Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #99
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
I think I'll bow out of this because some can't keep from getting personal.
Really? Where was the personal attack?

Old 11-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #100
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
It is the rare fortune of these days that one may think what one likes and say what one thinks.

- Tacitus

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 02:55 PM   #101
1 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
New Port Richey , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
FL CCW for the win - full timing with two beautiful little girls, click here are my thoughts (external link). Don't come looking for trouble.
Love it!
Old 11-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
This thread is definitely drifting...won't be long now. But a lot of good information was shared from various sides.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-12-2015, 03:00 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Situational Awareness

I am unsure - but it seems to me that situational awareness is more important than the weapons you bring to the scene. The only serious incident I was ever directly involved in happened when I was at ease - walking from my own car up to my front steps. In a nice neighborhood.

PAY ATTENTION.

Talk to anyone who teaches self defense - Karate or whatever - Some students become overconfident and do put themselves at more risk by wanting to test their skills. Looking for that kind of a test is a "you bet your life" situation.

Sometimes survival is more luck than preparation.

In college picture 4 drunk freshmen walking back to the dorms after a night at the local hangout. One starts walking very fast, almost trotting yelling in a singularly unladylike fashion "oh hurry up I gotta pee!" when from an alley a couple of arms reach out and grab her. Three of us almost half a block behind rush to help our friend... who comes sauntering out of the alley zipping up her jeans ... and we think the worst. Then the truth comes out, Kathy who had four brothers, beat the dog crap out of the guy, then proceeded to use his prone body to take care of her next most pressing problem.

The police arrived and weren't totally pleased to have to transport such a moist criminal, but as it turned out he had prior convictions for rape where he got shockingly short sentences by today's standards, and had active warrants for more. We heard he died in jail six months later while on trial for one of the outstanding cases - not sure whether other inmates finished him off or.. maybe someone in a uniform carrying a nightstick.

Kathy was a big girl, 5'10 and "healthy" but I never had a clue that she had a temper or knew HOW to fight. She taught me somthing vital - most girls hit or slap once or twice then wait to see how that works - boys fight until they can't stand up. If you're going to fight back and you break his nose on the first punch, try to punch his larynx out next, then break his jaw or kick his dick off, or break his kneecap or snap a couple of fingers - and don't stop until you're 90% sure he's dead. Then jump on him two or three times before you run away.

I'm too old to think I could do most of that any more... but realistically - Pay attention to your surroundings, and then a framing hammer is probably as useful as a gun.

Paula
Old 11-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #104
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Really? Where was the personal attack?
When you accuse someone of being dishonest for example. Smears aimed at "those on the left" or "liberal states". Not to mention descending into links to xenophobic scare websites.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:11 PM   #105
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
When you accuse someone of being dishonest for example. Smears aimed at "those on the left" or "liberal states". Not to mention descending into links to xenophobic scare websites.
Well, you are free to go. I just wish the country was so free.

Enjoy Airstreaming. I wish you well. Truly.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #106
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I can think of little more disheartening than to be situationally aware of an impending attack that one is powerless to stop.

Situational awareness is important no doubt, but the ability to defend ones self an our loved ones is important also.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #107
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
"Guns" on the road

I am always amazed at how men thank and feel they can overcome the crooks of the world if they have a hand on their "Gun". Here is a little thought on a "Gun". When I was in the military (1960) and we had weapons training, the D.I. held up a 1911- 45 auto and told the group "This is a weapon" and grabbing his crouch said "This is a gun", one shoots bullets" and , well I think you get the idea. The crook will always have the chose of surprise on you if you are sleeping and if you are in a rest area and have to fire your weapon and the cops have a report of gun fire they will respond and could fire on you. They are not trained to ask if you are a "good guy or a bad guy" they will just Kill you. OOPs!!! a good guy with a "Gun" Now that's funny.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Guns on the road

The truth is that the most violent areas of our nation are deep "blue".

Truth is truth, not slander.

"Red" regions of America are statistically very safe.

This might be a factor in situational awareness.

Also, it is noteworthy that "red" people as a rule like their right to bear arms, and they might take offense to having this right under threat because too many "blue" folks misuse the right to bear.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
I would rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.
That is my philosophy as well. NRA member
Old 11-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
Don't leave home without it! No not your Capitol One Card. I'm a healthy senior citizen living in Florida, I have a CCP & would never go on the road without my self defense tools. I know my limitations & fighting some thug is not on my dance card, my Glocks ( yes I have more than one ) give me & my wife great security when traveling. I use the gun Travelers Guide mentioned earlier to be aware of various state laws because " I dident know " is not a defense when dealing with authorities. I'm to young to die & to old to get the sh.t beat out of me, I would rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.

Joe,
Well said, and well prepared! I feel the same, my Glocks, (Models 23, 27, 42), are my best friends. I'm a healthy senior, and intend to stay that way.

Also, I practice with all of mine frequently.....

For whatever it's worth.

Larry

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 11-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Is pepper spray or tasers ok to carry? A big dog works...trust me on this one.
I believe tasers are illegal. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
Old 11-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #112
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Believe it or not, California is a Castle Doctrine state. This even specifically extends to campgrounds. It applies to your Airstream. I hesitate to state this because once the politicians get wind of this, there will be pressure to change it. A misguided handgun group in Redondo Beach did this for open unloaded carry. For some reason, they thought it would be a good idea to exercise this right and carried their holstered, unloaded guns in public. The law was changed and now it is harder for the rest of us to transport our unloaded firearms openly.
For those considering a handgun purchase, I urge you to take a quality course on handgun safety, laws and use.