Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2015, 05:28 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Glycerin, that you can buy in the supermarket or drugstore, is very good for rubber that's drying out. Chemically it's very similar to the volatile compounds that evaporate out of rubber and cause it to harden, and it will soak into the rubber to help keep it flexible. Silicone lubricant or baby powder will keep the seals from sticking, but they won't soften hardened seals. I don't know if your seals are hardened or just stuck, but I thought I'd mention it in case.
I wouldn't think the rubber on a brand new trailer is hardened. The problem of stuck windows on trailers may have more to do with the type of rubber. Car windows don't stick.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:30 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I'm gonna hafta try glycerin-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Golden , Colorado
Our new bunkhouse had a window break in transit, and I replaced it with one overnighted from the factory. I can tell you, the process is trivial. The upper hinge is a 'Z' hinge - you just tip the window up very high, and the metal part slips in or out. Once in, go inside and connect the arms to the pre-installed brackets on the window. I took the inside screen surround out as well so I could do it and not have to re-install all of the screen material into it's channel.

Feel free to PM me if you need more guidance or anything at all!
bbdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:06 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Farmington Hills , Michigan
Thanks all for the replies. I am sorry others have had the same problem but am glad to know I am not alone. Thanks for the tips! I have the window sealed up with plastic and tape so I am not sure how it is connected. I ordered the new window and when it comes in I will remove the seal and see how it is connected to the frame. If it is riveted it may cost more to replace. If not I will most likely have them replace it any way as it will not be too expensive in the scheme of things.

I know there is a lot of info on the forum, youtube, and blogs but I am hoping a trip to the mother ship and a few hours could really boost my confidence.

Thanks again for all the support,
Rich
tobutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 11:28 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
tobutton, what a coincidence. We broke our bedroom window on our first trip out as well. It happened on the drive back to the dealership (we were storing it there for awhile). We never knew how it happened. Dealer initially said it wasn't covered under warranty. I called Airstream and they agreed to pay for the window as a courtesy. We had to pay for labor though, dealer charged us $100 bucks I think.

By the way, we used the credit card trick to open the windows and it didn't always work for us. Someone recommended a suction cup and it's the best little gadget we have bought for our Airstream. Works like a charm.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote