Old 08-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
As long as you can adjust it to a riding position that works for you, it will be just as comfortable as a regular bike. The best thing you can do is find a shop that carries them and try them out.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree with Cameron.

The seat and handlebar height adjust as a regular bicycle would, it's the tires that are smaller.

Maggie

Old 08-29-2015, 01:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjcjr View Post
Can anyone comment on the riding comfort of a quality folding bike versus a standard size non-folding bike?
We have 2 Bike Friday folding bikes. One single and a Tandem that are custom made to fit the riders and one regular size for home. I am probably going to sell the regular one as I ride my single folding more now.
Probably the biggest determining factor in ride comfort is in the seat. Make sure you get a good one.
Bike Friday's however are not cheap however but if you like to ride a lot,they are totally customizable and after 10 years of use are still like new.
Ours are both 27 speed and we have no trouble keeping up with all the " regular" bikes.

George
Old 08-29-2015, 06:43 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
I have a Giant brand folding bike. Very nice bike and it folds up easy and into a pretty small carry bag.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #19
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Can anyone comment on the riding comfort of a quality folding bike versus a standard size non-folding bike?
A lot depends on the rider. I ride a full sized Raleigh Sports 3 speed up to 60 miles in a day. My Raleigh Twenty is set up very similar to my full sized Raleigh. Similar gearing, same saddle, etc. I have ridden it over 40 miles in a single day. If you purchase a QUALITY folder and set it up properly it should be just as comfortable. Years ago I had a couple of bike Fridays, if I didn't look down at the wheel I would not have been able to tell you if I was on my full sized bike or my BF. Yes they are that good.

My Dahon is a bit wobbly and twitchy but I didn't buy it for serious riding, I bought it to pootle around on. I have ridden a Brompton and was very impressed, eventually I may buy one. I know some people that have toured all over the world with their Bromptons.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:06 PM   #20
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I had a Fiamma and two Trek bikes on my '12 28' Intl CCD. While it "worked" -- I had enough issues with the setup to not put this on my '15 Classic. Here's why: the Fiamma broke one of its mounting brackets (cast aluminum) -- $56 to replace it. BUT the main reason I gave up on the bike rack was that it blocks access to the trunk. That was an issue with a 30 amp electric cord, but I cannot begin to imagine how I would ever get a 50 amp cord under, around, and through the bikes/bike rack for stowage. The Fiamma also blocked the emergency access to the rear window. Solution for the '15 Classic. Two Dahon folding bikes. I bought the nylon storage bags. No mess, no fuss, easy storage, they ride great, and best of all NO FIAMMA BIKE RACK!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
We purchased and returned two sets of the expensive small wheel folding bikes as they were uncomfortable and not really meant for longer riding. After lots of research we decided on Montague's. These are the full size foldable bikes the troopers use when they parachute into a location. Very sturdy, full size wheels and frame, easy to fold, and lots more. We found them to be quite expensive so we watched for resales on Craig's list and in bike shops. We purchased two beautiful almost new Montague folding mountain bikes this way. Love them. So do our friends and two couples have also purchased them. We carry them in the back of our SUV (take up little space) and would have no other bikes. Check them out on line and if you want to save some money, watch the ads. Even at full price, they are great bikes.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Bab: Which Dahon and bag did you buy?
Old 08-30-2015, 07:50 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1985 25' Sovereign
Venice/Nokomis , Florida
Quote:
I am not sure comfort is the in the equation. I think the full size bike will always give you more comfort than the folding bike. I think because of the controversy of putting a hitch on the rear of an Airstream (putting stress where stress should not be) vs mounting front hitch (sight obstruction complains etc.) there in lies the dilemma. Storing the bikes inside of a SUV or the rear of a PU, then seems to be the option. Sacrifice comfort for the latter. BTW, I don't think the folding bikes were ever meant for long and of comfortable riding. IMO!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:15 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
After installing a front hitch receiver on my TV. Guess what? My wife and I were at a house sale and there was a matching pair of Mariners (white). What to do? We decided to buy the bikes for the convenient storage on long trips and use the front hitch for short trips. Best of 2 worlds, so to speak! Good luck with your decision.
Do you like the Dahon mariners?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:03 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
As I said we tried the little bikes but they did not work for us and especially if you are doing a lot of mountain or distance biking. We would not ever consider putting bikes on the front of the tow vehicle because of the window obstruction; dangerous driving in my opinion. Additionally I am sure the bikes must take a beating in the front. Not much better on the rear. Our full size Montagues are safely tucked away in the back of the SUV, out of the weather & deterioration and out of the view of possible theft. Still lots of room left for storage bins, an electric cooler, fan and more.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I also have the citizen barcelona 3 speed and purchased the travel bag. Rides in the trailer at the foot of the bed.
LilNomad
Old 09-05-2015, 10:28 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
I went through the same decision and decided on a Montague folding mountain bike which I bought in Tucson last winter. So far I've been very pleased and it rides much like a regular bike but possibly a little heavier. The smaller folding bikes looked too limiting for my uses. I spoke with a dealer in Orlando earlier who didn't have any in stock so he didn't have anything to gain in our conversation as I was passing through. His recommendation was to spend the extra money for the Paratrooper Pro over the standard Paratrooper model for what it's worth. Unfortunately the Tucson store only had the model above the Paratrooper Pro which what I bought (overkill for my uses).

I bought the carrying bag so the folded bike fits nicely in the back seat area of the truck with no chance of grease getting on anything.

Folding Bikes - Montague Bikes
Old 09-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Has anyone figured how to carry bikes inside an Airstream?