Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Lots of good questions here!

The Natures Head Toilet has worked very well for us. There is no smell (chemical or otherwise), and we can usually go about 6 weeks before we need to change the peat moss. As for disposing it, this has been the biggest issue for us as we are on the road full time. There are several options. In several cases, we have been staying on property or boondocking where "humanure" is easily disposed of in existing compost piles, or in the woods where it will quickly finish composting and does not present a hazard. A couple of times we have had to put it down the pit toilet at a campground. This is not ideal, but it will not cause a problem in the toilet as once again it will quickly be integrated into the other waste. Remember, you are only emptying the toilet 8 times a year or so if you are full time, and way less than that if you are a weekend warrior. No matter what you do, it is way less work than hooking up the stinky slinky and emptying the black tank all the time! We also use the restrooms in the campgrounds where we stay to lessen the "load" if you will! There is however just the two of us. Two adults and three kids may be a bit much for the toilet. Talk with Larry at Natures Head before you proceed.

The cork flooring looks very nice, is naturally cushioning, and has worn pretty well considering we have had several thousand people tour our AS! However, it does not respond all that well to moisture, sand, and a few other things you encounter out there. I would probably not use it again and would go with marmoleum which we used on the counters instead.

The solar system from AM Solar has been flawless. We use it for all our electrical needs including lighting, computers, etc. We have never run out of power under any circumstance as of yet. We are of course very conservative (no TV, no AC, no microwave, etc.) and have all LED lighting. Solar panels should last 20 years or more if properly maintained. We run the fridge on propane as it uses very little, and have a catalytic heater which is also very frugal on gas. Running full time we can go at about a month on one 30# tank depending on how cold it is.

Hope this helps!

FLYNCLD
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #22
Worldturners

1976 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Toxicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
We used the Icynene MDR 80 medium density foam. The product works with the LEED approach. . . .

There's an excellent thread on spray foam insulation, . . .
My concerns with foam are the toxicity, VOCs, etc. Getting green gets confusing sometimes, because even though it may be "green" to recycle, with some things you have to weigh the pros and cons of having a toxic environment.

tdturn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Here's an interesting review in the NYT on a book called Green Gone Bad.
Off the Shelf - ‘Green Gone Wrong’ - Can Capitalism Save the Planet? - Review - NYTimes.com

Quite frankly, I'm more concerned about what we'll tow our AS with after 2016 when the EPA calls for trucks that meet a 25 MPG average rule. At this point in time, I'm looking for a TV made before 1995 that can be registered as a classic. That's not to say that the Feds and the EPA won't change the rules mid stream and eliminate the "classic designation" and emissions exemptions.
Well heck, that only applies to new trucks. You won't have to scrap your vehicle just onnacounta it will still only get 10 MPG... The real question will be can you still afford gas for a 10MPG truck in 2016?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:52 PM   #24
Worldturners

1976 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Thumbs up Power with Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
. . .So, on the wastewater side you are down to gray tank(s)... The most complicated system is the 110v/12v electrical system, but it really isn't that hard.

Most of the complex items come in a box, e.g., the refrigerator. There isn't usually any welding and minimal metal fabrication. If you go slow and think carefully... and ask questions here, you'll find it's not so much "hard" as simply time consuming. Good luck.
This is at the same time encouraging and grounding. You inspired us to start looking into electrical, and today I brought home from the library the book, Power with Nature. I really like it so far. Your comment was grounding in that it reminded us again that it is taking a really long time. Oh well, it's worth it.

We hadn't even thought of the fact that we'll be able to get rid of the black tank. Yeah!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
Worldturners

1976 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Question Engine Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Well heck, that only applies to new trucks. You won't have to scrap your vehicle just onnacounta it still only get 10 MPG... The real question will be can you still afford gas for a 10MPG truck in 2016?
Well, that's great news!

So, I was wondering? Keep in mind here, I know just about nothing about mechanics, so please don't laugh if my question is foolish . . . Can you just take out the gasoline engine and put in some new kind of alternative fuel engine - biodiesel, hydrogen, water, electric, or whatever else is out there? Or are there a bunch of other parts that won't work together with the new engine unless they are switched out too? - Natasha (just so no one would think my husband was asking such a goofy question) :-)

Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Natasha,

I personally don't consider questions like that to be funny. Yes, what you suggest could be done, but there's a question or two you will ask yourself:

1. Will the mix of new technology engine and old tech body still pull my trailer to my satisfaction?
2. How much will it cost, i.e. is there a more efficient (cheaper) solution?

I think personally that the electric replacement kits have the most promise. I don't think they are there yet to satisfy either of the questions above, but I bet they will be soon...
Old 04-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #27
Worldturners

1976 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNCLD View Post
The Natures Head Toilet . . . we can usually go about 6 weeks before we need to change the peat moss. As for disposing it, this has been the biggest issue for us as we are on the road full time. There are several options. In several cases, we have been staying on property or boondocking where "humanure" is easily disposed of in existing compost piles, or in the woods where it will quickly finish composting and does not present a hazard. . . .

The cork flooring looks very nice, is naturally cushioning, and has worn pretty well considering we have had several thousand people tour our AS! However, it does not respond all that well to moisture, sand, and a few other things you encounter out there. I would probably not use it again and would go with marmoleum which we used on the counters instead.

The solar system from AM Solar has been flawless. We use it for all our electrical needs including lighting, computers, etc. We have never run out of power under any circumstance as of yet. We are of course very conservative (no TV, no AC, no microwave, etc.) and have all LED lighting. Solar panels should last 20 years or more if properly maintained. We run the fridge on propane as it uses very little, and have a catalytic heater which is also very frugal on gas.
. . .
FLYNCLD
I was hoping you'd say that about the compost disposal. That's good.

As for the cork, do you think if we always took our shoes off at the door that we would be okay. The getting wet issue, is that only a problem in the bathroom? Could we use a different flooring in there? We were considering doing a wet bath anyway.

The solar, do you know anyone who has made their own panels and been successful with them? After reading Power with Nature I'm even more convinced that it would be really cool to have a small windmill for nighttime or stormy days. We don't need the TV antennae either, so that would make a little more room. We won't be using a microwave either. How do you get by without AC though? Do you not travel anywhere super-hot like Texas, or is there another way you get around that? Do you use Fantastic Fans?

Does propane leak carbon monoxide?

What is a catalytic heater?

Thanks for all your feedback! This is fun

Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #28
Worldturners

1976 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Natasha,

1. Will the mix of new technology engine and old tech body still pull my trailer to my satisfaction?
2. How much will it cost, i.e. is there a more efficient (cheaper) solution?

I think personally that the electric replacement kits have the most promise. I don't think they are there yet to satisfy either of the questions above, but I bet they will be soon...
Good. That means by 2016 when gas is insane, I should have saved up enough money, and the price should be decent enough on alternative technology that I can actually do something about the problem.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #29
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I believe the denim is a little heavy, but is a good insulator (when dry). I would pencil out the weight vs other options.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdturn2 View Post
My concerns with foam are the toxicity, VOCs, etc. Getting green gets confusing sometimes, because even though it may be "green" to recycle, with some things you have to weigh the pros and cons of having a toxic environment.
Cellulose based products are a viable option. It is made out of recycled products (straw, sawdust, ..). They typically use Borax as fire retardant with is non-toxic.
gamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #31
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Does propane leak carbon monoxide?
There is a special detecter for propane gas. I can't remember all the specifics, but the main item with them is that propane is heavier than air, so it pools at the bottom of your trailer. The detector mounts low, for this reason. It's also why your refer has a grill underneath it so that air (and propane) can flow directly out of the refer's little "house" to the outside atmosphere.

I'm not certain that a propane furnace can let off carbon monoxide, but it is the appliance that I treat with more respect than any of the others, simply because it is a potentially dangerous machine that works while we sleep.

Certainly a properly-functioning one won't give off dangerous gas, and yet we tend to keep them well past their useful service life. If you had a 34-year-old furnace in your home, I'll bet you would be getting it professionally checked at least annually, or replacing it.

Quote:
What is a catalytic heater?
It's a propane heater that has no fan (usually) and does not use ductwork like your AS's furnace. It does not have an open flame, and uses a process that I don't really understand, but it seems to be popular with those who live in relatively warm climates who don't wish to replace their ailing furnaces.

Can you tell I don't trust them? And yet I can't say why. LOL!

Quote:
Good. That means by 2016 when gas is insane, I should have saved up enough money, and the price should be decent enough on alternative technology that I can actually do something about the problem.
Egg-zackly! I love your attitude, it's what's going to keep camping alive for many generations to come.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Quote:
It's important to read the background information. Some spray foams have HFC and PDBE; Icynene doesn't. I'm not aware of any outgassing problems. I'm not selling the stuff, nor am I a scientist, but we wouldn't have put it in our coach if we didn't think it was safe.

If I were an environmental purist, I'd live in a yurt. Because I'm an environmental pragmatist, I can tow our '67 Airstream with a fossil fuel powered vehicle, preferably our '66 Dodge.

The Airstream is a wonderful travel trailer, but it is environmentally suboptimal. Even with a composting toilet, solar power, cork floors, etc., it is big, rolling aluminum compromise. This is not to deter you, but simply a gentle nudge. Even the most environmentally sensitive Airstream on the planet will involve trade-offs you won't have to make with say, a straw bale house. It's just the nature of making a structure mobile.

As for your questions, carbon monoxide is gas created by combustion. Propane is colorless, odorless gas. Carbon monoxide is also a color, odorless gas created by the imperfect oxidation (think combustion) of carbon. If you burn propane (or any carbon fuel), carbon monoxide is created... which is why ventilation is important.

Catalytic heaters use a flameless catalytic reaction of (normally) propane and oxygen to generate heat.

As for windmills, meaningful power generation requires a great site, height and steady winds. Solar is a much better fit for RVs. Efficient wind energy is much better suited for a proper, static location.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I have done enough goofing around on the wheel well and bed frame. It's time to break out the Nature's Head and dry fit it so I can mock up the bathroom framing. When I have it out, I'll snap a picture.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
As promised:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NH front.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	103041   Click image for larger version

Name:	NH side view.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	103042  

Old 10-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Terry,

We have been full-timing in our 31' AS for 4 months now. There are 4 of us, Me, wife, two children. We've been pretty happy so far. We spend a lot of time and elbow grease working on leaks, plumbing and electrical. Nothing major to replace so far. We homeschool, too. My wife and I are not living off the grid. We live as conservatively as we can in an RV park. I have lived in Texas all my life and could not stand summer heat/humidity without air conditioning. We will convert our systems to greener ones as they need replacing. I reuse everything that I can.

Not sure where you are moving to, but we are in central Texas and not too far from San Antonio. Might get to say 'hi' sometime. Notice you haven't posted in awhile, how's the rebuild going?

On tow vehicles: a standard diesel truck, one of the older models, will burn biodiesel without modification. Some pretty standard mods can make it burn waste vegetable oil. There is plenty of info on the web about it. The newer trucks, like my '05 Suburban, will burn 80% ethanol. I have a cousin who used to have a solar 'still to make ethanol.

Safe travels,
Stephen
Old 10-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Memphis , TN
Green Streaming

My husband is a certified green builder... He suggests Isonyne insulation.. It's soybean based... Not sure of the outgassing- we are still researching... Bamboo is heavy- have you thought marmoleum? Hope this helps!!
pfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:29 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
alameda , California
tdturn2 - just found this thread. Great questions and comments. So are you on the road full-time and how is it going? We are on a similar path...
Veggie powered 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
greenrvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
alameda , California
Just checking in to see how other folks are coming along with their green remodels, additions. Ours is about done.

Veggie powered 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
greenrvlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Memphis , TN
Soo luv your remodel especially the cabinets... Can you share if you custom made them? We haven't started yet because I have to redo everything and due to the economy we arent there yet..... Although, I am still sourcing and planning what I'm going to do. What did you end up putting on the walls? Also bamboo flooring or vinyl? I know vinyl isn't green but it sure weighs less...can you share a picture of your bathroom? Thanks - so happy that you are almost there!! Congrats!
Pam
pfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #40

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
Love the pics! I have two '95 motorhomes (Classic 36 & Land Yacht) that I'll be trying to make as "green" as possible with possible biofuel conversion and so forth...

Also, a '67 Caravel that will be the "in-law" suite that we definitely want to make comfortable and green!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compost, green, non-toxic, solar, sustainable