Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
TWH
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Getting Ready-1st Timer

Looks like we will be on the road before long.....trying to sort out what we need to have in the truck & trailer in terms of tools, etc......Toyota Tundra w/topper, Honda 2000 Gen (2) Flying Cloud 25' Front Bedroom Twin are the package.....Looking for referral for what we should have with us for living/camping(dry & hookups) etc.....Will be traveling to and from Alaska and touring lower 48....we know space is a premium but want to have what we need to take care of the basics....Interested in propane BBQ recommendations, campground chairs, tools, leveling on site....etc...and last but not least internet/TV connections......Thanks....You all have been great in helping us make the decision on the Airstream model....Anxious to get out of the Alaska cold and thaw up on the road before long.......will be picking up the trailer in the lower 48.........
TWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
I, too, will appreciate any assistance you get with your request as my new 2014 30ftFC just arrived and after a successful delivery we will head as well.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I'd like to know what savvy AS members do about living in a Faraday cage and how they get wireless to work. Do you sit near a window? Is there a device that you can put on the outside that will capture the signal and repeat it inside the trailer?

Rich
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
We have a 4G wifi device thru AT&T.. where ever my phone works, this works...
Old 02-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIR1 View Post
We have a 4G wifi device thru AT&T.. where ever my phone works, this works...
It works inside the AS? That would be great, I have a USB wifi device for the laptop but I didn't know if it would work inside the AS with all the metal around it.

Thanks
Rich
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We use our Verizon smartphones to create a hotspot in the Airstream. We run an active internet business from the road, and this internet connection system has worked very well for us for the past eight years. We are on the road in our Airstream about half thew time. If our phones have a signal, we have the internet. We sometimes use a Wilson cell phone range extender to get a signal.

As far a leveling the Airstream on a campsite, we use Lynx Levelers for the side-to-side leveling. They are light and easy to carry. The Airstream's tongue jack handles the front-to-back leveling.

We use a 18 DeWalt rechargeable drill/driver to handle the stabilizers. It also handles the weight distribution bars on the Hensley. We also use these same batteries on our little DeWalt vacuum and our work light.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
a few essentials?

In Alaska? I wouldn't even presume to advise you what you'll need once you pull the trailer north on the AlCan highway... But since you're picking it up in the lower 48, here's my essential list.

Toilet paper
tooth brushes and paste
SOME bottled water - some tap water in bottles
sooner or later you'll want to flush and your water tank will be empty - I once faced a crisis that could only be solved by flushing with "wine in a box" - and no - I didn't pass it through my kidneys first. A 2 liter bottle of ordinary tap water resides in my bath cabinet at all times. I use bottled water to cook with and to drink. Most campground water is safe, but a lot have high iron content and that makes horrid tasting tea. I've also boondocked and run out of water on the last day. Bottled water that's stored inside is tepid and can be used in a pinch as is for a sponge bath. Of course if you still have propane it's nicer warm.
canned soup-Progresso is my choice, not bad even cold - provides hydration and nutrition in a pinch
duct tape & Aluminum tape
lock tite & WD-40
bear repellant & wasp spray - both very effective on hostile humans too.
flares or flashers
first aid kit - replace every 2 years
needles and thread (I carry 2 sewing machines, but that's mega-overkill)
Waxed dental floss (good for a quick repair to an awning)
rawhide gloves (when you're trying to sew that effen awning by hand!)
paper maps - still a great adjunct to GPS
cell phone - get GREAT coverage, not cheapest
Plastic leveling blocks, yellow or orange - they weigh less than wood, but will break or wear out like wood
AirForums - people who will rescue you when the fertilizer impacts the ventilator!

Seriously - buy what you need when you need it or you'll buy way too many things that you use once every 5 years.

THOUGHTFULNESS - what can you buy that has more than one function? That should always be the best test. I have a large box end wrench that has been used to "adjust" the spare tire carrier up from a 15 inch to a 16 inch wheel, lift the weight bars on a Reese Dual Cam (if you have a bad back it's FAR better than the standard pipe because you push horizontally instead of lifting), drive tent stakes, kill a rabid small animal (no not my ex-husband), as well as tightening down big nuts (again, not the ex).

Paula
Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
bear repellant & wasp spray - both very effective on hostile humans too.f
Did you test this?
T1NCAN is offline   Reply With Quote