Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2015, 11:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Folding bikes

With the recent purchase of my new airstream classic I strongly considered installing the fiamma bike rack. For many reasons I decided against the installation. I also decided against the installation of a front receiver hitch on my truck that will accept a bike rack that will carry normal size bikes. That said, and so that my wife and I can bike ride while camping, I'm now considering quality folding bikes that will easily store in my F 250 truck bed or cab, such as the Dahon D7 mariner. Do any of you carry folding bikes? If so, what are your thoughts as to the advantages and disadvantages? Do you have any folding bike brand or model recommendations?
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
After installing a front hitch receiver on my TV. Guess what? My wife and I were at a house sale and there was a matching pair of Mariners (white). What to do? We decided to buy the bikes for the convenient storage on long trips and use the front hitch for short trips. Best of 2 worlds, so to speak! Good luck with your decision.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have a Citizen folding bicycle and am very happy with it.

Considerably smaller and more manageable.

Maggie
Old 08-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
The folding bikes I have from camping world are heavy and uncomfortable. For a short shot around the CG they are okay, though. Not anything like the specialized hybrids we carry inside the trailer when on the road. Might list the folders on the classifieds if we make it home through the tropical storm.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:23 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
After installing a front hitch receiver on my TV. Guess what? My wife and I were at a house sale and there was a matching pair of Mariners (white). What to do? We decided to buy the bikes for the convenient storage on long trips and use the front hitch for short trips. Best of 2 worlds, so to speak! Good luck with your decision.
Bill and Jan

You guys are going to have to tell us how the heck you get all these good buys at garage sales, etc. etc. Which ones are you bringing to Traveler's Rest? We're awaiting the arrival of our front hitch so we can bring ours. That's another story.

>>ron and linda<<
Old 08-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Dahon is a reputable brand, and there are quite a few others. Only issue I have had with my Dahon's is the fact they have a lot of proprietary parts on them. As they get older the parts are harder to find. I have two Dahon's from the mid 80's and two Raleigh Twentys from the early 70's. They work for us as campground cruisers. If I want to ride longer distances or ride some technical trails the full sized bike goes along. I usually just prop it inside somewhere. FWIW I bought my Dahon's at a local thrift store, $100 for the pair.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Like Avion my folder is from CW. Too heavy for the size. In hind site I would not of bought it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
My wife has two from West Marine that were a gift to her from a friend. They were essentially new and had always ridden all folded up in the hold of their sailboat. They had been intended for "port" bikes and were simply never used. My wife's friend gave them to her hoping they would be good for Airstreaming.

They ride in the back of the truck unfolded because I can pack more effectively that way. They are nervous little bikes and are fine on pavement but gravel and dirt is not the place you want to go. As mentioned, these bikes tend to have lots of parts that become unavailable, even with the top brands.

We also have a Montage folding bike which is more like a mountain bike and it has not yet made any trips because of its size.

My view of folding bikes is not positive. They are a compromise at best and their utility is limited. There is simply no way that a midget bike with a hinge in it is as structurally sound or capable as I would prefer.

I am dreaming of a custom built receiver on the back of the trailer (discussed elsewhere here on the forum) and a bike rack that will fold down. This would allow carrying some decent bikes that can handle the rigors of camping and also allow folding the carrier down or taking it off to get into the trunk on our trailer.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would revisit the Fiamma Airstream rack. It gives you the opportunity to carry better, more comfortable bicycles. We have carried the same two Gary Fisher bikes on a VW Camper Fiamma rack and now the Airstream rack for over ten years, all over the country. They have suffered little from the experience and have always been convenient and secure for us.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
When we sol our 25' FB to purchase the 30' Classic we let the Fiamma be sold with the 25' because if we were to mount the Fiamma on the 30' Classic we would have problems with access to the rear storage compartment with the slideout. In addition the emergency escape on the 30' is the rear window. the presence of the bikes would have created a problem with getting out if the bikes were on the Fiamma. On the 25' the escape window is on the side, therefore, no problem. We are now waiting for delivery of our front hitch for our new TV. Before we sold the F-250 we had a front hitch and were very happy with having our bike rack mounted on the front. One of the advantages for us, having the rack on the TV was that if we decided to go exploring far from the CG we could take our bikes. The picture is our 25' Int'l set up that a new owner now has.

>>ron<<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Stream (3).JPG
Views:	140
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	246672  
Old 08-29-2015, 09:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We receintlly purchased recumbent trikes that fold. We carry them folded in the back of the truck. The truck has a shell. We can also carry them folded,in our 25 footer. We use them I. The camp ground, when we can as someone is always asking to try them.
We don't have the ICE brand, but one can see the trikes in different situations,trail,street and off road.. We have traveled up to 40 miles in comfort on them.
Before the trikes, we had a recumbent tandem.

Mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I had the pleasure of riding one of these for an afternoon. Very comfortable, light and easy to fold up and stow away.
https://www.brompton.com
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My Citizen bike is sturdy, made of steel, and does well on paved, dirt and gravel surfaces.....tho curves and turns on gravel must be done carefully, but that would be true for me on any bike on gravel.

It is not a dirt bike, but great for exercise in a campground or roadway.

Doug and I carried our two folded and in their carry cases. I find carrying mine unfolded is much less bulky and awkward for me, and I have no problems lifting it into and out of the Interstate.

My bike takes up about 1/3 the space of a traditional bike.

Maggie
Old 08-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Can anyone comment on the riding comfort of a quality folding bike versus a standard size non-folding bike?
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
As long as you can adjust it to a riding position that works for you, it will be just as comfortable as a regular bike. The best thing you can do is find a shop that carries them and try them out.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree with Cameron.

The seat and handlebar height adjust as a regular bicycle would, it's the tires that are smaller.

Maggie
Old 08-29-2015, 12:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjcjr View Post
Can anyone comment on the riding comfort of a quality folding bike versus a standard size non-folding bike?
We have 2 Bike Friday folding bikes. One single and a Tandem that are custom made to fit the riders and one regular size for home. I am probably going to sell the regular one as I ride my single folding more now.
Probably the biggest determining factor in ride comfort is in the seat. Make sure you get a good one.
Bike Friday's however are not cheap however but if you like to ride a lot,they are totally customizable and after 10 years of use are still like new.
Ours are both 27 speed and we have no trouble keeping up with all the " regular" bikes.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
I have a Giant brand folding bike. Very nice bike and it folds up easy and into a pretty small carry bag.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjcjr View Post
A lot depends on the rider. I ride a full sized Raleigh Sports 3 speed up to 60 miles in a day. My Raleigh Twenty is set up very similar to my full sized Raleigh. Similar gearing, same saddle, etc. I have ridden it over 40 miles in a single day. If you purchase a QUALITY folder and set it up properly it should be just as comfortable. Years ago I had a couple of bike Fridays, if I didn't look down at the wheel I would not have been able to tell you if I was on my full sized bike or my BF. Yes they are that good.

My Dahon is a bit wobbly and twitchy but I didn't buy it for serious riding, I bought it to pootle around on. I have ridden a Brompton and was very impressed, eventually I may buy one. I know some people that have toured all over the world with their Bromptons.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #20
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I had a Fiamma and two Trek bikes on my '12 28' Intl CCD. While it "worked" -- I had enough issues with the setup to not put this on my '15 Classic. Here's why: the Fiamma broke one of its mounting brackets (cast aluminum) -- $56 to replace it. BUT the main reason I gave up on the bike rack was that it blocks access to the trunk. That was an issue with a 30 amp electric cord, but I cannot begin to imagine how I would ever get a 50 amp cord under, around, and through the bikes/bike rack for stowage. The Fiamma also blocked the emergency access to the rear window. Solution for the '15 Classic. Two Dahon folding bikes. I bought the nylon storage bags. No mess, no fuss, easy storage, they ride great, and best of all NO FIAMMA BIKE RACK!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote