bears.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #118
Rivet Master

This the same feeling that someone voiced about tow vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The thread doesn't need to be closed or locked. If we all agree and think about, the OP's question has been successfully answered.

The only thing that would lead to a thread meltdown, would be someone who feels obligated to let everyone who is in agreement here, know they disagree strongly. We don't need it.

Kind of like this:

A Vegan, A Crossfitter and an Atheist walk into a bar.

I only know this because they told everyone within 2 seconds of entering.
Basically "I've said my piece, now don't disagree with me". That's not how this works. I'm pretty sure freedom of speech came before the right to bare arms. AND ..quite often there is a gun toting guy with the vegan, cross fitter, and atheist. AND..I have to laugh when someone who carries thinks that it makes them patriotic.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:51 PM   #119
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I'm curious if there is an actual Thread that concentrates on this question, one that is important to me, or if I will need to wade through pages of BS opinions citing studies and statistics all of which is only somewhat applicable to my boondocking in strange places with loved ones.

In 2017 I will travel again from coast to coast with my family and my wife and I will be armed.

Post #4 had a good resource. The other two resources opencarry.org & usacarry.com are both resources where you can check laws in each state.

Quote:
The fact is, these threads should only be answered by other firearms owners.

But some always feel the need to let others know they disagree with others. Here is a good example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Basically "I've said my piece, now don't disagree with me". That's not how this works. I'm pretty sure freedom of speech came before the right to bare arms. AND ..quite often there is a gun toting guy with the vegan, cross fitter, and atheist. AND..I have to laugh when someone who carries thinks that it makes them patriotic.
Tthe meltdown emphasis was on being argumentative. You basically just proved my point, as you're last sentence resorts to insults.

PS: This is a privately owned website, none of us have freedom of speech here. A moderator can delete posts or lock the thread if they feel we are violating the rules.

I have attempted to not do that.

PSS: Spellcheck is your friend (see what I did there?)
Old 11-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #120
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:

I agree 100% and apologize for any diversions I've caused.

That said, I don't think you'll find a thread that will do what you want. For one thing, even if well intended most people just don't know the laws as they are confusing at best and deceptive at worst. Moreover, there are different standards for carrying vs. possessing (say in a home or RV) which often get conflated. And then you have the issue of those with carry permits and those without. It's almost too much to bear. Pun intended.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
I'm curious if there is an actual Thread that concentrates on this question, one that is important to me, or if I will need to wade through pages of BS opinions....

On the first part - any forum is full of opinions to wade through 😄

There are several gun threads - most get shut down for devolution.

On the second part - I have a theory but no proof to back it up (so this too is a BS opinion) - I gather from the forum rules that the notion that we should consider participation here a privilege and not a (US Constitutional) right has something to do with potential liability. If you allow topics that suggest carrying guns across state lines is your God-given right and someone takes that advice and gets arrested in a state that disagrees, it's possible that person could cite the advice given in these moderated forums and since the discussion wasn't bound correctly, there's some blame to go around.

Whether that speculation is accurate or not, the owners of the forum are very clear that this is not a soapbox on an American street corner where one has "free speech" - this is like a private home we're invited in to and we all agree to play by the homeowner's rules or leave.

I'm ok with that.

And in these threads - there are usually several good links with meaningful information along with the BS...I'm ok with that too.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
<<<<" I'm pretty sure freedom of speech came before the right to bear arms. ">>>>

I am not so sure about that.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post

The fact is, these threads should only be answered by other firearms owners.
Thanks, I totally agree. In fact I think it would be helpfully if there was a Thread ONLY answered by other firearm owners.

I have seen most of those resources, but having talked to a few who carry especially RVer's, there seems to be a lot of "reading between the lines" if you will that would be helpful to us newbie firearm owners or potential owners.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #124
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
<<<<" I'm pretty sure freedom of speech came before the right to bear arms. ">>>>

I am not so sure about that.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Frankly if people didn't take the question outside of its original context everything would be cool.

Nowhere did the OP ask if guns should be legal.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
FWIW, I was just talking to my son about this issue. He plays soccer with a guy they call "chainsaw".

They call him chainsaw because he was cutting wood in the forest one day when he was attacked by a bear.

He ended up killing the bear with what he had.. A chainsaw.

So, if you like to go out in the woods, it might be advisable to have a gun or a chainsaw.

Brevi tempore!

Closed Thread