Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Those are nice looking bunks. Gotta be cosy sleeping in there.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Cute kids.....nice family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbury6 View Post
I attached a picture (I think!). The bunks are in the top left picture. The bath is in the rear.

We bought one those removable bed rail guards (not pictured) and put it on one of the top bunks for our 5 year old. She insisted on sleeping on the top. Works out nicely since it helps keep things tucked away while we're towing as well.
Thanks for sharing your pics....love to see a family enjoying an Airstream. paula

WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Paradise Valley , Arizona
That's what it's all about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
Thanks for sharing your pics....love to see a family enjoying an Airstream. paula
That's what Airstreams are all about, eh? Enjoyment!

@Andreasdsuess, from the picture, the bunks do look a bit cozy, must be the angle I shot the picture from. My hubs (and he's 6'3) and I are pleasantly surprised at how roomy and comfortable it all is. And actually the bunks are nearly full size twins. Just a couple inches shorter. I imagine with a wide body model it'd be even roomier. The kids hang their blankets and make "movie theatres" or private "game rooms" out of the bottom bunks. When you pull the trigger on the latest model you're looking at, send pictures! I'd love to see what you do with her to make her your "home away from home".

Cheers!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Just to make sure, I meant cosy as in "awesome", not as in "cramped".
This looks like every kids dream.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
Mathmatical raving of a madman :)

It sounds like you are looking at trailers, but based on the thread title I though I would get on my soapbox You have to take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I had a 37' class A Diesel Pusher for 8 years, and I pick my first trailer up this weekend.

Using some over simplified math to make a point and ignoring the differences in type of driving when on vacation vs going to work daily...

Consider the breakdown percentages assuming that you aren't retired:

If you only drive your RV on vacation, when will it break down?
On Vacation. 100% chance.

If you drive (a likely newer) tow vehicle with the engine, transmission, belts, cooling system, etc daily to work 10/12 months a year?
The chances are about 83% that the problem will occur at at home where you know your mechanic and likely have a spare car.

2nd consideration: If it does break down on vacation, getting your Truck/SUV and trailer repaired is much easier on the road due to better parts availability and more dealerships/mechanics vs complicated MH systems with unique parts. The parts that keep you from getting home on a trailer are simpler, tires, wheels, axles, suspension and brakes. All of which can be replaced / fixed quickly on the road compared to waiting for a part that is unavailable for a couple of months on a MH.

Conclusion: I want my daily driver to contain as many of the complicated systems as I can, so I switched to a trailer.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Nicely Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbury6 View Post
I attached a picture (I think!). The bunks are in the top left picture. The bath is in the rear.

We bought one those removable bed rail guards (not pictured) and put it on one of the top bunks for our 5 year old. She insisted on sleeping on the top. Works out nicely since it helps keep things tucked away while we're towing as well.
Great set up! Thanks for sharing.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We set up our 29' excella to sleep ten. We added bunks in the rear bedroom, two sets of triples with the center on each side hinged and able to clip to the top bunks so the bottom bunks can be used for sofas in the daytime. There's a seventh bed which folds up under the night stand and unfolds to fill the space between the bunks, since we have seven kids aged almost ten to almost sixteen. In the living room we have an idea sofa which turns into a queen for my husband and me and a chaise which pulls out into a single for my mother-in-law. You are in for some great times! I need to upload newer pictures, the ones on here are from before it was finished. Katie
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
Hola Andy 2,

We got 4 kids and a 34' 2000 excella. Oldest is 4. We stuff 3 into the dinette dropped down into a bed. That works pretty good. There is a bit of horseplay getting them down and when the 2 year olds soaks through that can be an issue but not too bad.

We had 4 in a car seat when he was under 6 weeks but will do a pack/play now, that fits in the living area, a bit cramped though. Wife and I are sleeping on the bed, no way I am crashing on that gaucho, it is ok for company I guess.

Its feels like a closet when 3 of them are screaming, wife is pissed, generator runs out of gas, it is raining, and you have to get dinner cooked, but hey, them are good times. Of course I look longingly at the 41' 5th wheels during these times as well. But that is a whole other set of headaches.

Towing is cake, the guys with the shorted trailers have a tougher time. Turning time of a 34' triple leg is nice and slow, you'll look like an expert after the first trip. TVs, well go slow enough and you can pretty much tow with anything given a good hitch setup. If you want to drive like I do, hammer to the floor, and are interested in getting to the cool pines and out of the hot desert while climbing 5000', then a nice big truck with plenty of power will be a nice addition. I have done 1ton and 3/4 ton both diesels. You can thrown all the bikes, generators, balls, toys, etc in the back of the truck as well as firewood when you need it.

But that is my experience. I always looked close at the 25' front bedrooms, I thought they had the best floor plans. By the time the kids outgrow the front, maybe you can throw them in a tent. I just don't have a feel for that, I can sure tell you that I would not put the 4 year old in a tent, maybe in a few years.

Well, good luck.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We also made a screen room which hangs from the awning. It adds to the living area so much and we like to clip a sheet to one awning arm and project movies onto it... Fun!
Old 03-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Newbury Park , California
family of 5 with twins (boys not beds)

Hello, I'm reading this thread very late as it was started months ago,but the title with family of five caught my eye.
I also have 3 kids. My daughter is 7 and my twin boys are turning 5 next week. I am mostly writing to tell you that my twins got easier (not easy, mind you) at about 4 and a half, so hang in there. We just bought a 25 ft Safari with front twin beds and plan to take it on our maiden voyage in a few weeks. Curious to hear what you decided to buy. My twin boys still sleep together in a twin bed at home(even though we put them to sleep in separate beds they somehow find each other in the night) so we figure all three kids can easily sleep in the front bedroom, and hubby and I in the "double" dinette conversion bed. Anyway, best wishes!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We decided to wait until next year before purchase. We were very tempted by a great trailer, and an awesome offer, by CanAm but the boys are just too young at this stage - the sleep/eat/wake routine is everything right now.

We will be buying a trailer rather than a motorhome, mainly because it's a much simpler setup. We'll be putting bunks in the bedroom for the kids, a fourth for a guest to sleep in, and then put a comfortable sofabed in the back for us.

Other modification will include replacement of the toilet with a composting model. The black tank will become an additional grey tank instead.

The trailer we looked at was a 33 ft triple axle model. I think we will go smaller, there are length restrictions in some of our provincial parks, probably 27 ft. with the mid bathroom.