Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
The thought of a bad guy inflicting mayhem on your unarmed self is terrifying.

But think of it like this: We all know people who are terrified of flying. The mental picture of falling out of the sky, screaming all the way down, is horrible. But the reality is, you are orders of magnitude safer in that airplane than you are driving your car to the corner store.

Carrying an easily accessible loaded gun (if not, why bother?) is statistically many times more likely to cause you harm than not.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Guns on the road

To me it is funny how all opinions concerning rights are equal right up to the point that a right is taken away by law.

It is also interesting to me how so many arguments miss the point of an end solution.

Why are gun related homicides so high in places like Russia and Mexico when guns have been illegal for many decades?

I had two cousins end their life last year. One used a long gun another used a rope. Is the one who used a gun more dead than the other?

If the one who used a gun had not had a gun would she not have been likely to complete the job by another means?

Including suicide in this instance to make a statistical point concerning the "safety" of guns is fallacious.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
NWG there are as many publications citing positive outcome of gun ownership and encounters where they were used.

Let's keep up the good information sharing.

In answer to the original poster. Carry if you wish but always legally, safely and responsibly. The requirement is on YOU to be properly informed and trained.

You need to know:
when to use it,
how to use it,
when to deescalate,
whether to drink,
when to holster,
how & what to say to call 911
have a family plan
And the list goes on.

4 Rules of firearm safety:
1.All guns are always loaded
2.Never point gun at anything you are not will to destroy
3. Keep finger straight along the trigger until your sights are on target and you are willing to shoot
4. Be sure of your target and what is behind and beyond it

Safety Information if a child come across a gun:
STOP
DONT TOUCH
LEAVE THE AREA
TELL AN ADULT

Guns themselves are not bad we all know that whether we are comfortable around them or not but they require responsible behaviour at ALL times.

Getting off the box now

Hittenstiehl
Old 11-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I admire everyone being civil about this gun issue. Has anyone else had a experience, where they wished they had a gun while camping? I hope that Bolds incident... is the only one. I saw a person taking pictures of grizzly cubs, 20yds away in Yellow stone . He needed common sense... not a gun.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Empirically it has been demonstrated that violent crime drops when concealed carry laws are enacted.

I am sure that a lot of crimes are averted where the victim never even knows they would have been a target because of the mere possibility that a target may be armed.

Most gun murders in America are not committed by legal gun owners using legal guns. Just a fact.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #48
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
If you venture to Mexico, make sure your guns are of high quality, for if they are, the guns will simply be seized, but for el cheapos they'll put you in jail for 10 years or until you bribe your way out!
Old 11-12-2015, 11:31 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Never have needed a gun, but-
Never leave home without several-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 11-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I have no desire to go to Mexico or NJ...

#JustSayin....

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:35 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Gun laws vary widely from state to state, as does Castle Doctrine and Stand Your Ground.

Just to be safe, it would be wise to have a concealed carry permit from your state. In addition to that, you also want a CCP that's recognized in multiple jurisdictions. From what I've heard, the Utah's CCP is accepted in something like 38 states.

Having personal liability insurance is also a good idea.

Beware - Never carry a pistol in NJ of CA, concealed or otherwise.

Do your research in advance. For further reading:

The Traveler's Gun & Knife Law Book, Third Edition
by: David Wong, Esq.

Tom
Old 11-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #52
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
My dad had 2 issues while fishing on the Sacramento river. One, he was fishing on a point, alone, and was menaced by a guy walking down to him without a fishing pole, his gun in the truck, and was saved by another fisherman arriving, menacing guy turned and left.
Two, sleeping in a camper shell late night along the river, headlights woke him up. He was "ordered out" by the "authorities", being blinded by the lights, he couldn't see a uniform, or badge. He called out that he had a gun and was ready to use it if they came in after him, and requested that they make themselves visible as a LEO. Headlights left after that.
Personally, I had one issue, working grave shift. I was sleeping about 9pm, someone banging on my door, drug myself out of bed, I got a peek just as the guy left the front door. I went back to bed, warm night and my sliding glass door was open to the living room, screen closed. Before I fell back to sleep I heard something on the back balcony, 2nd floor apt, I got my gun out and looked out into the hallway. A shadow of the guy and open screen door was on the wall of the hallway. Standing at the doorway looking in. Heart rate was up, blood pounding in my ears, straining to hear anything, time started to drag at this standoff. Him outside, can't shoot, nothing in the chamber anyway. So I racked a round with the gun between the mattresses to cut the sound, but he heard it and jumped down and ran away. As it was my sleep time I didn't report it, didn't want to mess with the cops and paperwork, so I went back to bed.
Next days paper reported another home burglery a few blocks away.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Niagara-on-the-Lake , Ontario
We are just curious. Has anyone ever heard of an Airstream owner, while travelling with their Airstream, being treatened and felt they needed some form of protection? If yes, was the threat from a person or an animal and which State or Province?
Old 11-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #54
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
The people's republic of NJ is the worst. Don't go there. I know a guy personally, was moving and driving through NJ. Had his handgun in his trunk, in a case. Got stopped, cops searched his car because he was honest about weapons. Guess what, charged with a felony for legally owning a gun. Because in NJ even though his gun was unloaded and the magazine wasn't in the gun, there were bullets in the magazine next to the gun. And that in NJ is a loaded gun. And a felony. Talk about having your life turned upside down.
Not sure if NJ is the worst because NY and MD are pretty bad too, but it's definitely up there. Even legal handgun owners are so restricted in their travels it's a nightmare just bringing a handgun to a range. You better not have to pee, eat, get gas, or pick up a friend on the way...

And BTW, there are a ton of "weapons" that are regulated as firearms in NJ. Mere possession of a BB gun or even a slingshot will get you arrested just as fast as a possession of a fully automatic assault rifle. Pure craziness.

Sorry for the hijack, but be very careful here.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:46 AM   #55
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
Carrying an easily accessible loaded gun (if not, why bother?) is statistically many times more likely to cause you harm than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
NWG there are as many publications citing positive outcome of gun ownership and encounters where they were used.
If we are going to continue being civil, let's be intellectually honest and admit that numbers lie, and context and framing can paint different pictures.

Both views can actually be true and correct, here.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #56
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Did you create this screen name just to troll us with your question?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Guns_on_the_road_-_Page_3_-_Airstream_Forums.png
Views:	94
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	251973  

Closed Thread