Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
OK, one post...cannot be a troll, unless they return with negative posts...my response is "Welcome to Air Forums"

As a moderator on another forum, I like this definition of "troll"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Old 11-12-2015, 12:10 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Rely to Bold Adventure. Yes I agree both can be correct.

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #59
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
When I sit down and think about it I realize I am more afraid of gun laws on the road than of the bad guys.
This is the unfortunately reality of the current situation in the US.

I'm hoping that will change soon. Take this quote from the Obergefell v. Hodges Supreme Court decision and substitute concealed carry for same-sex marriage. The result might be surprising.

---

These cases also present the question whether the Constitution requires States to recognize same-sex marriages validly performed out of State. As made clear by the case of Obergefell and Arthur, and by that of DeKoe and Kostura, the recognition bans inflict substantial and continuing harm on same-sex couples.

Being married in one State but having that valid marriage denied in another is one of “the most perplexing and distressing complication[s]” in the law of domestic relations. Williams v. North Carolina, 317 U. S. 287, 299 (1942) (internal quotation marks omitted). Leaving the current state of affairs in place would maintain and promote instability and uncertainty. For some couples, even an ordinary drive into a neighboring State to visit family or friends risks causing severe hardship in the event of a spouse’s hospitalization while across state lines. In light of the fact that many States already allow same-sex marriage—and hundreds of thousands of these marriages already have occurred—the disruption caused by the recognition bans is significant and ever-growing.

As counsel for the respondents acknowledged at argument, if States are required by the Constitution to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, the justifications for refusing to recognize those marriages performed elsewhere are undermined. See Tr. of Oral Arg. on Question 2, p. 44. The Court, in this decision, holds same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry in all States. It follows that the Court also must hold—and it now does hold—that there is no lawful basis for a State to refuse to recognize a lawful same-sex marriage performed in another State on the ground of its same-sex character.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
I am new to this RV life travel thing. What is the definitive word on traveling with a gun for security. I have to think moving between states with a gun may present a problem? Or is it only if you are caught???
I'm serious.
It depends upon several things. What type of gun, e.g., long gun or hand gun? Are you leaving the US and going into Canada or Mexico? And, where do you plan to carry the gun(s)? If you are leaving the US it is strongly advised that you check with the Canadian or Mexican authorities first. Canada for almost all travelers does not allow hand guns. Long guns, e.g., shotguns and rifles are allowed but you have to declare them and pay a fee.

If you are limiting your travel to the US any gun that you legally own can be in your trailer or motor home if it is put away, e.g., in a closet. If you are relying on a concealed carry permit you will need to confirm which states have reciprocity with the state that issued your permit. Some do not.

My best advise is check everything out before you begin your trip. Things sometimes change. Whatever you were permitted to do this year may not be the same next year. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bettendorf , Iowa
Never ever...

Sixty four years old, been to 22 countries including Israel, India, Jordan, Syria, Mexico, Greece and to forty six states and to most Canadian provinces and never wanted or needed a gun for protection. I have included my daughters on most trips and they know how to be careful and smart! They can shoot, but will never carry for protection.

Have thousands of miles in my Airstream. I also have thousands of miles hiking in Appalachia, the Rockies and Himalayas. I have driven over a million miles for work and play! Go to Chicago, St Louis, New Orleans and Washington DC because I love those cities! Never ever carried my gun there!

Have been hunting and still will never take my gun on a trip that is not for hunting. I have a baseball bat and pepper spray in my tow vehicle. Once and if I ever need to use these I will not stop.

Never ever will use my gun on someone unless the Zombie apocalypse happens!

And on another side note, most tow vehicles are way larger than needed.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
While I have had an AZ CCW permit for over six years, the hodge podge of rules and regulations create a literal mine field for the unwary traveler. I would be confident of few issues in the states with reciprocity, but once crossing the Mississippi River it gets very confusing.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 11-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
A gun is just another useless piece of equipment that will needlessly complicate your life. Declare your freedom from the hysterical NRA's sales messages.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:29 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Herkimer,NY , soon to be Keswick,VA
So a few years ago, maybe 8?, when we were in New Mexico 3 escaped convicts jumped a husband and wife camping. They were murdered, their camper set on fire and their vehicle stolen. Since then, we go "prepared", to the best of our ability. Sometimes prepared means pepper spray, or bear spray next to the fire extinguisher.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #65

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Magnolia , Texas
I will travel from TX to PA and so far as I can tell only one state along the way will not reciprocate with my Texas CHL. For this state I will lock the gun up without ammunition and carry the ammunition separately. Although if stopped and searched this will not necessarily be a solution in that one state. However, it is likely that state's laws are illegal an unconstitutional as so long as I do not stop for long in that state and am only passing through. However, I certainly do not want to be the one to contest that state's unconstitutional law.

Anyway, I would not even consider to carry a gun in my RV without a CHL and proper training.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
OK, one post...cannot be a troll, unless they return with negative posts...my response is "Welcome to Air Forums"
X2 Msmoto. Through kindness maybe they'll become a proud supporting member like us Bold. They are curious just like me. I'm just asking because I'm solo. Maybe a dog would deter people better than a gun. I once had a 140lb wolf hybrid... nothing was stolen or bothered in Los Angeles.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #67

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Lewisburg , Pennsylvania
This is my first post. My wife and son Patrick bought a 2015 AS this past summer and we love especially my 7 yr old son Patrick. Everyday I read the forum and find every post useful and fun with the exception of this one. The forum has been priceless in helping us to navigate AS ownership. I would ask that all keep the discussion centered around AS. There are plenty of forums that deal with guns, politics religion and all sorts of wedge issues. We are here because we share a common interest let's stick to it
Old 11-12-2015, 12:32 PM   #68
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidIowa View Post
Sixty four years old, been to 22 countries including Israel, India, Jordan, Syria, Mexico, Greece and to forty six states and to most Canadian provinces and never wanted or needed a gun for protection. I have included my daughters on most trips and they know how to be careful and smart! They can shoot, but will never carry for protection.

Have thousands of miles in my Airstream. I also have thousands of miles hiking in Appalachia, the Rockies and Himalayas. I have driven over a million miles for work and play! Go to Chicago, St Louis, New Orleans and Washington DC because I love those cities! Never ever carried my gun there!

Have been hunting and still will never take my gun on a trip that is not for hunting. I have a baseball bat and pepper spray in my tow vehicle. Once and if I ever need to use these I will not stop.

Never ever will use my gun on someone unless the Zombie apocalypse happens!

And on another side note, most tow vehicles are way larger than needed.
The world is actually a safer place than it used to be. That's a reality despite the picture painted by the media. Your chances of dying at the hands of another person are at the lowest they have ever been in history.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
I am new to this RV life travel thing. What is the definitive word on traveling with a gun for security. I have to think moving between states with a gun may present a problem? Or is it only if you are caught???
I'm serious.
I did not see this thread until there were 5 pages. If it stays in play it will continue to build "ad infinitum"as everyone with a "you know what" also has an opinion, esp on this subject. BOTTOM LINE: if you feel safer with a weapon, do your homework, get legal with it where you live, understand the laws in places you plan to visit before you get there, keep it stored safely and maintain it properly.

The easiest weapon to stay legal with is a shot gun. I don't know about all, but many states require no permit to carry one in your vehicle. Some states have laws that govern how you store and carry it but few require a permit. I don't know about Canada. Just planning to "not get caught" is like playing Russian Roulette.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Prospect , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
You are right that firearms laws differ from state to state and sometimes city to city. A very good reference is "The Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, available here:

Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States | Gun Laws for the 50 States

A useful online reference is Handgunlaw.us
There are two sets of gun laws that come to bear here. One is concealed carry permits (CCP) and the issue of reciprocity (honoring of other state's CCPs) among states.

The other laws that come to bear are castle doctrine laws, which also vary state to state. Basically, castle doctrine says you do not need a permit to defend your home (and when traveling, your Airstream is your home). If a state has a castle doctrine law, then my understanding is you can carry your gun in your trailer without a CCP. But, if you want to carry a gun in your tow vehicle in the glove box or on your person, you will need a CCP and reciprocity for the state you are in.

And, the Canadian is right; don't even bother with them. Their laws are wrong headed, but they do enforce them and will confiscate any gun they find. There is a way to get pre-approval for your guns, but it is not very gun friendly.

2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Cab (Silver)
VA Plate: TRL DUST
Closed Thread