Old 04-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Having cut my camping teeth backpacking, then in later years moved to a family sized tent and a car, just having an travel trailer is Glamping to me. That it's a luxurious Airstream just makes it all the more Glampier. It doesn't matter where we stop the wheels, either, it's all Glamping.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Call it whatever you want tramping, roughing it, tent camping. Those days are over for me. Comfort is number one these days. I have made my 49 year old Bambi II comfortable for me. Not sure if it is actual Glamping but it works for me until I can move up to a bit larger Airstream.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Glamping is a difficult description for what, perhaps glamorous camping.

We have been lifelong campers. Maybe 20 years ago we picked up a book titled "Roughing It Elegantly". I like that better. It is for canoe campers but has ideas that many new Airstreamers, especially with small models, may find comfort with. We still like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Roughing-It-El.../dp/0961822708

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Your 49 year old AS is a tramper in my definition, just as my 50 year old Avion is. Basic factory equipment. Tramping is nit meant to be a demeaning term. Jim
Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Your 49 year old AS is a tramper in my definition, just as my 50 year old Avion is. Basic factory equipment. Tramping is nit meant to be a demeaning term. Jim

"Tramper" I do not think so. You obviously have not seen my Bambi.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Do not get too mixed up with terminology. I meant no disrespect to anyone or their camping style. Just trying to get a conversation going! Maybe tramping offends too many, how about basic, no frills trailer camping. No matter how it is done and in what, have fun! Jim
Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
To each their own--when you point a finger you have three pointing back at yourself--just enjoy.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
If I am preparing for a kayak camping trip, I am looking at about 70-80 pounds of gear. If I am planning on hiking camping, cut that weight in half to about 40 pounds. So when we load up the Airstream with whatever our stuff weighs (guessing 1,000 pounds all in), I'd half to call that glamping. Or would it be glaveling (glamour traveling). Whatever - I like them all, they are all different, and hard to really compare.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynavy View Post
Thats the way we do it. We stay in state park cause their clean and cheap, use their shower house and privy most of the time and eat out at the VFW.

Gotta know how to have a good time on 5 bucks!
I thought I was a cheap skate, but what is with the 5 bucks? Must be 1959. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
I have no idea why 1959 is like that. Sal
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Our 2012 FC is a small house on wheels. It has two TVs and a microwave. It has a stereo with a subwoofer, a standup shower, queen bed, oven and huge refrigerator, furnace, and air conditioner. It makes all the hot water one could want. Under any conceivable definition, is this "camping?"

We have been campers in the past. A backpacking tent, alcohol burner, water pump/filter, sleeping bag, therm-a-rest and all the back aches you can tolerate. That's what I call "camping." We had fun doing it in our youth.

What we do now, I think, is "traveling." What I enjoy about it, is the seeing of new things, the meeting of new people, the having of new experiences. Before we had the AS, we used $89 motels (could not afford the nice $200 ones), and had to put our human companions (dogs) in a kennel where they could imagine we were never coming back for them! Ugh! Just the thought of another Motel 6 makes me want to vomit.

For us, the AS has made travel so much more convenient, so much more healthy, so much more family-like because we can bring our dog. The term "glamping" is I think just a humorous way to describe being in a campground with really ANY travel trailer. We often are sitting at the dinette having coffee at 6am and watch the tent campers across the way crawling out of the cold tents trying to revive last night's fire, fumbling with making some coffee! "Look at those glampers over there, Mary. I bet they're having waffles!" Yup. With strawberries and cream!

I can totally understand people preferring simpler trailers with fewer comforts and bells and whistles. There can be some real benefits of simplicity. It's just different styles people have. I really like six-way power seats in my car, and I like the two TVs in my AS.

Travel on!
Old 04-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Power seats! My truck has no power seats, no power door locks, or no power windows. No cruise either. Basic, just like my trailer. To each his own. Do have AC. Go camping! Jim
Old 04-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I hope I did not hijack my own thread? Jim
Old 04-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
For us, the AS has made travel so much more convenient, so much more healthy, so much more family-like because we can bring our dog. The term "glamping" is I think just a humorous way to describe being in a campground with really ANY travel trailer. We often are sitting at the dinette having coffee at 6am and watch the tent campers across the way crawling out of the cold tents trying to revive last night's fire, fumbling with making some coffee! "Look at those glampers over there, Mary. I bet they're having waffles!" Yup. With strawberries and cream!
Ha ha! Watching the campers (as opposed to us Glampers) is a guilty pleasure but one I have to admit to enjoying on many occasions. It's a bit cruel but a few years back that was me, so I'm qualified to gloat just a little bit

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote