Old 02-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Mesa , Arizona
I juut installed a front receiver on my 2500 Silverado. This is better than the back of an AS

Old 02-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #16
HandyGuy

Vancouver , British Columbia
Front bike racks: Lessons learned...

I have had two front receivers mounted previously on my '96 Dodge 2500 and '04 Dodge 3500 for transporting up to 4 bikes.

I too encountered some distraction from constant bike movement. To solve this I used to take a wooden stick (or tapered clothes pin) and drive it into the space between the bike rack and hitch mount. Sometimes these temporary "fixes" would fall out and need to be redone. Never had the unit jam and not be able to remove it though.

When I installed the 2nd hitch on the newer vehicle, I spoke to the welding shop staff about this problem. Their suggestion was to drill a single 5/8 hole, tack weld a "nut" on the outside of it and add a matching bolt (3/4" long) for tightening. This acted as a "locking" mechanism. This was done just forward of the normal rack pin hole. It worked great to stop the bouncing bikes. You still get some wiggle on the bigger bumps but overall the movement is much more subdued and no longer acts as much of a distraction.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2008 23' International
Currently Looking...
Denver , Iowa
Send a message via AIM to hahnstead
I use a front hitch receiver to carry two bikes and have no problem driving this way. I remove the seats from both bikes and set the bikes on the rack so that the handlebars of both are on the passenger side. Much better than carrying the bikes on the back of your Airstream.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:36 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
We have a front hitch and use a bike rack also. Here are some pics. The out the window pic is with our older F250 but our newer one has a higher hood so you see less of the bikes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-22_1633.png
Views:	94
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	232924   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-22_1634.png
Views:	91
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	232925  

Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
we went a different way with out bike rack. We bought an adjustable resin bike rack from REI it is mady by Thule. I can send a picture over the weekend but I do not have one on my computer. We mount it on the pick up bed tail gate. The bottom rests on the bumper, for us the top arms rest on the cover. It is adjustable enough to work with a canopy of you have one. Once the bikes are loaded we tilt the arms up a couple of degrees and there is no risk of the tires coming into contact with the any part of the hitch mechanism and we can not turn tight enough to risk contact with the body of the AS. an added benefit is that we can run a bike lock cable through the bikes and rack and around the tail gate to secure them if we are away from the TT.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Front Bike Rack

I need to post on the negative side of the front bumper mount.

I have front mounts on both the F 250 and the Excursion.

I have found that the bikes interfered with the street vision on both vehicles. I posed the question to myself that if an officer of the law stopped me could I convince him that my vision was not obscured. I honestly could not justify taking a chance.

Maybe the OP could borrow one for a test ride with a bike on the front of his tow vehicle to determine how much his front vision would be obscured with the bike(s) mounted on the front.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Same Issue

Thought I might have the same issue with the headlights being obstructed by pieces parts of bikes and reverted to using my driving lights and they worked well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
I need to post on the negative side of the front bumper mount.

I have front mounts on both the F 250 and the Excursion.

I have found that the bikes interfered with the street vision on both vehicles. I posed the question to myself that if an officer of the law stopped me could I convince him that my vision was not obscured. I honestly could not justify taking a chance.

Maybe the OP could borrow one for a test ride with a bike on the front of his tow vehicle to determine how much his front vision would be obscured with the bike(s) mounted on the front.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:36 PM   #22
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Negative on the front bike mount. Although it is really handy to have the bikes with the tow vehicle, a really good mount in side the Airstream is the safest way to carry the bikes. I carry mine on the roof but only when I am going a short distance in order to use the bike. The rest of the time it is inside. Road salt, gravel, bugs, and miscellaneous garbage will all find their way into the drive train. If it's a cheap bike, maybe it doesn't matter. If it's an expensive carbon fibre road bike, it matters a lot. At least to me. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 02-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Deland , Florida
front bike rack

I have a Reese Hitch for the front of my tundra-have used it on a 2009 Tundra and a 2014 Tundra-works great-does not impair my vision-I secure both bikes with straps and bungee cords for added strength-good luck-better than a back mount
Old 02-25-2015, 10:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
I am in favor of a front mounted rack also. I have one on my MH. The only distraction I had was the bikes front wheel spinning. The wind would push on the reflector like a windmill and make it spin. A short bungi cord fixed that. Here's a link to my photos.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote