Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Glamping

Seems this is a term for glamorous camping. Not close to what I do. My wife calls it tramping, basic camping on a basic, not fancy trailer. No frills and not all of the comforts of home. Anyone else do it this way? Basic, no frills, camping either in a park or boondocking. We go to camp, not to impress.. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Seems this is a term for glamorous camping. Not close to what I do. My wife calls it tramping, basic camping on a basic, not fancy trailer. No frills and not all of the comforts of home. Anyone else do it this way? Basic, no frills, camping either in a park or boondocking. We go to camp, not to impress.. Jim
After 20+ years of "basic camping" in the Marines, I kind of like Glamping. All of the comforts of home.

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Since I go in an Interstate, I'd have to say it's not tramping— who can go tramping in a Mercedes? It's not really glamping, either— I've got most of the comforts of home, but I have to fold up and put away one comfort of home to unfold and use another.

If there was room to have a bed and a sofa at the same time, and a dishwasher (or even just a double sink), and a real oven instead of that hermaphrodite microwave/convection thingie, and enough counter space to set up a coffeemaker without folding down the lid of the stove first, and a separate toilet and shower instead of a wet bath, my Class B Interstate would be a Class A and then I really would be glamping.

I'm mini-glamping, maybe?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Understand. I just think some go overboard with what they take camping. If it is just like being in my house in another location, then I would just as soon stay home. I have had 5 AS, the last being a 25 foot Safari FB just too much fluff. My 64 Avion is a basic trailer. Any vintage AS could be the same. Jim
Old 04-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Mini glamping is fine! Interstate are a lot more basic than most of the new AS. I owned an Interstate and it really was not too bad, just a basic vehicle. Now the newer ones are getting carried away. Jim
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
If it is just like being in my house in another location, then I would just as soon stay home.
Even those who take everything with them at least get a different view out the front door from their Airstream, so there's some benefit to that camping style, too. To each his own, I guess. I've only been Airstreaming a couple of years, more off than on, so I'm not fit to judge anyone else's camping style. I'm not even sure I've got my own style quite nailed down.

But I do have to wonder about the people who go to a beautiful State park, get a prime lakefront campsite with a private boat dock, and then hole up inside their (non-Airstream Class A) RV the whole weekend watching satellite television— with their satellite dish set up in front of my RV because there was too much gorgeous tree cover to set it up in front of their own.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
To each their own. As long as they are out and enjoying themselves should be all that matters.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I agree, I was just trying to point out the extremes of trailer camping. Do what you enjoy the most. Jim
Old 04-03-2014, 12:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Camping is a state of mind

Camping is a state of mind, not defined by the accoutrement. From pup tent to Airstream, it's what you make of it.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our style of camping is definitely glamping.
We take our silver house with us to different scenic locations.
All the comforts of home - washer/dryer.
We 'll do laundry when we get home or go to the laundromat.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
" If it is just like being in my house in another location, then I would just as soon stay home."

if you owned a beach house in the prime season, would you rather stay at home? Nope. But I can see how you may prefer "basic camping"...

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I call mine, cottage on wheels. As a Sister on the Fly, Onemeaning of Glamping, is using a Vintage and bringing lots of props from that year and staging. Everyone goes trailer to trailer. Another definition of Glamping is perhaps a high end Class A or an Airstream with a beautiful interia, etc etc.

For me, i love my cottage, i make a real comfie bed, nice lawn chain, simple set of pots and pans and go. I love, love. Love camping, however it is defined. My goal is long long trips.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
Thats the way we do it. We stay in state park cause their clean and cheap, use their shower house and privy most of the time and eat out at the VFW.

Gotta know how to have a good time on 5 bucks!
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I don't even like the word glamping , but then we prefer lesser used sites and don't mind carrying a jug of water or whatever to enjoy them.
We are just coming off 48 days with out hook ups and are now in a 'Resort" park in the keys for a rally. Good rally but I wouldn't stay here for the season if it was free.( believe me, it's not) The place has all the amenities but if you sneeze 3 people say gusundhiet (sp)
I wouldn't discourage anyone from the glamping lifestyle because then the places we want to be will be less crowded.
One of the main messages I get when we are on the road for a couple months is I sure have a lot of stuff at home i don't need.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Having cut my camping teeth backpacking, then in later years moved to a family sized tent and a car, just having an travel trailer is Glamping to me. That it's a luxurious Airstream just makes it all the more Glampier. It doesn't matter where we stop the wheels, either, it's all Glamping.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Call it whatever you want tramping, roughing it, tent camping. Those days are over for me. Comfort is number one these days. I have made my 49 year old Bambi II comfortable for me. Not sure if it is actual Glamping but it works for me until I can move up to a bit larger Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Glamping is a difficult description for what, perhaps glamorous camping.

We have been lifelong campers. Maybe 20 years ago we picked up a book titled "Roughing It Elegantly". I like that better. It is for canoe campers but has ideas that many new Airstreamers, especially with small models, may find comfort with. We still like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Roughing-It-El.../dp/0961822708

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Your 49 year old AS is a tramper in my definition, just as my 50 year old Avion is. Basic factory equipment. Tramping is nit meant to be a demeaning term. Jim
Old 04-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Your 49 year old AS is a tramper in my definition, just as my 50 year old Avion is. Basic factory equipment. Tramping is nit meant to be a demeaning term. Jim

"Tramper" I do not think so. You obviously have not seen my Bambi.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Do not get too mixed up with terminology. I meant no disrespect to anyone or their camping style. Just trying to get a conversation going! Maybe tramping offends too many, how about basic, no frills trailer camping. No matter how it is done and in what, have fun! Jim