Old 12-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vancouver , I live on cruise ships.
Guest Home Option?

I was considering turning an airstream or Spartan into a long term guest house. Has anybody ever seen somebody build a double wide in the style of an airstream?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Well, I've seen Airstreams used as pool houses/guest houses, and seen trailers with a roof over them and a single wide type cabin built next to them, so they are all one unit and the trailer is part of the house - there is a campground near here with semi-permanent residents that has many like that - but I have never seen a double-wide Airstream

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
McHenry , Illinois
Airstreams have curved roofs and sides. You could not pull two airstreams together to make a double wide. Airstreams are only 8 ft wide. Mobiles are 12 or 14 foot wide. I have seen Airstreams with 8 to 10 ft Florida rooms built on the curbside, if they are no longer going to be moved. I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to try to make a double. Better to spend your money on a mobile.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If you're in Vancouver, BC I don't think our local bylaws allow for a trailer to be used as any kind of residence (even temporary). You can try it, but once a neighbour decides they don't like it, they can complain and the bylaw officers will investigate. You can double check by contacting the planning department. But I'm pretty certain that an old client of mine ran into this problem several years ago (they wanted to live in their trailer while their house was undergoing renovations and were told no). If you want a guest house, you'd need to go through proper channels with the city. If your property is has the right residential zoning, you can build a coach house. You need a design and then go through the permit process. If you're interested, I can help you with that.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote