Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #381
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I've seen gun stores everywhere I've been. And with online stores that sell ammo, and UPS Stores that will accept, I don't see the problem buying ammo.

Thanks Bold,
Just never inquired before while traveling. Good to know. Retiring soon and will be spending more time on the road so might need to spend quality time at a range nearby.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #382
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I figure reasonable people can disagree about one thing or the other, and maybe even get a little mad, and then let it go.

Grudges suck, and all too often prevent people from appreciating common ground that they do share.

Usually points we argue about are fundamentally "big picture" closer than debate about details and semantics indicate on the surface. Sometimes civility can be salvaged when we simply agree to disagree.

Too often we don't talk long enough to get to this point.

Brevi tempore!
Yup, I concur.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:50 PM   #383
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Does carrying a gun embolden you enough to tow into the neighbourhoods that you are alluding to? That seems to suggest that having a gun gives you the courage to throw caution to the wind and ignore situational awareness.
We pulled off 101 to have lunch in a day-use beach area. There were about six vehicles and a family just leaving the parking area headed to the beach. We settled in at the rear dinette to have our lunch when a lowered gang-banger type car with an older rough looking driver pulled behind our AS and just sat there looking around. We were not comfortable and the distance to the tow vehicle seemed immense. I reach into the overhead compartment, got my soft case withe a 357, opened it and set it on the seat next to me. The man in the car continued to sit there until some people walked up from the beach and then after a car drove in he started his car and left. I put my gun back in the overhead, extremely relieved but not defenseless. Sometimes you don't know you are in a bad situation until you are.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #384
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
Thanks Bold,
Just never inquired before while traveling. Good to know. Retiring soon and will be spending more time on the road so might need to spend quality time at a range nearby.
Bought some 38 special ammo at a Walmart in Ohio, my hometown Walmart is usually sold out. I'm in Florida.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #385
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
There is a place called Academy Sports and Outdoors.. They usually have decent, competitive pricing.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #386
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampman View Post
How hard is it to buy ammo in other states when traveling?
In NJ you should be able to buy shotgun shells but you won't be able to buy handgun rounds without showing a NJFID card.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #387
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Does carrying a gun embolden you enough to tow into the neighbourhoods that you are alluding to? That seems to suggest that having a gun gives you the courage to throw caution to the wind and ignore situational awareness.
If you wouldn't go into those places without a weapons system, why would you go into them with one?

To me the "I don't feel safe there" does not change with or without a weapons system.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #388
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
If you wouldn't go into those places without a weapons system, why would you go into them with one?

To me the "I don't feel safe there" does not change with or without a weapons system.

Bingo.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #389
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I don't know why this is the only thread I cant scroll up and down.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #390
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
We pulled off 101 to have lunch in a day-use beach area. There were about six vehicles and a family just leaving the parking area headed to the beach. We settled in at the rear dinette to have our lunch when a lowered gang-banger type car with an older rough looking driver pulled behind our AS and just sat there looking around. We were not comfortable and the distance to the tow vehicle seemed immense. I reach into the overhead compartment, got my soft case withe a 357, opened it and set it on the seat next to me. The man in the car continued to sit there until some people walked up from the beach and then after a car drove in he started his car and left. I put my gun back in the overhead, extremely relieved but not defenseless. Sometimes you don't know you are in a bad situation until you are.
I bicycled the PCH solo all the way down to LA. Never once felt unsafe. Spent a month living in Echo Park which, at the time, was over 60% hispanic and still had gang problems. Me and my friends never felt unsafe. The sense of community in that part of LA was amazing. Plenty of sketchy people in the State parks the closer to LA you get. Mostly homeless and probably a good number with mental health issues. Those things don't bother me enough to worry about carrying a weapon. I've travelled all over by myself and the only time I ever feel uncomfortable is when I'm in the US and people feel the need to ask me if I'm carrying protection. Somehow, I don't think they'd see any humour in me showing them a box of condoms... I always try to be aware of my surroundings and treat people as I would have them treat me. No matter what their personal situation is.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #391
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:

The manner in which the original question was framed during that particular bit of the discussion suggested otherwise.
Old 11-17-2015, 03:52 PM   #392
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Generally, folks are "nice"... And with them there isn't issue.

It only takes one "Radical"....
Old 11-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #393

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Time to close the door on this thread. Thanks all for your input.

The Staff

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Closed Thread