Old 02-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Gap in backsplash

Hello
We have a 2013 30' trailer, and I'm hoping to get your opinion on this.

We have a "gap between the backsplash and the wall of the trailer in the kitchen behind the kitchen sink.

Here are a couple of pictures of this gap.

http://yolanda.smugmug.com/Other/Air...0/L/gap1-L.jpg

http://yolanda.smugmug.com/Other/Air...0/L/gap2-L.jpg

Basically, I'm hoping to find out if you have a similar problem in your trailer. And how did you "fix" it. What about caulking or sealant? Any other solutions?

Just as an FYI - I contacted Airstream and it is not covered under warranty. However, they have offered to authorize the dealer to apply a bead of clear sealant along the back edge. Before accepting their offer, I thought it would be a good idea to see what you all think.

Is there a better solution to this problem? Or is it even a problem?

Thanks for your input.

Two (2) Honda EU2000i Generators
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Firedog1

2015 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
gap in backsplash

Here is a suggestion, find someone at from a body shop that has a set of suction cups, they use them all the time to pull dents. attach couple of suction cups to the backsplash, fill the gap with clear silicone sealant and pull (gently) the backsplash out until flush with corian counter,then brace it overnight until sealant hardens. Good Luck.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I vote for 'not a problem'. In a vehicle that moves, it makes some sense for there to be that gap to allow free movement between the counter top and the trailer shell. If you decide to run a bead of sealant, I'd not use silicon as that can etch the aluminum.
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't believe it is a problem. Sealer will just pull apart and look bad. There must be the ability for the wall to move independently from the counter.

Sent from my XT907 using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
Had a problem gap in my 30' Classic behind the sink. There was a screw that held the counter top in place that had worked loose. It was a constant problem re-tightening as it was not into a structural member only the skin. Solution was a moly rivet that expands like an Olympic. Problem has not returned in 5 years. Check to see if the problem may be a screw that worked loose.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback!

Before I contacted Airstream, I took a look at a couple of other trailers on the dealer's lot, trailers which had the same backsplash. None of them had the gap. They all looked pretty tight against the wall. I guess I just wanted mine to be the same.

I feel like it will be very easy for water to splash into the gap. I'll have to remember to cover it up each time I use the sink.

I appreciate all your suggestions. Bigdaddy - I'll check the screw, see if maybe that's the problem.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Keep in mind that the metal will expand and contract so those trailers that you saw with no gap may, in fact, now have them. When temperatures warm (or cool) you may fine the gap disappears. Remember, theses things move constantly (even when not being towed) and wherever materials join there is going to be the potential for seeing evidence of theta movement (expansion and contraction).
Canada
AIR #11529
http://northvancouvermodern.blogspot.com/
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Silicone can be a nasty material if you ever want to remove it from a place like that, nearly impossible. And like others said, there will most probably be continued movement of that junction that will cause silicone to separate and not in a pretty way.

Look at the Flying Cloud models. They use an aluminum strip in that junction to close the gap somewhat like flashing. Part of the T-profile strip rests on the counter edge but allows the counter to move under it. Maybe Airstream can provide a section of this material as a fix.

I sort of understand why they do not warranty this because there really isn't a failure, but a poor fit of parts. They may consider crud falling behind the counter okay but I wouldn't like it. Have you talked to Airstream Customer Service; maybe they will authorize something better than silicone if you suggest it.
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thank you Doug. That's great advice about the Flying Cloud. I'll explore that option.