Old 03-02-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Good Sam Tire & Wheel Protection follies...

I'm a member of the Good Sam Club for some reason--a good one I'm sure. As a result, I get occasional emails with a variety of offers. This time I got one for Good Sam's Tire and Wheel Protection insurance. I had just purchased a new set of tires for my 25'FB EB and was thinking about infant mortality.

Back when I was in the software business, rapidly growing companies I was involved with would buy dozens, even hundreds of computers at a time. Despite buying from the leading suppliers of the day, IBM, Compaq, HP, Dell, etc, some of these computers would simply fail to boot. Naturally, we referred to these as dead-on-arrival, or DOAs. There was also a significant number of computers that would fail within the first few hours of operation. The IT guys, a hilarious bunch, referred to this as infant-mortality.

I got away with 7 years and way north of 50K miles on the Michelins that came with my AS, new in 2011. I expect similar performance from my new tires (though I won't let it go so long again, not after reading the horror stories on related threads here on the Forum). But when I saw that email advertisement from Good Sam for Tire and Wheel protection, I thought again about infant mortality and decided that it might be a good idea to have a little extra insurance on tires that Michelin doesn't warranty when used on travel trailers. Who knows? Maybe they'll throw a tread in the first 50 miles. I decided to look into the Good Sam program.

The initial email offers "Tire and Wheel Protection Plan, Prices as low as $59.99!". That might be worth it, I thought, and clicked Buy Now to get more details.

The link took me to a Good Sam Roadside .com web page which looked a lot like the offer in the email, but now it read, "Tire and Wheel Protection Plan, Prices as low as $79.99!" Uh, huh. I was a marketing guy back in my high tech career so I was kind of expecting this. It actually made me grin. Now I'm reading a little closer and see some small print that says "Up to 5 years of coverage for All of your tires." (sic) And now I'm, uh oh. What's next?

Well, lower down on the page they get to the heart of the matter. There are different price points for Auto, Trailer/Towable RV and Motor Home. The one for $79.99 is for Autos. The one for Trailer and Towable RVs is $89.99--and the small type now says "/year when you buy for 5 years." Easily amused and glutton for punishment I click on the Buy Now button.

Guess what? If I decide to insure myself for tire infant mortality it's gonna cost me $179.99. Except guess what else? The insurance is for road hazards. If my tire failed as a result of some manufacturing defect, I'd be out of luck. And it looks to me that the insurance only pertains to the tires. If I blow a wheel well, I get no protection at all. Which was like, the whole point.

No hard feelings Good Sam. I'm sure you're offering a good product that gives many of your buyers full value in peace of mind. In my case, though, your marketers, despite some high quality misdirection and obfuscation didn't get me. ....... This time.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote