Biloxi , Mississippi
Endless possibilities!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	252014  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #184
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA

Old 11-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #185
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Paiceman, excellent post. Quick question, do you travel through or stop in states like NY, NJ, MD, MA? Wondering how you handle them. What about cities like DC, NYC, or Philly?

Also, for reference, this is the Federal Law you are talking about.

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:

Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Thanks for the post. I particularly wanted to give some help and advise on the passenger aspect of travel, but got carried away a bit.

As to your question.

When we travel through what I call "Gun Free Zones", we secure the weapon in a gun safe and ammunition in another gun safe. We tow the AS with an F350 with a hard cover on the bed with a lock. I will store the weapons in there and the ammo in the Airstream or vice versa. If only traveling in the pick up or my wife's SUV I store the ammo in the gun safe and secure it in the very back and I store the weapons in another gun safe and that is put under the rear seat. Not to hide but to make unavailable to me or my wife and the ammo is separate as noted.

However, that said, despite have relatives in a number of gun free states and cities, I no longer travel to those areas as we cannot stop, legally. We meet either at our place or a "neutral" place. Plus, we avoid these areas as much as possible. When going west this past summer I stopped in an IN rest area, moved weapons and ammo and put them as noted and passed through IL. Then on other side reversed. Hassle, but try to follow individual laws. We no longer camp in any of these areas.

Many feel there is no need to carry, and in 99% of the cases they are correct. My feelings are pretty simple and basic. The average response time throughout the US to a 911 call is about 20 minutes, most incidents take less than 5 minutes. Second, I do not want my last thought to be, "Wish I had my gun". Third, I love guns, all kinds, always have and can't explain it, no one else in my family, either side would ever consider owning one. Last, my time in service gave me additional training, respect and insight into weapons and it's the respect that drove me to secure various credentials and permits. As I stated prior, if you are opposed to weapons, don't get one. If you want one for protection, think about it, think again and then take a firearms safety class to learn as much as you can and then make the final decision are my recommendations. Many people I taught never bought a weapon, which is good as they were never comfortable around one.

Be Safe

Bud
Old 11-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #186
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Ok, I concede, stupid notion.

I did have another thought, we have DARE in schools right. Why couldn't sheriffs have a gun program, teach kids gun safety, how to shoot. Get them exposed at an early age to know this isn't a movie and a weapon is the power of life and death. Might prevent kids from accidently shooting themselves.

Teach them to treat all weapons as loaded, etc.
Right... because they might shoot their eye out!

Red Ryder Air Rifle
Old 11-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #187
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber.roger View Post
I am new to this RV life travel thing. What is the definitive word on traveling with a gun for security. I have to think moving between states with a gun may present a problem? Or is it only if you are caught???
I'm serious.
interesting
Old 11-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #188
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I think we have to continue in the Life and Death thread.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:30 PM   #189
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
new at this

OK, I am newbie at this life style. I did camp out a lot when I was younger however that was in a foreign land!! aren't camp grounds safe?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:01 PM   #190
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Not according to most of the people on this thread.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #191
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ham Lake , Minnesota
Quote:

I did have another thought, we have DARE in schools right. Why couldn't sheriffs have a gun program, teach kids gun safety, how to shoot. Get them exposed at an early age to know this isn't a movie and a weapon is the power of life and death. Might prevent kids from accidently shooting themselves.

When my daughter was in first grade I presented Eddie Eagle to the class. For those who may not know about the program, this is gun safety training aimed at elementary age children. It is pretty simple: Don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult. The materials are available from the NRA and were free when I presented them in the early 90's.

When I came back 3 years later to present again, this time to my son's first grade class, I learned that the teacher had presented the program each year on her own, and she thanked me for presenting and for bringing the program to her attention.

Point is that you do not need an official government program to do the right thing.

As for learning how to shoot, check out the local 4-H. Programs vary from county to county. Instruction and participation is age appropriate and supervised by a coach at all times. Your children also get to be around 4-H kids - kids I have found to be very respectful, polite, responsible, and ... Well, you get the picture. Even now, many years later, I find it easy to spot a 4-H kid after only a few minutes of conversation.

Happy AirStreaming!
Old 11-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Arnold View Post
OK, I am newbie at this life style. I did camp out a lot when I was younger however that was in a foreign land!! aren't camp grounds safe?

I have found campgrounds in 50 years of camping to be very safe, except on the rare instance of theft, such as bikes, grills, coolers etc. Boondocking as well. Rest areas, public parking lots maybe not, although we have not had an issue, I know of some who have. I carry virtually everywhere I go, camping or not, therefore, my comments relative to carrying etc are not only for camping.

Bud
Old 11-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #193
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:

Because all the soccer mom's would have heart attacks!

BTW - Just last month my 6 year old daughter and I were watching Youtube video on the NRA "Eddie the Eagle" gun safety program. She liked it. We later followed this up with actually handling various guns, a face to face hard talk about guns, what to do if she sees one at a friends house and then we had some fun shooting the daisy bb gun at a target. She had a great time with our training and she was eager to do this several times since.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
Old 11-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #194
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Arnold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWGetaways View Post
Not according to most of the people on this thread.
Not all of us camp in fancy campgrounds.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Yep...

Even an overnight stay at Wal Mart can be an adventure....

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-13-2015, 03:13 PM   #196
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Nuvite-F is Correct

I am an NRA Training Counselor teaching rifle and pistol instructors how to teach others how to use firearms to defend themselves. I also teach NM Concealed Carry.
Because of ambiguity and complexity of traveling with firearms across state lines, I try to ensure that every student leaves with the Traveler's Guide to Gun Laws in the 50 States. I buy 'em by the case.
You ask if it's serious. Sadly, it's dead serious. Law abiding citizens can have their life changed forever for having a handgun in certain states, just as you can lose your life in NM if you and your travel trailer are abducted at a rest stop and you can't defend yourself.