Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 03:56 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscousCycle View Post
That's because those pesky bullets that come out the end can still have an "impact" on my life and the life of those I love. So, whether I personally indulge is a moot point, I still get to have an opinion.

Whether there are guns or no guns is not the question, guns are here to stay. This is evidenced by gun violence being problematic even in nations where they have been banned for decades.

The question is whether a law abiding citizen can remain a law abiding citizen while owning a gun.

Frankly, in my opinion, the only legal way to ban or limit private ownership of guns is repeal of the second amendment.

Guns are dangerous no doubt, but they are not going away, ever. The make them illegal and only outlaws will own guns.

If we lived in a perfect world we wouldn't have them, but this world is not perfect and it never will be.

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #202
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Just MHO on this issue.

I have always cast a very jaundiced eye on civilians (and even some military) people that carry handguns. The reason being, is that far too many people are taught how to fire their guns, but are not being taught how to hold fire, even under duress. A proper military training by the very best taught me that self control is alway paramount when around weapons.

Also remember that a quick strong agile assailant can and will travel 20+ feet in the time that you unholster, cock, safety off, aim and fire; the 20+ feet takes into account that you were mentally and physically ready to pull your weapon as the person charged. If you're not ready, add another 10+ feet depending on your reflexes.

So if in your Airstream an assailant comes through the door, a can of mace/pepper or jar of vinegar and a knife will be more effective than a gun any day; and customs won't confiscate that Kukri knife (the best knife to bring to a gun fight) hanging above your counter.

Hopefully you just incapacitate them and not take their life, as living with ghosts, however justified is something to be avoided. Trailers and cars can be replaced.

Remember, just MHO
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 11-13-2015, 04:33 PM   #203
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Interesting thread to see here

I just completed a trip by myself with the Airstream to Texas and back. I did start the trip with my son's dog a Belgian Malinois but handed her over in Colorado. I had my gun, pepper spray, and taser with me. The gun was in my console during travel. I do not have my CCW yet, but still I don't think any place would deny having a gun in your vehicle.
No problems on the trip. Put doggy in trailer with screen door only when I left the vehicle, believe me, she knows her job.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #204
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BessieB View Post
I had my gun, pepper spray, and taser with me. The gun was in my console during travel. I do not have my CCW yet, but still I don't think any place would deny having a gun in your vehicle.
Bad assumption. That's a felony in many states, and you might end up locked up in a real bad neighborhood for a few years regretting that assumption.

Be careful out there, folks.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #205
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Maitland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adiredneck View Post
6.) If you are trained and proficient with a handgun, carry it (legally). If you are not, gunplay is not something you want to learn OJT (on-the-job). Nothing beats a shotgun. Nothing. 00 Buck wins just about every argument, and shotguns have the least amount of regulatory BS.
So, we plan to head west in a few months, and the question of whether to acquire a gun has been on my mind. We don't care to have a weapon in our vehicle. My fear is being threatened in the middle of the night while boondocking and being defenseless. Perhaps a shotgun is the answer as it seems to avoid a lot of the problems that come with handguns.

I'd be interested in specific recommendations as to make/model anyone might have or any other advice. Feel free to PM me.

Joanne
Old 11-13-2015, 09:55 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Defensive versus Offensive

Many have missed the point that a Pistol for the law abiding citizen is a DEFENSIVE WEAPON. It is used for close range Offensive/Defensive in military engagements. Do not confuse the two.

In Vietnam you could not have a Helicopter pilot shot down and trying to locate the M-16 in the wreckage, that was somewhere on board. The "side arm" is always there and secure. It goes where you go.

When we are camped in our Airstream Off the Grid in Bear Country... a side arm is as defensive of a weapon you can carry. Your hands are free for a walking stick, etc.. On the open prairies of Wyoming or deserts of Nevada... the need for a defensive weapon is not very great. At higher elevations among the trees... a side arm is insurance and trumps a walking stick for protection. If in your entire lifetime you did not need this "insurance", the peace of mind was worth every day this firearm traveled the forests with you.

Do not confuse the Swiss and their low murder rate per 100,000 with a firearm. All Swiss are required to own and be proficient with a weapon. The population is mostly European homogeneous population with common interests.

The USA has major city urban centers with an entirely different culture, than the rural communities and least populated States. Comparing statistics is used to push agendas and not to be taken as being accurate for a population taken as a whole. A pick and choose a statistic to prove your point of view. Do you actually believe that the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg would have different ratios?

Belgium: 2.42
Luxembourg: 2.02
Netherlands: 0.46

The majority were.... suicides. The same with the USA. Homicides 3.55. Suicides 6.7.
Even the years the information were taken can vary for comparison.

I worked at a State OSHA department for two years. I could work the statistics for whatever I wanted to prove.

The "bad guys" have all of the advantages. Robbing you is breaking the law. Carrying a firearm in Chicago is breaking the law. A career criminal does not care about what you think is legal or not legal. You are at their peril and mercy to be... lenient, when you are told to go into the alley with them and be quiet after depriving you of your wallet, watch and wedding band. Now what, they want a friendly chat with you in the alley?

When I am in the forests and Off the Grid... a sidearm is MY defensive weapon. If the noise of a round being fired does not deter a 400 pound bear from charging or an 800 pound grizzly... you get a second, third and... tenth time to get the message across with a different intent.

In my entire lifetime, I have not had an encounter with man or beast where I needed to draw my weapon for defensive reasons. The trip that I relax and leave my silent partner back in a drawer within our trailer... I could become a statistic of a Bear/Human contact that was not amiable...

You can be Barnie or Sheriff Taylor, but use common sense and judgment that some places are not protected with zoo tenders and staff to shoo away bad things that have replaced you at the top of the food chain. I always recommend to fellow OtG campsites to carry a sidearm.

The ultimate weapon of choice is the shot gun at home... or while on the road towing your Airstream. Airstreams are much like Rolex watches to a criminal. Valuable assets. The first round will get the message across skyward. You then hook up the trailer and find an area that is less prone in making you a potential victim.

I have to commend the Moderators for letting everyone vent on this subject. Although some posts add confusion that most of us are potential criminals for just possessing a firearm... but when they find themselves in danger, they hope the Forest Service Ranger is carrying something other than a can of mace and a note pad to take notes at the scene of the crime. The attitudes vary from Rural States to Urbanized States, so be open minded and I do not expect New York City to have the same attitudes as Farson, Wyoming towards firearms.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I transport, don t carry, I enjoy shooting paper, just like some like to bowl. I have my piece cased out of reach in the back of my truck. NOT the bed !!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #208
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Whether there are guns or no guns is not the question, guns are here to stay. This is evidenced by gun violence being problematic even in nations where they have been banned for decades.

The question is whether a law abiding citizen can remain a law abiding citizen while owning a gun.

Frankly, in my opinion, the only legal way to ban or limit private ownership of guns is repeal of the second amendment.

Guns are dangerous no doubt, but they are not going away, ever. The make them illegal and only outlaws will own guns.

If we lived in a perfect world we wouldn't have them, but this world is not perfect and it never will be.

Brevi tempore!
Hi J. Morgan. You are one that I trust with a gun. I was just responding to mandolindaves assertion that those who don't indulge in gun ownership shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on the matter.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #209
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I transport, don t carry, I enjoy shooting paper, just like some like to bowl. I have my piece cased out of reach in the back of my truck. NOT the bed !!
I carry as part of my job, but love to shoot paper and steel for sport. I shoot about 5 days a week. Matter of fact, I just got back from the weekly .22 bench matches.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #210
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscousCycle View Post
Hi J. Morgan. You are one that I trust with a gun. I was just responding to mandolindaves assertion that those who don't indulge in gun ownership shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion on the matter.

Got ya!!

("Like button")

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #211
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Guns on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirStmr View Post
So, we plan to head west in a few months, and the question of whether to acquire a gun has been on my mind. We don't care to have a weapon in our vehicle. My fear is being threatened in the middle of the night while boondocking and being defenseless. Perhaps a shotgun is the answer as it seems to avoid a lot of the problems that come with handguns.

I'd be interested in specific recommendations as to make/model anyone might have or any other advice. Feel free to PM me.

Joanne

As varied as tow vehicles and trailer tire preferences ...
Depends on the size of your hand, perceived need, and amount you're willing to spend.
I have big hands so I like a Steyr GB or 44 Automag or Colt 1911. The Mrs prefers a Walther PPK or PPK/S. None of which I've ever had jam even with cheap dirty ammo, Barettas, Glocks, etc. no thanks. Revolvers a different critter ...
I'll stop here.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Guns on the road

Over 200 posts on a subject that can be very contentious,,, I am impressed. (For whatever that is worth, not much probably, but I had to say it anyway )

Congrats to everyone who posted here, while things may have gotten warm a few times, it never got so hot that the thread got shot down.

I really like it when people who disagree can have a real conversation that is not continuously disrespectful but at the same time not homogenized via disingenuous appeasement.

We need this friends, both in this forum and in our nation.

And hey, even if things do turn bad, we still made it to 200+!

That is progress in my view.

(Remember friends, resist the urge to make things personal, and try to turn the other cheek when it does get personal. Who knows? meaningful subject based conversation may be a result)

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #213
Rivet Master

For the record. I didn't post this…not my quote

Quote:
Originally posted by mandolindave.
"What I find sad is the people who don't like guns and even brag that they've never owned or even shot one think they have some uncanny insight into the things and should be the arbiters on whether other others should have them."

I didn't write that
Old 11-13-2015, 11:06 PM   #214
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1447481187.115671.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	252029

Brevi tempore!

Old 11-14-2015, 01:10 AM   #215
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Quote:
Originally posted by mandolindave.
"What I find sad is the people who don't like guns and even brag that they've never owned or even shot one think they have some uncanny insight into the things and should be the arbiters on whether other others should have them."

I didn't write that
Dear MandolinDave,
You are right, I was wrong. Please accept my most sincere apology. I don't know how I messed that one up so badly.
Again, I'm sorry.
Julie
Old 11-14-2015, 02:26 AM   #216
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Interesting point handgun vs shotgun. Could even add rifle in there.

I always thought handgun first because it's less cumbersome inside a small trailer and as ray pointed out its an effective/easy companion for certain hikes.

Regarding the trailer part, anything that warrants a trigger pull will be so close that the spread of buck will be no bigger than a .45, 9mm, or whatever your choice is. So that argument doesn't play too well with me. I do like that the buck will overpenetrate less than a handgun round. That's one reason why a rifle is a poor choice in my estimation.

Legalities being what they are, maybe a shotgun is the way to go?

And yes, it's contemplations like this that should be capable of civil discussions such that this thread stays open. Thanks to all.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:02 AM   #217
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Since the interior of a trailer is confining, I wonder if the "modified" shotguns with just a hand grip instead of a full stock and shorter barrel are still considered a shotgun or a pistol?

Could be an interesting point of discussion with border agents or LEOs.

That would be a more "usable" choice in a confined space.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 11-14-2015, 04:56 AM   #218
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Have always travelled armed. Only time without was when in Canada or on a flying trip. Not paranoid about it. Just consider it a part of life now a days. Not worried about the laws so much because I figured if I had to use it then the fines or jail time would be the least of my worries. I made a promise to the dear wife a long time ago that I would do everything in my power to protect her and the family no matter where we are, home or on the road. I have never had to use it but its comforting to know its there. Of course the gear is locked and hidden away. Don't leave home with out it. Partial to Sig Sauer in a .40 S&W myself. Do your own thing and keep a low profile.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:18 AM   #219
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Since the interior of a trailer is confining, I wonder if the "modified" shotguns with just a hand grip instead of a full stock and shorter barrel are still considered a shotgun or a pistol?

Don't think you can even buy something like that in NJ. Modified stock is likely a no-no.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:21 AM   #220
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

The shortest shotgun barrel you can have in general is 18". To have shorter, you have to get a $200 tax stamp.

Pistol grips on shotguns? They may sound like a good idea and look cool in the movies. In reality, they make the gun hard to control.
Closed Thread