Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
To each their own--when you point a finger you have three pointing back at yourself--just enjoy.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
If I am preparing for a kayak camping trip, I am looking at about 70-80 pounds of gear. If I am planning on hiking camping, cut that weight in half to about 40 pounds. So when we load up the Airstream with whatever our stuff weighs (guessing 1,000 pounds all in), I'd half to call that glamping. Or would it be glaveling (glamour traveling). Whatever - I like them all, they are all different, and hard to really compare.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynavy View Post
Thats the way we do it. We stay in state park cause their clean and cheap, use their shower house and privy most of the time and eat out at the VFW.

Gotta know how to have a good time on 5 bucks!
I thought I was a cheap skate, but what is with the 5 bucks? Must be 1959. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I have no idea why 1959 is like that. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Our 2012 FC is a small house on wheels. It has two TVs and a microwave. It has a stereo with a subwoofer, a standup shower, queen bed, oven and huge refrigerator, furnace, and air conditioner. It makes all the hot water one could want. Under any conceivable definition, is this "camping?"

We have been campers in the past. A backpacking tent, alcohol burner, water pump/filter, sleeping bag, therm-a-rest and all the back aches you can tolerate. That's what I call "camping." We had fun doing it in our youth.

What we do now, I think, is "traveling." What I enjoy about it, is the seeing of new things, the meeting of new people, the having of new experiences. Before we had the AS, we used $89 motels (could not afford the nice $200 ones), and had to put our human companions (dogs) in a kennel where they could imagine we were never coming back for them! Ugh! Just the thought of another Motel 6 makes me want to vomit.

For us, the AS has made travel so much more convenient, so much more healthy, so much more family-like because we can bring our dog. The term "glamping" is I think just a humorous way to describe being in a campground with really ANY travel trailer. We often are sitting at the dinette having coffee at 6am and watch the tent campers across the way crawling out of the cold tents trying to revive last night's fire, fumbling with making some coffee! "Look at those glampers over there, Mary. I bet they're having waffles!" Yup. With strawberries and cream!

I can totally understand people preferring simpler trailers with fewer comforts and bells and whistles. There can be some real benefits of simplicity. It's just different styles people have. I really like six-way power seats in my car, and I like the two TVs in my AS.

Travel on!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Power seats! My truck has no power seats, no power door locks, or no power windows. No cruise either. Basic, just like my trailer. To each his own. Do have AC. Go camping! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I hope I did not hijack my own thread? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
For us, the AS has made travel so much more convenient, so much more healthy, so much more family-like because we can bring our dog. The term "glamping" is I think just a humorous way to describe being in a campground with really ANY travel trailer. We often are sitting at the dinette having coffee at 6am and watch the tent campers across the way crawling out of the cold tents trying to revive last night's fire, fumbling with making some coffee! "Look at those glampers over there, Mary. I bet they're having waffles!" Yup. With strawberries and cream!
Ha ha! Watching the campers (as opposed to us Glampers) is a guilty pleasure but one I have to admit to enjoying on many occasions. It's a bit cruel but a few years back that was me, so I'm qualified to gloat just a little bit

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
This is a very funny thread!

The reason we moved to a travel trailer (the first was a Fleetwood) was largely because I was sick of setting up a tent, typically in the rain and dark on a Friday night with my wife and kids in the car chomping to get into the tent. Oh, the pain! So in some sick perverted way enjoy seeing tent campers crawling out of their tents in the rain... I am not proud of it, but it is what it is!
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Funny this thread is up, just yesterday and neighbor and fellow AS'er asked if my wife was a glamper, or possibly a wannabe. I asked her if she considered herself as one, and she adamantly denied it and seemed rather offended that I would even ask her such nonsense.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Ha ha! Watching the campers (as opposed to us Glampers) is a guilty pleasure but one I have to admit to enjoying on many occasions. It's a bit cruel but a few years back that was me, so I'm qualified to gloat just a little bit

That was my reaction to seeing even the most "basic" airstream trailers....I kinda dont much care for using the term "basic" for almost any airstream (although I get your meaning Jim) - even the most basic units I have seen tend to be so darn "cute" and have the basic amenities of a "home"....often when people discuss RV camping...many dont find it truly to be "camping" at all....they imagine the extreme of camping in a sleeping bag under the stars, not even a tent perhaps....they here is this dude with some "basic" airstream that can sleep in there protected from rain, hooks up to electricity, gas, has lights inside, and even a bathroom/shower....they are glamping (based on the subjective interpretation of this hypothetical person).

It just seems to me that the distinction of "glamping" as opposed to "very basic airstream trailer camping" is not too far off in the much more broad continuum of "camping in general"....and the distinctions between "a very basic fully functional airstream" and "an airstream will all sorts of frills" is mostly fairly cosmetic?

I had been using the term "glamping" when talking to average people now when I talked about airstream camping in general because often these folks view the notion of camping within a protectled little cottage on wheels of any type to be a very luxurious way of camping.

I guess I just find all these airstreams so freaking awesome that I am resistant to think of any of them as basic or no frills...but I realize I am being semantic here

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #32
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
My first encounter with rvs back in '75, I was rolling down Hwy 1 in Big Sur on a R90/6. Stopped in a campground for the nite, next morning @ 6:am, the next door moho fired up the generator for the farm report. Later while in the bathrooms I overheard some guy complaining about poor tv reception while I was shaving.
I wasn't too impressed with the rv style of roughing it.
Now I full time, it's just home to me.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #33
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Any time we're camping and not sleeping on the ground in a tent or less, we're glamping. We love to have fun with the term and laugh plenty every time we apply it to ourselves, especially if it's over a nice glass of wine while relaxing outside our RV. We've done the other kind of camping many times over the years and enjoyed that too. This is just another way we have fun.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I thought we were pretty hot stuff with our Airstream when a new Prevost pulled in with a huge trailer. The thing leveled itself, the climate control kicked in, they got out, pulled out the two Harley's, then backed out the Corvette roadster (all color-coordinated) and went touring the countryside.

I think we're still camping.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I thought we were pretty hot stuff with our Airstream when a new Prevost pulled in with a huge trailer. The thing leveled itself, the climate control kicked in, they got out, pulled out the two Harley's, then backed out the Corvette roadster (all color-coordinated) and went touring the countryside.

I think we're still camping.
Yes, it's all relative

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
But his trailer has all the latest equipment like the new trailers...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #37
EnglishGirl

2000 31' Excella
Milton , Ontario
Love this thread too funny. I most definitely refer to traveling with our airstream glamping. A lovely comfy bed, 1000 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets and a duck down duvet, freshly ground coffee in the mornings and a chilled martini at sundown yes glamping at its best!
Englishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The New England Unit is dedicating a weekend to the concept :-)

http://newengland.wbcci.net/calendar1/

If its not in a tent on a bedroll, it's glamping. :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:12 PM   #39
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Glamping: satisfying any city slicker seeking a little refuge in nature—without foregoing any of life’s luxuries! Yeah, I glamp!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Wife wondered: Can you be a glamper and have a composting toilet?
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote