Old 07-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
WHY DOES IT MATTER? The how to articles on this site are wonderful. I have learned so much from them but I really get tired of all this bashing of everybody and everything that is not airstream. I have ridden harleys my whole life and their are a lot of the airstream community that are just like the wanna be bikers. If you are not riding a harley they look down their noses at them. Some people cant afford an airstream or they don,t want to constantly work on their trailer and instead of letting them enjoy their trailer a lot of you act like hoity toity snobs. I will continue to look at the articles to learn from the unbelievable amount of knowledge on here.I just get so tired of reading a lot of the BS on here. If I wanted a social media site I would join face book and tell everybody what I was doing every 5 min. I know this will ruffle some feathers. TUFF LUCK. Enjoy your trailer and get a life.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I don't think good taste is snobbery, I like the look of our Airstream, not so the graphics of others.

They are eye catching in the showroom and rv show, but when you set them in a natural landscape they are completely out of context.

I like the Airstream appearance because it doesn't try to be something it isn't. It's aluminum and it looks aluminum, the rivets remind you. The shape looks like a travel trailer, smooth and rounded to go through the air. It's comforting to look at and never goes out of style.

doug k

Old 07-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I like the Airstream appearance because it doesn't try to be something it isn't.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. An Airstream is what it is. Take it or leave it, like it or lump it. It doesn't need, nor want, meaningless decoration to set it apart from others.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
How is an airstream more natural appearing in nature?

White box vs aluminum can.....both very natural indeed

Ps - airstreams r purdy ......the box trailers are functional and I'm happy folks buy them and have a blast with their families - what is more important?

I do like a few "other brands" out there as well - I kinda liked that evergreen element - that vantage brand had some nifty looking ones.

I would happily pull a box trailer of some type to enjoy with the fam - my wife however would only allow an airstream in the backyard as a backyard apartment - call her a snob - but a box trailer in the backyard she would not tolerate - she would camp in it fine - but would not want it in back yard....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
It's a cultural thing I know, but I can't get past anyone wanting the word "Prowler" emblazoned on their RV - it sounds positively criminal to me!
I have the same problem with that name! It makes me wonder if for those buyers desiring more comfort and convenience they offer an upgraded model called the "Armed Robber", or a top-of-the-line model called the "Homicidal Maniac".
Old 07-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Greer , South Carolina
Not having all the swoopy stickers is one thing that drew me to my Vantage. In the beginning of their run, it was an advertised "feature".

But as sales were tanking, they actually added a sticker "graphics" package. It was just odd on something you were used to seeing presented as a solid color.

I would have just offered a palette of other solid colors. One fifth wheel - Trinity - comes in solid painted colors and they have a two-tone that fades from one color to another which is kinda cool.

In the SOB's, the stickers are on the way out in the better brands. People want full body paint, swoops and swirls and all. It's actually alot of craftsmanship to create a clear-coated multicolor paint scheme like that. But it definately is "hey, look at me! I got alot of money!"
Old 07-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale
WHY DOES IT MATTER? ...(snip)...Enjoy your trailer and get a life.
Well said panheaddale. It's fascinating human behavior and from time to time it seems we all indulge. Even among AS owners, you could replace the word "trailer" above with the words hitch, tires, tow vehicle (if needed), awning, camp chairs, camp fire, composting toilet, black tank, CB radio, dog, cat, etc....

My in-laws have a Montana 5th wheel with swoopy graphics. They love it. It's just not my thing. They like our Airstream but still say someday we may want to trade up for something like theirs. It is what it is. I'm happy with my (fill in the blank) and hope others are with theirs.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by field & stream View Post
I have the same problem with that name! It makes me wonder if for those buyers desiring more comfort and convenience they offer an upgraded model called the "Armed Robber", or a top-of-the-line model called the "Homicidal Maniac".
I just spilled my coffee laughing at that!

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by panheaddale View Post
WHY DOES IT MATTER? The how to articles on this site are wonderful. I have learned so much from them but I really get tired of all this bashing of everybody and everything that is not airstream. I have ridden harleys my whole life and their are a lot of the airstream community that are just like the wanna be bikers. If you are not riding a harley they look down their noses at them. Some people cant afford an airstream or they don,t want to constantly work on their trailer and instead of letting them enjoy their trailer a lot of you act like hoity toity snobs. I will continue to look at the articles to learn from the unbelievable amount of knowledge on here.I just get so tired of reading a lot of the BS on here. If I wanted a social media site I would join face book and tell everybody what I was doing every 5 min. I know this will ruffle some feathers. TUFF LUCK. Enjoy your trailer and get a life.
You're entitled to your opinion, we to ours. That's life.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I agree that a big box trailer has to have something to brighten up its large, expansive walls; plain white wouldn't work at all. I just get a bit fazed by the graphics that the manufacturers do use - galloping horses, mountains and the like.

I don't think many customers go to the RV factory and say "How about you putting a huge, red, galloping horse on the side of my trailer?" so I don't know who decides on these things. Maybe there's a market for having your own custom graphics on the trailer before it leaves the factory?

I was fortunate enough to see one of the "Rockwell" Airstreams and whilst I know that they're much sought after, the large graphic on the sides didn't do it for me.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
You're entitled to your opinion, we to ours. That's life.
NEVER SAID YOU WERE NOT ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION. My point was everybody just thinks they are better than people that have SOB. I pull SOB for a living. I choose to own an airstream and I don't have an attitude that my airstream is better than somebody else that has an SOB. Truth be told many of the new SOB pull as good as any airstream I have pulled. I am just so over all this BS and snobbery that because you don't own an airstream then you shouldn't own any trailer.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
(It's actually alot of craftsmanship to create a clear-coated multicolor paint scheme like that. But it definately is "hey, look at me! I got alot of money!") Reality is most of those SOB cost less than half of the cost of a new airstrem. If you knew the amount of mark up on those things it would blow your mind. I pulled one to a dealer in ND that cost was 21000 and he had them on the lot for sale for 42500 and was selling them because of the oil boom out there.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Where do folks say they are better than folks with non-as brands?

Seems like you are casting with a wide net as well

I can agree with the idea that if AS owners think very lowly of other people it is by definition "snobbery" - but I think you are confusing brand personal preference with something worse?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Airstream

This is not an SOB with " horrible graphics plastered all over", it's my Airstream 396 XL Diesel Pusher Motor Home. Looks great in my opinion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-side view.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	190306