Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #281
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
This thread has missed the most important thing, We are American and under our constitution we have the right to own Guns. But most important is if you to own a weapon are you prepared to use it if your life or Family is in danger.

Waving a gun at someone will get you killed, if you cannot kill someone that is about to harm you or your family then you should not have any firearm's.

To own a firearm is to be reasonable to take the proper training and abide by the law of the land.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.
Well said!!!!!

I strongly support the second amendment as well as I strongly support those who choose to or not to own an firearm.

I would speculate that most folks that share a more negative opinion about the the "right to bare arms" have very little knowledge and experience with firearms. With that being said, opinions are not necessarily based on facts. An opinion should not fuel an argument or disagreement unless the opinion cites incorrect facts. Again, that leads me back to my previous statement about lack of knowledge.

A firearm if cared for properly is no threat to society. If it is abused in any manner it becomes a threat.

Being a gun owner comes with a great amount of responsibility. Most of us have been given the right to protect ourselves. Whether you like or dislike firearms, the right to bare arms is a cornerstone of our freedom. Should that right to responsibly own firearms go away, a great deal of our freedom will go away with it. If you doubt my last statement, take a historical look a many countries around the world. Also not, when the right to bear arms was taken away, bad people still posessed and used firearms.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #282
2 Rivet Member

Surf City , New Jersey
Way too many opinions. No definitive answer. Maybe I will just take my electric chain saw

Old 11-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #283
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
Way too many opinions. No definitive answer. Maybe I will just take my electric chain saw
Kind of where I ended up.

Let's go to the electrical forum and discuss solar panel options for our saws.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #284
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
Old 11-15-2015, 09:08 AM   #285
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I never leave home without my battery powered 1,000,000 volt sawzall/leaf blower/taser/bear spray and general purpose can opener.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	252080  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #286
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
An interesting, if scary, thread.

The US Constitution gives their citizens the right to bear arms (and to bare them, apparently) and most of the preceding posts are written with that in mind. I understand that and wholly support the right of US citizens to determine their own laws for their own country. You want to carry a gun? That's entirely up to you.

It doesn't mean, though, that others from outside the US don't, or can't, have an opinion. We foreigners from Europe and Canada have had very restrictive gun control for generations and we manage quite happily without the "right" to bear arms. Indeed, so happily that our gun-related death rates (that is deaths per 100,000 head of population) are considerably lower than in the US. I'm careful in my use of the phrase "gun related deaths" because I intentionally include accidents and suicides. Why? Because the more guns available then the more accidents will occur and, the contentious one, if guns are more readily available then the incidence of suicide will be higher. It's a debatable point of course, but perhaps the lack of a gun may just give someone the time to re-think that awful decision.

So, we foreigners look at the US and wonder what it is that makes people want to take a gun with them on vacation, or traveling, or to the coffee shop. People in other industrialized nations don't do it, so why is it so important in the US? Are there more bad guys? Do you fear situations that people in other countries don't? Are you the sensible ones and everyone else is taking a massive gamble? (The statistics don't really support that last question because having fewer guns seems to reduce the gamble - I refer to the gun-related death statistics again). I take the point that parts of the US are very remote and law enforcement is patchy at best, but doesn't the same apply in Canada?

Personally I think the US pays too high a price, in the form of gun-related deaths, to support this right to bear arms. However, I'm not a US Citizen so my opinion is just that; long may you determine your own course and the people of other countries will determine theirs.

As a post-script, and I've asked this before, if you're bringing your Airstream to Canada, just for touring and not a hunting trip or transiting to Alaska, how do you feel about not being able to bring your hand guns? Are the arguments for "defence" null and void north of the border?

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
Old 11-15-2015, 09:21 AM   #287
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
I'm guessing that quite a few of those 8,275 homicide victims were also armed, but were worst shots than those they were shooting at.

I have also read that every gun owner is law abiding, right up until they shoot 22 kids and 4 teachers.

Cheers
Tony
I don't think its Legal gun owners doing most of the murders.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #288
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Once upon a time a mighty kingdom told a bunch of colonists to disarm....

When these colonists, freed from the kingdom, set up their new republic, they thought it prudent that governments not be able to disarm citizens in case the government might turn tyrannical....

In view of history, and current events for that matter, I think the colonists got it right.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #289
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I really would like a nice steak and eggs now.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #290
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
And I've got a fifty dollar gift certificate from Texas Roadhouse burning a hole in my pocket! Thanks for the idea!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #291
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
MrUKToad, my answer to your question is that gun ownership in the US is a cultural tradition that dates from the frontier days. Although we were a part of the same country back when it all started, we began to develop different cultural traditions early on. Bearing arms and hunting were always rights of the common people here. The poorest families on the poorest farms were armed and hunted as a part of their sustenance. Compare with Gt. Britain, where being armed and hunting were privileges of the rich and nobility. I believe that as time went on and common people gained more power in Gt. Britain, they viewed gun ownership and hunting with the same suspicion as other privileges of the nobility, and really didn't feel that they were losing anything by restricting them. In fact, some might feel pleasure in tweaking the noses of the nobility in some recompense for the way the nobility had tweaked the noses of common people for so many hundreds of years.

We have been undergoing cultural changes for more than 50 years in the US that no one really understands, and have been particularly unsettling for people living in rural areas. I think this is primarily a rural, rather than an urban issue. I was raised in a small town in Texas during the '50's, primarily by my grandparents. As was typical in those days, my grandfather had long ago lost the key to his front door, and kept a shotgun in the unlocked closet in the front hall. He would no more have dreamed of carrying a gun downtown to go shopping than he would have worn a sword. He also would never have dreamed that anyone would ever challenge his right to keep his shotgun in his front closet, as all his ancestors must have done going back before the Civil War.

I have no idea what my grandfather would think or do if he were alive today, but I do know that he had a strong sense of law and order, and if he thought that the system of law and order that existed during his day were breaking down, he might well have started going to the supermarket armed, probably more as a statement rather than a real need. I think he would have perceived more of a breakdown in order, which is how people conduct themselves, rather than law, which is what we do about it when they conduct themselves badly. If you can't predict how the person standing next to you is going to act, you have to be prepared for every eventuality. We have more policemen and prisons than ever, but order continues to deteriorate. We all have ideas as to why this might be happening, but seem powerless to change the course of things as a society. Which leaves actions one might take as an individual, including bearing legally licensed arms.

Being largely a fatalist, I have no problem going to Canada, Mexico or anywhere else unarmed, other than when I go hunting, which I mainly do with a bow anyway. I have met only friendly and welcoming people both places. I realize there is the remote chance I might meet with those who would like to do me harm, but I choose not to dwell on that. However....I certainly respect the rights of those who feel differently about personal protection than I do.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:20 AM   #292
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Speaking to the OP's question, I feel a gun in the Airstream is unnecessary. Just as I feel it's unnecessary to carry one to work (which would not end well) or shopping at Macy's. Sometimes I carry a 22 in my truck when weekend camping, but only for plinking in the forest if the opportunity presents itself. When unused it stays locked and unloaded in the truck. Same at home.

I did not own any weapons when my children were little. No temptation and no accidents. For years we travelled and camped all throughout the western US and Canada. Never once ran into a situation that could have been improved by shooting someone. Maybe we were just lucky.

As I near retirement my wife and I plan to extend our travel range again. As already noted in this thread the administrative hassle of long range travel with a gun is reason enough to leave it at home. We will travel smart, use situational awareness, and probably mostly avoid camping in rest areas and commercial parking lots due to the propensity of such locations to be magnets for undesirable characters.

This is just my opinion. I'm guessing statistically I have a much greater chance of being killed in a vehicle accident while driving to the campground than being killed in a home invasion scenario in my trailer. Honestly, the day I realize I must carry a loaded gun in the trailer for protection is the day I probably sell my trailer.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #293
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Guns are bad. And gun owners are bad people. They make the world dangerous. Terrorism is because america has guns and global warming too.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #294
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
MrUKToad, my answer to your question...
Thanks for your reasoned and thoughtful response. I know it's largely a cultural issue, as it is for us foreigners when we peer over the border and wonder why things are as they are down there.

I'm very happy that you don't worry too much about coming up to Canada and being gun-less. You will get a very warm welcome here, that's for sure.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
Closed Thread