Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #225
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
A point that I don't think has been covered; when fireing any firearm in an enclosed space ie. ones A$, one will NOT hear for some time.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #226
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I have a pistol grip 20GA, bought it years ago from a national retail chain general merchandise discount store - it was called at the time "Camper Special".

Old 11-14-2015, 09:51 AM   #227
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Savannah , Georgia
There is an app " legal heat " which as the laws of all the states on caring.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #228
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I'm more familiar with wildlife encounters than wild human encounters, being an avid backpacker and bowhunter. Occasionally, one will find a series of posts like these on bowhunting forums, only directed toward what weapon is best for personal defense while hunting, as a bow isn't much of a deterrent against a charging bear or moose. Opinions range all around the block, as here. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is that if you are charged by a bear that intends to kill you, you will have very little time to do anything about it, and that unless you are an excellent, practiced pistol shot, you won't be able to hit the charging bear with a pistol, even if you get it out in time to shoot. A short barreled shotgun with buckshot is generally considered to be the best defense against a charging bear, as it is adequate to stop a bear, and most people can learn to shoot it accurately with minimal training. However, it is heavy and cumbersome and most people aren't going to carry one on a backpacking or bow hunting trip.

Bear spray, on the other hand, is light weight and readily accessible if carried on your belt. It is accurate because you can see the stream and can direct it into the bear's eyes, which you will probably do instinctively, even if terrified. 9 times out of 10, a bear's charge isn't intended to be lethal, but is a feint, which is normal bear behavior intended to scare you away. If you bear spray a bear that is just feinting, you will probably feel less guilty (and have far less legal hassles) than you would if you shot it. I know a game warden in Wyoming who has had many bear encounters over a 30 year career, and told me bear spray has been 100% effective in all of them. The main arguments I have heard against depending on bear spray are that it does you no good if you are inside a tent and the bear is ripping through the tent to get at you, and it is pretty much a one-shot deal, as nobody seems to ever carry more than one can of bear spray.

Actually, the most dangerous animal you might face in the wilderness is not a bear, but a moose. If one decides to charge you, it won't be turned back by bear spray, and they generally have disagreeable tempers. However, you will probably see a moose at some distance away, and I wouldn't recommend approaching it much closer.

I would rather have bear spray than nothing in an encounter with a human, also, but mainly as a surprise deterrent, say a small container concealed in the palm of my hand. Imagining facing off with someone and trying to discourage them by threatening them with a can of bear spray forms somewhat of a ridiculous image in my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 11-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #229
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Although a miscreant can't tell if you have 00 buck or not, the sound of a pump 12 ga. makes a more lasting impression if they are coherent at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Imagining facing off with someone and trying to discourage them by threatening them with a can of bear spray forms somewhat of a ridiculous image in my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	252035   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	252036  

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
Old 11-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #230
1 Rivet Member

Sun City West , Arizona
Gun laws

Your Airstream is your home and the laws are different in each state.

If this link has been posted before, I apologize for the waste of bandwidth.

Handgunlaw.us

For example you may drive thru NY state with a weapon and stop for fuel.
If you stay the night you have broken the law.
You have to continue thru the state without stopping. From one end to the other.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #231
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Sorry, but that "rack it them to scare them away" theory isn't a great idea. First, you don't want a cold gun for protection. There might not be enough time to chamber a round when you need it. Second, that round may misfeed. Third, that noise only gives away your position. Any gun I rely on for protection is ready to go. Of course the safety is on if it is equipped with one.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #232
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
OH, but what a noise that is. I agree that one doesn't want a cold gun so make it the real thing. Should it be a slug or shot the point will be well made.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #233
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post

Actually, the most dangerous animal you might face in the wilderness is not a bear, but a moose. If one decides to charge you, it won't be turned back by bear spray, and they generally have disagreeable tempers. However, you will probably see a moose at some distance away, and I wouldn't recommend approaching it much closer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Worst is meeting one at dusk on the road. A moose's fur along with the darker winter fur on deer is designed by nature to absorb as much light as possible to give the creature warmth in the winter months. Believe it or not, in low light situations this renders the animal invisible to the human eye as not enough light is bounced back towards you; it's mostly absorbed by the fur. Many accounts of people shocked when hitting something that big and not seeing it until the very last second.

The Newfies don't call them boxcars on stilts for nothing. Just remember to duck while you go under and brace for a hellava impact.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-14-2015, 02:13 PM   #234
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Additionally, their eyes don't reflect the light. They're almost completely invisible.

Back on topic, if you think that an untrained civilian can effectively use a gun for the purpose of self defence, then the statistics are against you.

The second you own a gun is the second the numbers have turned against you.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #235
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Train. Please.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:45 PM   #236
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Guns on the road

We can agree to disagree on that.

http://controversialtimes.com/issues...ad-1-arrested/

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #237
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Orlando , Florida
Looking at shotguns. Maybe something like this? BTW, there are some pistol grip models.

Benelli Nova Tactical Pump-Action Shotgun | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear
Old 11-14-2015, 04:12 PM   #238
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
A Maverick is a fine defensive shotgun. They are a Mossberg 500, except with the safety in a different location. They can be had for about 200 bucks.