Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Farmington Hills , Michigan
First trip out... bust...literallly a bust.

Well we prepping our "new to us" 19' FC for the maiden voyage putting in all our supplies, trying to figure out how everything works last week. My wife made a beautiful cover for our bed, loaded up the kitchen and I was trying to figure out the water tanks but it was getting done until it got hot and I decided to open the windows and turn on the fans. I watched the youtube video about being careful opening the windows if they had not been open for a while. Problem is I watched it in January and in haste I cranked to hard without carefully checking the seals on the side window. BAMMM!!! the window blew out. Got an estimate on a new window, $570 plus labor. Uggg. We have decided our "next" maiden voyage will be to the "mother ship" in Ohio. We will take the tour and beg for help in trying to figure everything out. Just a glitch in the long term but disappointing to say the least. For all you newbies out there watch the youtube video on how to carefully open the windows after storage...and take note.
tobutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Unfortunately, learning from a mistake can be expensive. Good luck and don't force anything on your AS. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Expensive lesson.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
First trip out... bust...literallly a bust.

Somewhere along the way we all have expenditures higher than "necessary". If only this, and if only that, in retrospect.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Glad you posted this, reminded me of a project I needed to do. Just went out and siliconed all my window, door and hatch seals.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If the windows give any resistance at all, go outside the trailer and use an expired credit card or driver's license to slip in between the glass and rubber to work the window free. Then, use baby powder or some type of silicone lubricant on the rubber seals.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Then, use baby powder or some type of silicone lubricant on the rubber seals.
Glycerin, that you can buy in the supermarket or drugstore, is very good for rubber that's drying out. Chemically it's very similar to the volatile compounds that evaporate out of rubber and cause it to harden, and it will soak into the rubber to help keep it flexible. Silicone lubricant or baby powder will keep the seals from sticking, but they won't soften hardened seals. I don't know if your seals are hardened or just stuck, but I thought I'd mention it in case.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
My windows are probably a bit different, as they are from Creative (no longer in biz). However, we had a crank out bottom segment on our front window shatter while in Custer State Park a couple of years ago. We'd driven down some washboard roads the day before, and it popped off one end of the crank assembly arm, and opening it twisted the glass, so it shattered into a thousand pieces. Finished the trip with a garbage bag taped into place for weeks. When we got home, I made a template and had a piece of tinted, tempered glass made up at a local glass shop for about $60. I cleaned out the channel the glass fit into and siliconed the new piece into place. That was it. Perhaps you can do the same instead of replacing the entire window.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:19 AM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Glycerin, that you can buy in the supermarket or drugstore, is very good for rubber that's drying out. Chemically it's very similar to the volatile compounds that evaporate out of rubber and cause it to harden, and it will soak into the rubber to help keep it flexible. Silicone lubricant or baby powder will keep the seals from sticking, but they won't soften hardened seals. I don't know if your seals are hardened or just stuck, but I thought I'd mention it in case.

I've always got some silicone grease around for w-stripping, but will now try glycerin. Thx
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB International
Dayton , Ohio
The windows, especially the side one on our 2015 19'FC, still stick like they have been glued even after lubing the gasket. The dealership just pried them open from the outside, lubed them again, but it doesn't seem to help any. Once the seal is broken, the window opens and closes fine for a day or two until the next time the rubber melts back onto the glass once the sun comes out again. Oh well, I guess I can put that airstream membership card to good use popping open the window from outside...
Artvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
I hate to say it....it happened to me. I cranked too hard on the window over the bed on the street side and she shattered in a million pieces. I ordered a replacement for less than $200 and put it in with no problem. If I can do it, so can you. Good luck....
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Farmington Hills , Michigan
I am wondering if Dielectric Grease would be helpful. I use it on all my trailer electrical connections and it seems very stable and long lasting. Anybody ever try this?

I should have not forced it but I opened the front window and the rear without a problem. The vent/fans stuck a bit but did open. It was the last window I was trying to open and ... well, you know---just get a bigger hammer
tobutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Be careful with silicone Spray. the solvent in a spray can be bad for rubber. You can buy a small canister if silicone grease from a Pool Supply store or your local auto parts supplier. It is used to lubricate O-rings.

Glycerin is water soluble so it won't last as long as silicone.
My 89 had the same problem after long storage...the credit card thing is one way to release them

Dielectric grease is probably silicone...

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Replacement purchased through Andy.
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Best thing I have found, once the seals have been treated with something like 303 protectant, is once you release the latches, leave it for 5 mins or so, then the windows are easy to open. Works for me every time.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
I use 303 on my 2015 and I think it will improve lifespan of gaskets but they do still stick. What I did find on another thread was this:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...et-132014.html

These things are the greatest thing since cheese grits. Super simple, Install in no time, and work perfectly to break the seal from the inside. Look like they were installed at the factory.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Glycerin is water soluble so it won't last as long as silicone.
True. But it's cheap. $6 for a 6-ounce bottle at CVS, and that bottle will last you a couple of years, easy. Apply it regularly as a preventative before putting your unit into storage, and massage it into the rubber.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:02 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
BTW, the window poppers do not interfere with the OceanAir roller blinds in our 2015 International. The blinds stop just above them when they are in the down position. I can't say if they would interfere with the standard mini-blinds used in the Flying Cloud.
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:14 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
North Richland Hills , Texas
Try adjusting your locks. They may be took tight. I had to loosen a couple of locks after getting my AS. They don't stick as often but are still water tight. All you need is a small adjustable wrench.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobutton View Post
Well we prepping our "new to us" 19' FC for the maiden voyage putting in all our supplies, trying to figure out how everything works last week. My wife made a beautiful cover for our bed, loaded up the kitchen and I was trying to figure out the water tanks but it was getting done until it got hot and I decided to open the windows and turn on the fans. I watched the youtube video about being careful opening the windows if they had not been open for a while. Problem is I watched it in January and in haste I cranked to hard without carefully checking the seals on the side window. BAMMM!!! the window blew out. Got an estimate on a new window, $570 plus labor. Uggg. We have decided our "next" maiden voyage will be to the "mother ship" in Ohio. We will take the tour and beg for help in trying to figure everything out. Just a glitch in the long term but disappointing to say the least. For all you newbies out there watch the youtube video on how to carefully open the windows after storage...and take note.
Ok.... First of all... No need to go to Ohio... Just read on Airforums... Then see if somebody close to you can tell you little tricks and pitfalls. If you are in Florida, we will be happy to help. The first year or so is baffling... But soon you will get the hang of it.
People always tell me it was good because I bought a brand new Airstream and therefore everything was perfect. HELLO??!! There were plenty of problems. But, every trip there are issues... But we read Airforums and use the best solutions. I am in my 7th week on the road and almost 6000 miles....
This trip-- we replaced the six year old batteries... ( my son's jeans were "eaten alive" by the old battery acid--- I replaced two halogen bulbs with LED bulbs--- the upper cabinet halogens burned a hole in my pretty blue blanket... My friend keeps forgetting to put the lid down on the toilet ( not a good thing) the brake controller was not working in the Rocky Mountains-- etcetera, etcetera etcetera!
Just part of the fun of towing a trailer across the USA.
Don't worry... Just look at it like a boat... Expect issues... Be safe-- read Airforums... You'll get the hang of it. Super fun-- don't worry!
sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote