Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 10:10 PM   #267
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
So, we plan to head west in a few months, and the question of whether to acquire a gun has been on my mind. We don't care to have a weapon in our vehicle. My fear is being threatened in the middle of the night while boondocking and being defenseless. Perhaps a shotgun is the answer as it seems to avoid a lot of the problems that come with handguns.

I'd be interested in specific recommendations as to make/model anyone might have or any other advice. Feel free to PM me.

Joanne
Joanne,

It depends upon many variables. In this case, size does matter - a 300# man can theoretically handle a bigger/more powerful gun than a 100# woman (unless she is trained and prepared). If you are looking simply at a defense weapon for the Airstream while you are inside, such as camping at a Walmart or Boondocking in the boonies, a 20 Gauge is sufficient. Simplicity of mechanism is also beneficial - when someone has just kicked in a door or window, that is no time to try and figure out how to unlock, cock, fire and/or reload. My recommendation for a newbie? 20 Gauge double-barrel, with a simple "break" load/eject. The shorter the better (while still at least minimum legal length). If they're still coming at you after two shotgun blasts, you're dealing with jihadists, not criminals...

Go to a gun shop or sporting goods store, and actually take a look at and feel several different kinds of shotguns, to see what appeals to you (and doesn't intimidate you!). Then take it out to a range and blow a bunch of 1 gallon water jugs and pumpkins or watermelons to hell and back. Professionals don't practice firing (or any other emergency skill or drill) to gain proficiency - that is just the first rung of the ladder. They drill and practice until the skill becomes "muscle memory" - your body performs the task automatically and independently of conscious thought and effort. You've heard fire/police/EMT/military repeatedly state in an after-action report following an emergency "I didn't have time to think - I just reacted and did as I was trained..." If you're not terrified when someone kicks in your door or window in the middle of the night, you fail to grasp your situation. You want a shotgun that will do the job quickly, easily, and by muscle memory because your mind will NOT be in an analytical posture. Ideally, you should be able to repel all boarders AND crap your pants simultaneously!

Tim

Old 11-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #268
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. When you are in an emergency situation rational thought drains out your ears and the training takes over. I have thanked the lucky stars that I paid attention during my Navy training, both firefighting and weaponry.... The firefighting training has saved my butt several times.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
Old 11-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #269
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
I find it so interesting that the Canadians have such strong opinions on this when ther rights have been taken away from them, if they ever had them. It's illegal to have a handgun in Canada, so there is no argument for or against the right to carry.
What a load of BS

Actually it's you Americans that have very strong opinions on guns and or gun control. In neither of my three posts on this thread have I stated an opinion that guns are bad or good. It's gun owners I have a problem with.

Handguns are available for sale to Canadians along with long guns. If I wanted to I could attain a FAC quite easily and buy whatever I wanted, up to and including some semi automatic weapons. HOWEVER the laws pertaining to the transportation of handguns in Canada are very strict. Also laws for safe storage are also quite stringent. Gun ownership is a privilege, not a right in Canada.

As for your opinion that Canadians have no rights or have had them taken away, I would surmize that we have more rights and freedoms than America has these days. Americans have far more departments carrying out surveillance on average Americans than Canada does. You have the NSA, CIA, FBI, State, local police and I'm sure more than a few black programs keeping tabs on you and your pro gun opinions.

An American politicians worst nightmare isn't an ISIS fanatic coming at him with a gun, but a "patriot" with heroic patriotic tendencies toting an automatic rifle bought at a gun show with 100 round magazines loaded on Kentucky whisky, (remember Gabby Giffords).

The fundamental difference between Americans and Canadians is quite simply this. We don't live in fear so we don't feel the need to arm ourselves. We just try and get along with everybody (My British side however always wants to start a brouhaha).

An interesting read if you want it. I especially like the part where it states 172 gun related deaths out of 543 homicides in 2012, (FOR THE WHOLE COUNTRY) all 35 million. Even if you times that amount by 10 to account for the population difference, it would still be far less than the 8,813 killed by gunfire in the US.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ottawa-shooti...nk-low-1710167

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-14-2015, 10:54 PM   #270
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Guns on the road

Uh oh,,, starting to turn bad!

Anyway,,,

Actually the guy that shot Giffords was a head case that was in love with the Congresswoman but she didn't even know his name, he was for sure not what we would call a "patriot", and I remember not a thing about the assailant being drunk on Kentucky whisky or any other beverage.

JustSayin...

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-14-2015, 11:22 PM   #271
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Vicksburg , Mississippi
And, FWIW, a few facts and humble opinions regarding some other posts in this thread:

1.) New York State can bluster all it wants. If you have been on the road 14 hours, and just aren't going to clear the stretch of I-90 between Buffalo and the Mass Turnpike without endangering yourself by falling asleep while piloting a 17,000 GCW TV/TT combo - either stop and take a nap, or find a motel room/ Walmart/ Crackerbarrel and get a decent night's sleep. As long as your weapon and ammo are secured as outlined in 18 USC 726a, and you are in legal possession of it, New York State has no say. The first line of the Federal Law states "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof..." meaning that the Federal law trumps and takes precedence over state, county or city laws and regulations. If you look around at the parking lot and neighborhood of that Walmart in Schenectady or Crackerbarrel in Syracuse and decide that you want to have your Glock under your pillow, you better have a LEOSA permit or a CCP issued by NYS or you're in deep kimchee.

2.) Since everyone is throwing around statistics about homicides and firearms, let me give you a few that were gathered over the last 30+ years by the FBI, U.S. Dept. of Justice, and U.S. Census. First of all, 8 - 10 cities (depending upon year) account for 85% of all homicides committed by handguns in the USA. The rest of the country is pretty safe, actually. Sadly, although they represent only 13% of the U.S. population, blacks account for 49% of all homicide victims and 52% of all convicted killers (FBI/USDOJ). Most of these victims and killers are young black males (a 22 year old black male in the USA has a 1:1,000 chance of death by homicide; a white 22 yr old has a 1:10,000 chance of the same. (US Census)). This isn't anecdotal, this is data. And PLEASE - don't read any racist rant or agenda into these stats. The simple fact is that over 80% of our homicides are urban, and gang related. Period. Lesson learned? Don't camp with your $60k pickup and $100k Airsteam in a Walmart or any other unsecured parking lot in places like downtown Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, Los Angeles or Houston (to name a few). Don't camp in South Bronx or Compton. Think "Situational Awareness". It doesn't protect you 100% of the time, and there are nut-jobs and dingleberries wandering the backwoods and great open spaces of God's Country - which is why we are discussing the pros and cons of carrying guns in our Silver Twinkies on this thread. If you can defend yourself and your rig with bear spray or wasp juice, or unicorn dust; and fight with the strength of ten because your heart is pure - then bless your heart!

3.) Canada is a whole 'nother country. Literally. They don't have a Second Amendment, and ours does not have extraterritoriality when we leave the USA. So, Canadians' opinions and attitudes towards gun ownership are not formed or affected by the whole "Constitutional rights" argument that is inherent in any American debate on the subject. And, their laws seem to be working for them. I think it's just because Canadians are too polite to kill you. The people, anyway - not the bears. Those Canadian bears will kill you...

On the whole, my congratulations to all for a civil discourse on a very sensitive and divisive subject. Now I'm going back over to that other thread so I can SCREAM IN ALL CAPS AT MORONS WHO THINK THEY CAN PULL AN AIRSTREAM WITH A DANG PRIUS...!!

Be Safe and enjoy our lifestyle!
Old 11-14-2015, 11:42 PM   #272
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I like my 12 ga. AND pumpkin pie!

12 ga. - preferred state of readiness for my Mossberg 590 is: SAFETY ON, 2 3/4" 00 buckshot round in the chamber. 7 or 8 in the magazine.

Pumpkin pie - I like the ones that have more spices than not. Never did care for the ones that are bright orange. I like mine more brown. LOTS of whipped cream or Cool Whip! I prefer it cold.

My basic personality: I don't care if anyone else likes or dislikes any of the above. You are free to choose.
(That reminds me..... it used to be common to hear, "It's a free country, isn't it?"..... Not so much any more.)
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
Old 11-14-2015, 11:49 PM   #273
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I shot a pumpkin a couple of days ago...
Old 11-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Shot a pumpkin?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447567131.658225.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	252074

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-15-2015, 12:03 AM   #275
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Naw, that's punkin chunkin 😄

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
Old 11-15-2015, 12:03 AM   #276
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My neighbor has 30 acres of pumpkins. The field is full of culls left to rot. Plenty of targets.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:24 AM   #277
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Sorry, I had to post it.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-15-2015, 02:49 AM   #278
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since the aluminum skin of an Airstream is designed to keep some water out and wind to flow around it, it is not projectile proof. Discharging a firearm inside and missing a solid target will most likely find an exit hole in the skin of the trailer. "I wonder where it went?" might have some negative answers.

Just saying that there may not be an appropriate backstop outside for the errant projectile....

Another factor to consider in the discussion.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 11-15-2015, 07:40 AM   #279
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Shot a pumpkin?

Attachment 252074

Brevi tempore!
See this is what I love about Americans.

A Canadian would look at you in stunned silence if you told them that you wanted to shoot a pumpkin, "Why the heck would you want to ruin a perfectly good pumpkin?" he or she would say.

Given American ingenuity and determination I watched in stunned amazement as some yobo from Gods knows where loaded a $300,000 dollar massive contraption and lobed an orange round gourd almost 3/4 of a mile with compressed air.

If this same level of determination and ingenuity was driven to save humanity, all world problems would be solved.

Yes, Canadians are polite and it takes a long time to drive one to anger but watch out if you do.

An Americans generals worst nightmare is invading Canada as we would be your Hotel California.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-15-2015, 07:44 AM   #280
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
To Own or Not

This thread has missed the most important thing, We are American and under our constitution we have the right to own Guns. But most important is if you to own a weapon are you prepared to use it if your life or Family is in danger.

Waving a gun at someone will get you killed, if you cannot kill someone that is about to harm you or your family then you should not have any firearm's.

To own a firearm is to be reasonable to take the proper training and abide by the law of the land.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Closed Thread