Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #295
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
Come on people. It's just not true. You (or someone in your family) is much more likely to die from a gunshot wound if you have a gun in your possession than not.

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...nsive-gun-use/

Using Guns In Self-Defense Is Rare, Study Finds

IBTL

Old 11-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #296
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Drop your Insurance Policies since you have no risk.

I wanted to add my last and final comment on this subject and lay it to rest. I have carried a firearm even before going to elementary school to hunt snow rabbits in Olney, Montana. A 22 cal. Remington, which I still own. I was five or six years old. I am comfortable with firearms.

My father was career Army since 1942. Artillery with General Patton at the Battle of the Bulge. I do believe it affected his life seeing the carnage, but retired from active duty and was asked to teach ROTC. His last ROTC job was at William Chrisman High School in Independence, Missouri.

The High School had an ongoing ROTC program with a firing range and armory in the basement. You could take ROTC or Gym. There might have been ten firing ranges with up to date equipment. Carbines converted to 22 caliber for cost. Mind you... in a High School, live ammunition, students firing at targets at a firing range... nobody gave it much thought as there was nothing to think about.

Former President Truman would come with his driver in some old model car and plink a few rounds. No Secret Service guards. He lived within a mile at the Independence White House with his wife, Bess and sometimes Margaret, their adult daughter living in New York City (?).

My father retired from ROTC when the program was removed from the public school system, he was presented with a nickel plated 1901 carbine at a ROTC dance.

What you read on this Thread and from some posters is the "new world" thought tank. No one is forcing anyone to bear arms or hide from being a responsible American citizen to protect family and the innocent. I would not even want to be an armed Policeman today for a career. It is just not worth it when these individuals believe this new world order can police itself by having a nice, gentle conversation to someone holding you hostage in your home.

I have a fishing pole in my trailer. I have not needed it for a number of years, now. But if I want it, the pole is available. I have insurance in the event my trailer and tow vehicle are damaged or totaled. I have not needed it, but it is necessary. There are many things that you need or not need. It is a personal decision.

Those who served in the Military from being drafted, I was drafted... or enlisted for four or five years understand. Many are Finance Clerks and many are combat troops. Not all need or want to carry a firearm or weapon or a LAW's shoulder fired rocket. But it is necessary equipment.

Camping in the wilderness does take some serious thought about being prepared. The Flagg Ranch outside of Flagstaff, Arizona had 22 caliber rifles for target practice when I was 9 years old. A week or so with a lot of other young kids getting a taste of the woods and outdoors. Myself... it was like home. Others... crying for momma. We all survived.

I have to admit that I have not had the need to fire my side arm in defense. I did fire my 22 magnum 9422 Winchester rifle towards a pack of coyotes crying out to encourage our two Blue Heelers to come and investigate the ruckus. They dispersed, the coyotes, and it was a round well used. But... much like an insurance policy on the house, vehicle, life, trailer or a savings account for an unlucky streak of need... I am much more comfortable in knowing I am not a victim when, or even IF the need arises.

That is where I stood at 6 years old and understand the potential peril I put myself when I am not in familiar places with unfamiliar people, customs and similar thoughts of what I am doing in their terrain. Not everyone has common sense nor a natural understanding of surviving outside the comforts of home. It is to their loss... not mine or others that have experienced what is real and what is not possible. Drop your insurance policies. Leave your firearm at the local Police Station. You are safe in your world. In mine, there are risks.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #297
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
Don't be a victim , carry.
Agreed. Just be smart on how to use it.

When I get my TV and AS, I'd place stickers that say driver only carries < $20 cash
Old 11-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #298
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
That is where I stood at 6 years old and understand the potential peril I put myself when I am not in familiar places with unfamiliar people, customs and similar thoughts of what I am doing in their terrain. Not everyone has common sense nor a natural understanding of surviving outside the comforts of home. It is to their loss... not mine or others that have experienced what is real and what is not possible. Drop your insurance policies. Leave your firearm at the local Police Station. You are safe in your world. In mine, there are risks.
Rather xenophobic I think.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Guns on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Rather xenophobic I think.

http://youtu.be/FD50OTR3arY

There is not one stitch of racism in Ray's post.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #300
Site Team

, Minnesota
I think you lack both an understanding of the term xenophobic, and the meaning of ad hominem.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #301
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Guns on the road

I don't think so.

Tell me, is there any neighborhood or place in America where you would not tow your Airstream into?

Definition of XENOPHOBE. : one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-15-2015, 01:15 PM   #302
2 Rivet Member

Surf City , New Jersey
We need to protect ourselves because the US Supreme court only protects the criminals!
Old 11-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #303
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Being cautious and prepared is not the same as being fearful.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #304
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Tell me, is there any neighborhood or place in America where you would not tow your Airstream into?
Does carrying a gun embolden you enough to tow into the neighbourhoods that you are alluding to? That seems to suggest that having a gun gives you the courage to throw caution to the wind and ignore situational awareness.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #305
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Hey look, against all odds this thread now stands at over 300 posts!

I am impressed.

If it is to continue, we should avoid inflammatory personal accusations and argue topics.

When things get personal, things get nasty!

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #306
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Guns on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Does carrying a gun embolden you enough to tow into the neighbourhoods that you are alluding to? That seems to suggest that having a gun gives you the courage to throw caution to the wind and ignore situational awareness.

Going into dangerous places should be avoided when possible. But, I imagine a lot of people like me have inadvertently gotten off on the wrong exit, or taken a wrong route to a destination and found themselves in uncomfortable surroundings...

I never throw caution to the wind, and I endeavor to always be situationally aware.

A smart person does not think that a firearm can get him and her out of any bad situation, but instead it might keep a situation from getting bad in the first place, and it might provide an edge where a bad situation might be survived.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-15-2015, 01:27 PM   #307
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Your question suggests that a person would intentionally, rather than mistakenly, tow in a bad neighbourhood.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #308
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Imagine this in the wrong place...

http://youtu.be/EIHrzcrB_3E

Brevi tempore!

Closed Thread