Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Bed and Bath considerations

Quote:
WOW. What a wealth of info. It is so helpful to get eveyone's perspective because we have been all over the map with our own ideas trying to figure it out.
Oh, and there is more to the differences too. Add the differences in the bedroom/bathroom over the years (not just new models) and even more information is available! I don't full-time but I have found that noise is a factor to consider in campgrounds. For that reason I prefer a rear bedroom. The storage access clear of the LP tanks is critical too. View? Go outside. Speaking on wishful floorpans, I believe a model with a pano on front with rear bedroom center window lined walls on twin beds bedroom only would be an ideal setup. The windows on both ends are giant heat radiators that I am convinced are why so many complain about their AC not cooling and wanting a big AC or two units for a 25" trailer.

Closely related too is the bathroom as it impacts the bedroom in many model layouts. I realize the advantage the 27 and 30' hall-utilizing baths provide and am working on a fix for mine. I prefer an all-in one bathroom as on the 26 and the 28 Land Yacht or the hall/bath combo of the 27' FC and 30' Classic (perhaps other models too with dual privacy screens). They provide a nice area for doing your business without impacting the bedroom or only utilizing only one side of the trailer. IMO the current 25' needs to reverse the location of the commode to align the door with the shower somehow to link the two and utilize the hall as in the models I mentioned. That way you have the bathroom/hall as one unit and a nicer space to move in.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Rod, on our 25 Rear Bed thee is two folding screens, on at the bedroom entrance and one next to the kitchen range. When these screens are pulled the separate shower and sink/toilet are linked as one large bathroom. That section of the hallway becomes part of it.

However, on our 25RB I reversed the bath door by turning it upside down and remounting the hinge so it opens toward the bedroom, not the living room. For her and I we just open the bath door, open her closet door (a handy place to drape your dry towel over while showering) and the same linked bathroom effect is achieved, and open to the bedroom for dressing.

We have a nice large sink/toilet area with a window of its own, but do appreciate how the hallway and shower can easily and privately be added to the space making a very spacious bath unit.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:00 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bemus Point , New York
Front or rear bed

We have a 25' FB 2007 Safari, and love it! The expansive rear window above the dinette provides wonderful views at back-in sites at campgrounds that have views. We can't imagine looking out over the truck and the campground road.
jetjocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Sometimes you're backed into a campsite where the view is a fifth wheel backed in from the other side, watching them watching you.

We like our Front Living Room, never a bad view.

Old 05-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We started with a 2013 25FB International Serenity with queen bed sight unseen. On first trip I hated the cross frame bed with a passion. The storage access was from the side, so the items that moved to the far side were no longer accessible using my short arms. The twin beds were NOT a standard option on the International models at that time. Twin beds would have made all the difference to us.

We traded for the 2014 31' Classic with twin beds. Later we also acquired the 2015 23D. It has a challenging bed, but at least I can access the storage and don't hit my head when I sit up.

We now prefer the rear bed models with the front doors.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB International
Gunnison , Colorado
We just got our 25FB 2011 International CCD two months ago. We love the rear dinette view and the the rear entry hasn't really been a problem. It just depends on time spent indoors or outside and what you enjoy.
gunnyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:44 PM   #27
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Front Bed or Rear Bed

Another example of one of our favorite forum threads.

We love our 27FB Queen bed model, with the following caveat: The under-bed storage door is in the front of the trailer behind the propane tanks. It's been a tough battle to get that door to stop leaking water into the trailer while being towed under rainy conditions. Multiple trips to the dealer, multiple attempts at getting a tighter seal. It's good enough now, though still not as tight a seal as we think it should be.

That said, here's an example of the payoff:

http://www.casarocinante.com/Travel/...rk/i-2pHVpTR/A

And another:

http://www.casarocinante.com/Travel/...OA/i-7RJT2cC/A

The only downside so far of the "rear entry" is that folks visiting us in the rain have to dodge the waterfall coming off the front of our slanted Zip Dee awning to get to our door.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
When you get the ideal campsite the 25fb rear living area is the best feature.

Kelvin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Window Pano.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	262163  
Old 05-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
It's a matter of opinion & personal preference. We decided on rear twin bed option. The twins expanded the floor space front to back & more cabinets overhead. In the rear bed option the bath has a window but slightly smaller lounge area & that worked for us. Think about that bath window as it opens up that little room making it much less confining when shaving or just washing your hands.
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:13 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
St. Thomas , Ontario
Just a question about both the 25FB Twin and 25RB Twin, why aren't the windows over the beds symmetrical from one side to the next. Is it because the trailers are set up the queen beds?
with 3.5L EcoBoost
crunch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, we have the rear bed and we are very happy with it. I don't think one is any better than the other. Just different. The best things that you will see and do are not from inside of the trailer.

Hi, in response to some of the comments and because my trailer is a 2005 model. Mine came with a stove top, an oven, and a micro-wave; Most trailers give you two of the three. Mine has one complete bathroom with shower, sink, and toilet all in the same room. My trailer has a vented refrigerator, so no noisy fan. Things change yearly so just saying front or rear bedroom can be different year to year. Being close to my wife is more important than an isle down the middle for us. Maybe in 20 years, when I turn 90, I might think about twin beds.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I went back and forth between rear bed (Classic) and front bed (Pendleton) for quite a while. As a full timer, I had to really weigh the pro's and con's.

The best list that I could come up with for my situation:

Front bed/rear door Pendleton:

1. Rear hatch/dinette for the gorgeous views was paramount.
2. Although, rear door typically doesn't allow you to back in as far as front door and stay off the dirt.
3. You look sideways at the TV unless you lower dinette and make another sitting area. Not very practical.
4. Pendleton 27 FB front bed only. Wasted space having two walk ways on either side of bed.
5. Only exterior storage compartment was by hitch, behind LP tanks and not very practical.

Rear bed/front door Classic:

1. Rear bed may allow for quieter sleeping at (most) parking spots.
2. Storage! Twin allows for three rear exterior compartments and four more interior cabinets in bedroom. Twin Classic probably has 50% more storage than any other Airstream and 25% more storage than queen Classic.
3. Able to back in/park further back on spot and stay on concrete/gravel.
4. Classic has reclining sofa facing rear, so you really aren't staring out towards the road and tow vehicle anyway. Dinette windows face utility side of trailer.

Just for my priorities, you have to sacrifice quite a bit to get a dinette rear view. At first, I thought my Airstream would definitely be a FB, but I can now see why they made the Classic a RB.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
We had 19' Bambi for a year - rear corner bed and front dinette.

We recently upgraded to a 27' FB.

At first, I thought it would be really odd with the dinette in the back because we had gotten so used to sitting there and watching people walk by in the campgrounds. Then we had a few campsites with nice views out the back.

However, more recently, we had one where we were backed up to a wall of hedges. Not such a great view.

I don't think that there's a perfect solution. I do like the front queen with space on both sides - absolutely hated the corner bed.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:00 PM   #34
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
No wasted space - except that stupid wedge pillow in the dinette.

Space on either side of queen in 27FB is not wasted. That room means it is super-easy to make the bed. You don't have to crab about on the mattress at the same time you're trying to lift it and tuck in the sheets. If you get up at night, you also don't have to bash your head on the overhead cabinets or climb over your bed partner.

Get your sheets together my brothers and sisters, and bow to the superiority of the 27FB Queen bed.

Of course, the twins are probably just as easy to live with as our queen bed (assuming you can abide sleeping separately), but that sideways queen or corner bed is too inconvenient for us.

Oh, and for the noise-phobic: We have yet to be awakened by storm troopers, sith lords or feuding Avengers while sleeping in our FB. It's fine.

Lastly, more storage means more crap in the trailer. So far, we're OK without that...but then again we're campers, not full-timers.

Most importantly, buy the one that you like best. It's your money and your experience. Who cares what we think?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
FB or RB

Lots of good issues to think about. It is not as simple as choosing an FB or an RB based on the view alone. Everything changes when you go one way rather than the other way. Floorplans, storage, size of bathrooms,vented refrigerators and microwaves are a few things mentioned.

Everyone uses their trailers differently which will add even more confusion but for us, the FB is much better because of the view. MOST campgrounds we stay at have very nice views out the back of the site. We like to sit at the table in the morning, have a cup of coffee and enjoy the vista. Yes, there are times when this "view" is of a hedge or even another camper looking back at us, but those cases are very few compared to the others. I can tell you with certainty that the view from the front of the trailer is ALWAYS the propane tanks and the road we drove in on.

While most of the points made here are very good ones there are a few that I would classify as silly. First, the noise issue. When we are in a noisy campground, it is noisy everywhere. Walking from one end of the trailer to the other makes no significant difference.

Secondly, having a wonderful view from your bedroom is lost on me. We sleep with our drapes closed and do not spend much time in bed looking out the windows. Someone said, "A front bed will always have your bed next to the TV. Its as far as from the back as you can get. In the case of the neighbors campsite, if they are nosy, you may like it. In the case of the beautiful campsite, you'll miss out sleeping with a view." I have a 2006 25FB and my TV is not "next to the bed." As a matter of fact, there is a refrigerator, a closet and the shower between the TV and our bed. And, what do you mean by "sleeping with a view"? The only view I get when I am sleeping is of the insides of my eyelids or the occasional technicolor dream if I am lucky.

So, make your decision based on what kind of camping will you do, what amenities will you gain with a FB and what ones will you gain with an RB. It is a personal decision for sure.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #36

Currently Looking...
Westminster , Maryland
Rear bedroom caution: if you have a bike rack mounted on the rear of your Airstream and the bikes are in the rack, you have blocked your emergency window exit. You MUST remove the bikes each evening before retiring.
Korbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:22 AM   #37

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korbul View Post
Rear bedroom caution: if you have a bike rack mounted on the rear of your Airstream and the bikes are in the rack, you have blocked your emergency window exit. You MUST remove the bikes each evening before retiring.
I never knew that one. When I seriously shopped the RB, I didn't realize that the rear window was the emergency exit. I guess that I just assumed it was on the side like the FB.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:29 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
6 of one or a half dozen of another-
I have had both and like them equally well.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Rod, on our 25 Rear Bed thee is two folding screens, on at the bedroom entrance and one next to the kitchen range. When these screens are pulled the separate shower and sink/toilet are linked as one large bathroom. That section of the hallway becomes part of it.

However, on our 25RB I reversed the bath door by turning it upside down and remounting the hinge so it opens toward the bedroom, not the living room. For her and I we just open the bath door, open her closet door (a handy place to drape your dry towel over while showering) and the same linked bathroom effect is achieved, and open to the bedroom for dressing.

We have a nice large sink/toilet area with a window of its own, but do appreciate how the hallway and shower can easily and privately be added to the space making a very spacious bath unit.
Doug-very imaginative to redo the shower door! We've been using the bathroom door in lieu of the folding screen, but because we're in windy places a lot (we're windsurfers so wind seekers), the door doesn't stay in place when it's windy.

However, if you leave open the tiny cover to the slot that holds the forward accordion screen open, it makes the hallway the perfect width fir the bathroom door with the match depressed.

Has anybody ever installed a second latch retainer in the inside of the small door that covers the forward accordion door to retain the bathroom door in the open position?

Apologies fir going a little off subject. I think the FB vs RB has already been well covered here. We've been in situations where the FB would work, but since we also set up our RB as a lounge area by putting the pillows sideways up against the wardrobes, were very happy with our RB 28' Ocean Breeze.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korbul View Post
We don't, we keep a hammer in the bedroom. The idea of getting out Airstream windows in an emergency is almost laughable for many of us. They are restricted by size and operating mechanisms.

If this is a considerable risk for you, I would do what another forum member had done while we were at Jackson Center last month, put an entrance door in his (front) bedroom. He couldn't imagine throwing his large dog out the so-called emergency escape window and somehow crawling out himself. Now he can just open the door and walk out with his dog, a nifty and realistic solution.