Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
it is the rare fortune of these days that a man may think what he likes and say what he thinks.

--Tacitus

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 05:16 PM   #142
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Ted the good information is all here. Just reread it when you get a chance. And New Jersey is a beautiful state with lots going for it just be aware of the laws.

And here I was working on ordering Shocks today without near as much input.

The consensus is there is no consensus and the only constant in life is change.;o)

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #143
Link’s Travels

2002 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
1999 35' XL 350 w/slide
LINCOLN , Nebraska
I have a concealed carry permit and hope to God I never have to use my weapon, but I will be armed to defend my home and family from intruders who threatens us with harm. Just remember, if you have to fire, expect half of your assets to be used to defend yourself, even if you miss.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #144
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
There are several things not to be caught in your possession:

-An Indian Artifact found on Federal property.
-A toy pistol without a Toy Pistol CCP.
-A fossil found on State of Federal property.
-A loaded firearm on a Military Base. (Other than the MP.)
-Common Sense when it comes to Firearms.

Guns are for Fun. Firearms (rifles) are for killing. (Basic Training US Army)

It is amazing how much attention and both extremes of a opinions.

The weapon is an innate object. It is the mindset of those who use it for ill will. Once that is understood, those who use any weapon to enrich themselves or for lethal objectives other than protecting themselves and family... should have a prison where the inmates are armed and the ammunition given freely.

Anyone who has served our country in the military understands what a firearm is capable of. It takes no novice on a trailer forum, who has one or a hundred at home or on the road, to explain safety and what possible uses.

Next time you find yourself being put in a situation where a firearm could have prevented your or a family member's death, because it took ten minutes for the local police to arrive from a cell phone call. The police can then... investigate a murder, rather than a victim protecting themselves from the threat of death or harm.

Just take a deep breath and understand that not everyone is so confident that just your presence on the street at night is a deterrent from harm. When honest people are deprived of protecting themselves... you will have Detroit and Philadelphia and West Saint Louis... and... and.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #145
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Bluntness is often perceived as incivility by people who live in environments that protect them from ideas.
I don't get the connection between perceived incivility and being protected from ideas. But I did perceive incivility when you were dismissive, on numerous posts, of people who voice a different opinion than yours.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #146
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have no real horse in this race, but I often wonder of we Canadians are at more risk when traveling in the US due to our license plates, combined with bad guys' knowledge of Canadian gun restrictions!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 PM   #147
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Apropos of nothing, it is legal to buy and possess pepper spray for the purpose of defending yourself against dogs and bears in both the USA and Canada, although it isn't legal to possess pepper spray for the purpose of defending yourself against a human in Canada (I'm not an expert in this, so please correct me my Canadian friends if I'm wrong). When entering Canada, we were asked if we had any weapons, and I declared my archery equipment, which they weren't interested in, and said I had nothing more to declare. Then they asked me if I had any pepper spray, and I remembered that both my wife and I had small containers that we carried in case our dog was ever attacked by a larger dog. They confiscated those, and didn't make a big deal about it. We didn't buy any replacements while we were in Canada, because we were afraid that if we did, they would be confiscated by the US agents when we came back. It was interesting to me that it was legal to possess on both sides of the border, but not legal to carry across the border.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:14 PM   #148
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
There is something strange abut pepper spray here in Canada - to my knowledge you are not allowed to bring it in (we often buy the small containers in the US to at least have something with us when we stop overnight at a Flying J, although I often wonder if I would get myself into more trouble by using it than if I didn't have it!)

But recently in a "Canadian Tire" store - an excellent chain store here in almost every town and city that sells all manner of stuff from automotive to DIY to sporting goods etc. etc. I found large containers of "Bear Spray" on sale!

I believe that is a even more potent version of pepper spray - and the cans were very large! I spoke with the salesperson who assured me it was legal in Canada. I don't understand the situation but think I'll buy me a can and keep the Canadian receipt for the border folks!!\

Last time we returned home from one of our frequent US visits we were asked at the border by Canadian border personnel specifically if we had any pepper spray! They didn't even as about firearms!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Certainly another aside on my part - but if you let a can of bear spray or pepper spray rip in your trailer, wouldn't all the "good guys" (including pets) suffer too?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:32 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Certainly another aside on my part - but if you let a can of bear spray or pepper spray rip in your trailer, wouldn't all the "good guys" (including pets) suffer too?

Yes, but not as much as whomever (or whatever) got a dose directly in the eyes.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Yes, but not as much as whomever (or whatever) got a dose directly in the eyes.

Got it. Thanks. I guess too if that sends the perp running, you can clear out as well....
Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #152
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I started a similar thread a few years ago and it last about 10 minutes and a monitor shot it down.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 11-12-2015, 06:46 PM   #153
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
What I find sad is the people who don't like guns and even brag that they've never owned or even shot one think they have some uncanny insight into the things and should be the arbiters on whether other others should have them.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #154
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
You and I have had some disagreements on this forum before Bold, in fact one or the other or both of us may have said something that sounded insulting to the other, who knows? But more importantly, who cares? lol

When did grown men become so sensitive?

Brevi tempore!
That was me wanting to add to your statement. And you're right. I know I'm a younger guy around these parts, but whatever happened to the days when guys could have a disagreement, even throw a few punches and then have a beer together?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #155
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
What I find sad is the people who don't like guns and even brag that they've never owned or even shot one think they have some uncanny insight into the things and should be the arbiters on whether other others should have them.

What I will say is that who are in favor of gun rights are not arguing to take away a current right, the same can not be said of the other position.

I think Americans have surrendered more than enough of their sovereignty as things stand now.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #156
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I have no real horse in this race, but I often wonder of we Canadians are at more risk when traveling in the US due to our license plates, combined with bad guys' knowledge of Canadian gun restrictions!

Brian.

Early on in Florida's CCW days, the rate of attacks on obvious out of state people skyrocketed... Any Floridian could have a gun, but at the time, no out of stater could carry, so they were obvious targets. As reciprocity has increased, the overall crime rate in the state has continued to drop.

According to the latest figures available to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, there are 111 (out of 218) countries that have a higher per capita murder rate than the United States... We come in at 4.7 per 100,000. The U.K. and Australia, which both entirely outlaw firearms, and are island nations, come in at 1.0 and 1.1 respectively, a difference of 3.7 per 100,000 people. Meaning, out of every 100,000 people, .0037 percent fewer people are killed in two nations that have completely taken away their citizens rights to own firearms. Island nations, with a lower population density than the US... Let's look at India, which also bans the ownership of firearms, unless you are well connected, or a government official (hmmmm, I wonder how that happens?). India, with an admittedly much higher population density, is at 3.7 per 100,000. One per 100,000 less than we are. Closer to home, Cuba, which doesn't allow for the private ownership of firearms, has a murder rate of 4.2 per 100,000. That puts them at .0005 percent fewer murders per 100,000 people than the US. Firearms illegal, and an island nation, and barely lower than we are... Now, on the other end of the spectrum, Switzerland, who ranks fourth overall in the world in gun ownership per capita, has a murder rate of .6 per 100,000 people.

We don't have a gun problem in this country. As more and more states have passed "Shall issue" concealed carry permits, the murder rate in America has been in steady decline. Not saying CCW causes the decrease, only that they happen simultaneously. FL issued their first CCW in 1987. Six years later, in 1993, the murder rate in America hit its peak, and started a pretty steady rate of decline, as 11 other states joined FL. By 2014, 41 states joined in with "shall issue" concealed carry laws, and the murder rate hit it's lowest number since 1968, while our population increased by 120 million people.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #157
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I'm saying that there are ways to share ideas that communicate the sharer has enough EQ to care about how the listener feels about the idea. And there are ways to share ideas that communicate the sharer possesses low EQ (thus the perception of incivility) and cares more about being right than building relationships. I'm hoping this reply demonstrates both. Everyone's mileage will vary in terms of preference.
Emotional intelligence is certainly a skill and one that is difficult to master in writing. Especially on something like a forum.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:02 PM   #158
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
I am obviously much too old and brought up in a rural area of Montana to understand some previous observations and erroneous beliefs possessing a firearm. Pistol, rifle, shotgun... all can be lethal. To man, foul or deer.

I dreamed some Christmas morning that Santa would bring me a two six shooter Roy Rogers pistol and ammunition belt. Too expensive for Santa, but I still dreamed. I had the single shooter where you put a cap onto a cartridge and it would go... bang. Never robbed a bank nor did any other youngster in our Saturday Western frenzy in the woods.

It was common to find one or two rifles in a rifle holder in the rear window of a pickup truck. Many Ranchers would use one or the other for animals feeding off their new born livestock. Not to harm or intimidate anyone out of malice.

I was at a HOA meeting in Colorado where a home owner who could have installed what he wanted, but asked at a general HOA meeting. He wanted to build a Firing Range in the basement of his home. Some board members acted as if it was a crime against humanity. Board members who moved out to the rural area to... think like they were still in Los Angeles or Chicago. The president of the HOA commented "times have changed" and that he would vote against such an outrageous idea."

Not to be unheard I spoke up. "It is not that times have changed. People have changed."

It was approved.

My neighbor did not need to ask for HOA permission. Times have changed because the people have changed. There is an outdoor County police firing range north of our rural Ranch Community. There are the sounds of rifles closer to the Front Range on a ranch, sighting their rifles for the Fall hunt. We think nothing of it. Even in... Front Range Colorado, which is changing to a West Coast philosophy of Liberalism.

Living near the USA and Canadian border in Montana has changed, as well. You could spend Canadian currency in Kalispell in the 1950's. Some cash drawers handled both currencies. Today, probably a Federal Currency offense with punishment exceeding that of an Open Carry of a firearm.

Rancher's in western Nebraska open carry their Colt 1876 45 caliber revolvers whenever they feel the need. Rifles still mounted in the rear window, without a neighbor stealing them.

People have Changed. Remember that. Politically correctness has clouded Common Sense. I have seen Open Carry at a Five Guys burger joint in Castle Rock, CO. I did not freak out or hide the family from harm. Although not the most intelligent thing I have seen in some time, but a concealed weapon would have been more appropriate.

If anyone while camped in the Rocky Mountains wants to use Bear Spray against a 800 pound bear... it is fine with me. You might get one chance at 20 feet or less. Myself... my presence is all it takes to frighten any large carnivore from the area. I pee high up on the side of a tree and kick up dirt and dust with the best of them. I avoid leaving SCAT, but if it would help some of you... I will help you out.

There is no right or righter opinion. Carry a firearm, but have a purpose other than being an overgrown kid that now can afford a pistol belt with two revolvers.

When the US Military cannot trust their own trained soldiers on Base with a loaded weapon... there is something wrong with us. People have changed and it is not going to improve for a long, long time.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #159
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
I don't get the connection between perceived incivility and being protected from ideas. But I did perceive incivility when you were dismissive, on numerous posts, of people who voice a different opinion than yours.
Whateverz, go fly away little bird.

See what I did there? Ok, so maybe I'm not as funny as I think I am in my head. I'm only joking.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #160
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Reading along ...
As a retired soldier with extra weapons training I get a little concerned about the training level of people who own and (especially) carry weapons. But I have no idea what formal training, if any, is necessary to get a carry permit of any level in the civilian world, so I'll leave it there.
If you really want to stir the hornets nest, go to a truck driver forum for this subject.
I get a kick out of this guy.
Closed Thread