Old 02-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Green Bay , Wisconsin
We tow a 2014 27' FC with a 2016 Ford F-150 eco boost V6. Over 8500 miles since last May up and down across the continent. No issues at all and great fuel economy. Avg 15.5 mpg

Excella1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Lincolnwood , Illinois
I have the 2016 f-250 and absolutely love it. I have the deisel super cab
The 25 AS is the smallest you would want to have for extended stays.

The ram1500 eco diesels would be plenty for towing your 25 and give you great gas mileage to boot. for me it was a matter of payload. Not enough capacity to bring "toys"
along. Plus if I want to take family or friends along I dont have to worry about payload issues. If the low payload isnt a problem for your needs, I would probably go with the Ram eco.

Milo1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:18 AM   #23

Currently Looking...
waterloo , Iowa
A Ford F250 (gas or diesel) will handle the load. Our travels take us to the mountains frequently and I value overkill when it comes to the tow vehicle. A diesel version in 3/4T of any of the major mfg (ford, chevy, ram) have ample HP and Torque to handle all of the inclines and much better engine braking when going down grades. Diesels will also milage better than a gas tow vehicle. I have not pulled with a Ram (cummins), but I own a 2500 Chevy crew cab duramax and a F350 Ford crew cab w/6.7 power stroke diesel. Both are extremely capable tow vehicles. My wife says the F350 is more comfortable than the Chevy. Currently we are pulling a "Toy Hauler" that looks like a box and loaded it weighs over 7500#. The Ford averages 12-13 when pulling and the Chevy 14-16 pulling the same load. I would stay away from Ford w/diesel engines prior to 2012 or specifically either the 6.4 or 6.0L diesels. (plenty of issues noted online) If purchasing a diesel tow vehicle older than 2012..... I personally would stay with a Dodge/Ram (cummins diesel) or Chevy (duramax diesel). safe travels
otis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
west plains , Missouri
We tow a 25' with a Toyota Tundra. It does the job very well and is more comfortable to use as a family vehicle when detached.
rjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The two of us spend 6-7 months each year traveling with our Airstream, finding we carry much less stuff around the country than family weekender campers. We travel extensively, and settle into various destinations for some time.

More important than carrying heavy loads around is a safe, comfortable vehicle to tow our Airstream, and an easy, economical daily driver when we settle in. Our Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is a near perfect vehicle for our overall use. The 3.0 turbodiesel engine coupled to the 8 speed transmission is extraordinary for all of our uses.

However any pickup can be bulky driving and parking in city/suburban and remote camping settings, with and without the Airstream attached. For this reason, and for the substantial and economical engine/transmissions available and very stable, safe full independent suspension, I would look into a medium size SUV such as a VW Touareg, BMW X-5, Mercedes, or Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi.

The only advantage of pickup trucks is more cargo space and the huge discounts in purchase price you won't get purchasing a new SUV. The only advantage of large pickup trucks is (maybe) the ability to carry lots of heavy stuff around the country, with the understanding your pulling and stopping about 2,000 lbs more truck to begin with.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Boy, did the team jump on you. First, welcome. Now, go to the big box store and get the giant economy size pain reliever of your choice. You are going to need a bit of chemical relief from the muscle strain of smiling. Cause there is a lot of that heading your way. Second, an active lifestyle will keep the young in your life and you will need a bit of help when the old reminds you it's still marching along.

Now about the 3/4 ton. It's a simple, no brainer solution, so not a bad place to start. Lots of folks like them. Look too at the Toyota Tundra. Several folks in our Rally group find them a good choice. We were surprised, but they were surprised at our choice. The Ford Eco-Boost is a new technology that has made quite a towing name for itself. The Ram Eco-Diesel has done same. I'm not sure that the foreign SUVs are a good choice for you. They make excellent tow vehicles, but it takes a bit of technical expertise to set them up. If you had one, it might be worth the effort, but since you do not maybe the other choices would be easier.

In truth, there are lots of good choices. Just know why you want what you want and don't take anything folks tell you to be fact. Generally, it is opinion. Verify the facts for yourself.

The RV trail takes a hands on do it yourself approach. Kind of liberating as you succeed with resolving each issue and achieving the adventure goals.

As part of your investigation, get the Mountain Directories. They give you a planning tool to establish the conditions you will face on routes all across the country. Most grades on interstates are 5-7% and easy for a good rig, but two lanes can get tall and twisty.

Also, start slow. A few shake down trips help tune your knowledge and work out your approach to handle day to day tasks, storage, and comfort solutions.

Travel conservatively. That helps when things go sideways. You don't have to limit your travel to 200 miles, but trying to meet a schedule under adverse conditions can be hazardous.

Good luck. Hope to see you down the road. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Remember the dish soap!

(I have had a few knocks on my door while Airstreaming. "Could we borrow some dish soap?) Seems to be something everyone forgets on their shakedown.

You will never forget your first trip. Memories are made of this.