Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2017, 07:10 PM   #61
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
So learning a bit, eh? Look at the Oliver coaches. Dual shell should dodge the carpet on the walls. Not sure on pricing, but they are supposed to be well respected. Maybe? Probably in for a trip to the factory to pick up a new one.

Also, there are lots of choices out there, from converted all aluminum work trailers for stealth camping to full four season coaches and horse haulers with living accommodations. We looked at the Winnie. Not a bad coach. Has a rounded roof to shed water. It will work for you. We thought it was too high off the ground, but we were serious about an AS. There are some other aerodynamic trailers out there. Also some nice simple SOBs with no slides to hang up. Looking is half the fun.

Many used trailers are cursed with leaks. Spend some time looking at videos on RV leak detection/inspection. That is best one I found.

No one pays list price. Assume the original buyer got it for 10-20% off Manufacture's list price.

Good luck with your research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #62
Long time owner

2004 25' Classic
1974 25' Tradewind
1970 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Forrest City , Arkansas
There is nothing wrong with buying "used" if you are careful. Over the past 50 years I have purchased seven RVs and they have all been used. I have been satisfied with everyone of them and when I decided to change I was able to get most of my money back. If you buy "new" the value drops in a hurry. So, the best value is to buy used.
doctorlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
There is not a whole lot about a used one that you cannot determine. Take an ice pick and a hammer, punching holes around the inside walls to be sure there is not rotted wood. Be sure to get down, literally on the ground, and look at the underside of the trailer. We bought without doing that and there was underneath damage - extensive - that did not show from outside viewing.

Hook up to water and electricity; turning everything on. If it has set for a long period the refrigerator may have issues. Without being turned on something happens with the refrigerant. We had to purchase a new refrigerator, also. This trailer had been pulled 2,000 miles - a rough 2,000 miles, but had set since 2005.

It is fairly easy to re-seal the seams on the exterior - and yes, you are going to spend time in maintaining - just as you would any residence.

Good luck.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:07 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
Input on models:

There is not a whole lot about a used one that you cannot determine. Take an ice pick and a hammer, punching holes around the inside walls to be sure there is not rotted wood. Be sure to get down, literally on the ground, and look at the underside of the trailer. We bought without doing that and there was underneath damage - extensive - that did not show from outside viewing.

Hook up to water and electricity; turning everything on. If it has set for a long period the refrigerator may have issues. Without being turned on something happens with the refrigerant. We had to purchase a new refrigerator, also. This trailer had been pulled 2,000 miles - a rough 2,000 miles, but had set since 2005.

It is fairly easy to re-seal the seams on the exterior - and yes, you are going to spend time in maintaining - just as you would any residence.

Good luck.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #65
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
We have a 25ft FC twin beds and it works well for us
Don't be intimidated with the larger 23-25 ft if you will spend much time traveling
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #66
potential full-timer

Currently Looking...
Carolinas , Carolinas
We went last night to look at trucks, and I was surprised how much I liked the Ford F-150 3.5L v6 w/ Eco Boost. It handled pretty well, and was reasonably comfortable, even though it was clearly, clearly not designed for someone my size (or my taste). I never, in a million years, imagined I would own (or want) a Ford truck. But here we are, and I do kind of want it.

The bed was so big, we started to think about putting a permanent canopy on it (which would also make life a bit easier when loading groceries in the rain, and give us more height for hauling things to and from our future storage unit, etc).

Here's the big idea: We know it will be lacking in amenities, but I think we are going to try car camping out of the back of the truck, with a mix of Walmart boondocking, state parks, and RV camps that also have camp sites. We could do Internet field testing, plus scout out the lifestyle. I am big on real world research, and this could be a fluid way to get to know the truck while checking out lots of different aspects of the life we want.

If we can rough it in the back of the truck on an air mattress for a few months, awesome--that removes the hassle of a temporary trailer (finding, inspecting, buying, selling). If we want to take more time to think about it or just can't live without RV amenities, we can get a little used trailer after all. But ideally, since our rental home lease is up next spring, we could plan to buy the trailer we really want once and for all then.
RadioWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #67
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Great plan - should help grow your knowledge in a lot of areas. Good luck! Pat
Old 06-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #68
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you want to stay "F-150 size", look at a truck camper. You might be in a F-250 once you are done, but it is pretty much the same truck.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 AM   #69
potential full-timer

Currently Looking...
Carolinas , Carolinas
Update: We bought a truck over the weekend! We test drove several F150 versions and one Tundra, just to check another brand box, but thought the F150 was a great match for both temporary car camping (aka, field research) and long term towing.

Never, never, never thought I'd buy a truck. I feel so small in it! But I think after some zero-consequence practice in a big empty parking lot, I'll get comfortable pretty quick.

Now we have to get a nice cap with screen windows, then we can hit the road!

Thanks again to everyone for your incredible guidance and community. It has really, really helped us in our journey!
RadioWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #70
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Congratulations! Pictures when you have time. Get a silver cap. That will get you headed in the right direction. Hope to meet you down the road on your adventure. Pat
Old 06-20-2017, 06:11 AM   #71
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just as with trucks, there are a range of caps. Spend some time working out what you do or don't want as options. Being water tight is an "optional" feature with some brands

Bob
Old 06-20-2017, 09:13 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Kirkland , Washington
Been There

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioWagon View Post
My husband and I are in our 30's, no kids, one labradoodle (35 lbs).

We finally realized that we can hit the road at will, since we can both work "from home" as long as there is Internet. Boondocking is a particularly enticing idea, as we don't exactly hate people, but are real introverts who enjoy nature and P&Q. We also love America (hey there, America) and want to see more of it, our own country, rather than spend all our dollars abroad.

We love flexibility, as on many of our trips we end up wanting to leave early or stay a day longer. We love seeing weird, beautiful, and interesting things on long car trips, and recently drove cross-country in our teenie weenie hatchback. So, we think we would love the trailer style.

We don't want an RV, as they seem to have more maintenance, and we'd like to unhitch and drive through national parks or to the grocery store with less drama than an RV entails.

We've looked at non-Airstreams online and now in person, and aren't feeling jazzed about anything but the classic AS brand. They just feel well made, and reliable, and beautiful, and a bit more trustworthy over time.

The pickle now is figuring out which one to choose...

The 16" sport felt claustrophobic, but the 23FB Cloud felt ginormous. The 22FB Sport felt just okay, but a little more closed in than the 23FB Cloud, maybe because the 23FB Cloud had brighter cabinet finishes.

We are driving 2 hours to a second dealership tomorrow to see a 19' Cloud, Cloud 23D, and re-see the Cloud 23FB tomorrow.

The thing is, we haven't found a way to rent an Airstream to test drive, so we don't quite know how to narrow it down.

The only thing I know I need for sure is a little breathing room in the bed area (the 16' would never work) and some counter space over the bathroom sink, which is ideally not the same as the kitchen sink.

This might not be enough information, and we are so very new to this world, but are beyond enchanted and have this feeling that it could be a lifelong love. We might even make it a part-time lifestyle, and just get a small house to call base camp locally part of the year.

So, New Internet Friends, I kindly invite you to donate all the advice you can. Thank you, and thank you again!

PS--We are only open to new trailers, so 2017 or 2018, because I'm not sleeping on a used mattress and I basically want to know where it's been and what happened to it. If it's going to get dirty or damaged, I'm the one who should do it.
Boating is a lot like Rv'ing: its called two foot itis.
Think larger when you start looking and you'll be good for a few years.
Four years ago I bought a 23 Foot Flying Cloud rear bedroom with a L shaped lounge. Been a great rig and have towed it with a 2013 F-150 with an Ecoboost engine. Have traveled over 23,000 miles and I will keep this tow vehicle as I now am moving up to a new 25 foot International Signature front bedroom. That configuration is important when you are backed into a scenic view you see that from the dinette, rather than looking at your tow vehicle.
Used or new? Depends on a lot of factors. My 23 was used, not much at all and was great. My new 25 is a 2017 and new that I got at a very good discount over MSRP.
Buy an Airstream of whatever length and you will enjoy.
ratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Re: The Casita Discussion... Yes. Still in shock over the carpet. There is no emoticon adequate enough to display the shock.

We have done lots, and lots, and lots of investigation since I last posted. We are going truck shopping tonight, just to get a feel for the truck thing. Toe in the water.

I called the RV dealership we liked, and talked to the sales guy we first met there, and he said that any new RV is going to depreciate. I said we were open to used, and he sent me some photos of a used 2017 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106DS. It’s actually pretty cute. He said the owners used it twice, then bought a 25’ Airstream. So, basically, they’re a lot like us! He didn’t include the price in the initial email, so I asked. He said it’s clean and doesn’t smell like anything. I believe the MSRP was about $25k, and with taxes this one would be $17k.

We’d like to go look at it, but the round trip drive is 3 hours, so that’s a thing. Should we go look at it? Is this a potential good fit and good deal? I think so, but I’m new to sales with wheels.

I’m not going to get excited about this particular unit, but I do like the look of it as a starter so we can field test the Internet and start the weekend warrior thing.

One of the attractions of buying new is that I feel like it’s easier to determine the price and true condition, but I think used has so much potential for what we want to do—get our feet wet in this wonderful world of RVs, with the long game plan of becoming full timers in our true trailer of choice.

When buying used, though, how do you know what you’re really looking at? How do you know if it will be a good RV to flip in a year or two? (I mean, I have a brain and everything, but buying or selling anything on wheels always has a particular dark magic about it. I was never hurt by asking a question!)

I want to bake you all cake for sharing your stories and thoughts and being so helpful. There is no way to thank you enough. So, for now, here is some psychic-thought cake, from me to you. There is a gluten free version for those who need it. Mmm! Tasty!

Three hours doesn't seem like much of a drive? Especially if you will buy a trailer to drive places. Make it an adventure[emoji1303]
babybeluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #74
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you *aren't* driving 3 hours or more to look at dealer inventory, that's pretty unusual in this day and age. There just aren't that many dealers or that much inventory out there.

Bob
Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
2006 31' Classic
2008 25' International
Traverse City, San Diego , Michigan
I've had a19, 25, 31 and a Basecamp. My hands down favorite was the 25.
4streams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
We are a little older and switched to the AS to protect our backs and because, honestly, we needed a restroom closer than the whole unzip the tent thing in the dark.

They want to rush you through but hold the line and spend time in each unit. Imaging yourself on the 3rd day of a long weekend trip with the dogs. You got up at 5:30 and dealt with them, going back to sleep hopefully while they idled inside so as not to annoy your neighbors. Wouldn't get so hung-up on brand new because if the mattress is your concern on a slightly used one, buy a new mattress as the $ you'll save is significant. That said ...

We have a 25FB and travel with a lab and a large shepherd. Don't allow dogs on the bed or furniture so that leaves the floor. We found a 25 was the right size for two of us although it accommodates our adult children when they come with us. We could do 23 but 25 seemed to have a better layout and "fit" right.

As to how do you know what you are getting with a used AS, I'd say that the new ones have terrible construction that is only ameliorated by the fact that competitors have worse. Most of us have done substantial repairs to simple things like broken latches, lug nuts, converters, vents, lift supports, etc. Just read the posts. THe upside of a slightly used one is that the former owner dealt with the headaches (hopefully) but in general, don't get an AS if a toolbag scares you because this is an active lifestyle and if you get the maintenance books from the Airstream Life website, you'll be well informed and prepared.

To my 30-yr old self I'd say: Go, try it out, take risks just outside your comfort zone, make mistakes, that things are replaceable if you mess-up, research but don't succumb to paralysis by analysis and buy fewer things of higher quality. That and buy Amazon stock.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
[QUOTE=RadioWagon;1959510]Thanks, thanks, thanks a million! To everyone!
"........Also, on beds... I think twin beds might be the ticket. We both move a lot in our sleep, and the dog is always up and down and in and out of bed. Though twins aren't as snuggly, the actual rest factor could go way up. When it comes to crawling over, we might be too old for that ___. My husband and I have very different sleep schedules, so this could be vital. "

You mention "very different sleep schedules". I am not exactly sure how you mean that, but our sleep schedules are this. My wife gets up much earlier than I do. I also need to take naps while she never does. We have a 30 foot Classic with the bath in the middle and the queen size bed in the back. If both doors of the bathroom are closed , I will not hear any noise coming from her activities whether that is cooking, watching TV , listening to the radio or talking to someone on the phone.

So if you need separate space because of "different sleep schedules", you might want to consider a trailer that closes off in the middle, to create two separate spaces.

My son-in-law never had towed a trailer before they bought our 28 foot SOB after we purchased a used 30 foot Classic Airstream. We went to the local school yard and I showed him the fundamentals of turning, backing etc. He adapted quickly and had no trouble towing.

A longer trailer is actually easier to back into sites than a shorter trailer.

Good Luck to you, Wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 06:47 AM   #78
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you want to back way out on this decision:

1) Do you want to camp out or stay in a hotel / cabin? I *could* be in a cabin or yurt about 300' from where I'm parked in the state park.

2) Do you want to play with a tent? We did that for a *lot* of years. You can get into all sorts of places that are impossible with anything that has wheels on it.

3) Pop up's are sort of a tent on wheels (to me). They give you some of the features of a trailer and much of the flexibility of a tent. Is that combo the one you are after?

4) Sitting here, there is a nice bit Class A up the hill. Big slide outs, lots of room. They must have a tow vehicle, I'm not sure where it is.

5) Just down from them was a 40' (yikes !!!) SOB with slide outs in every direction. Also lots of room. Set up and tear down didn't look all that bad. Not sure about what they were towing it with ... to each his own.

It's not just about 22' vs 23'. There are a *lot* of choices involved. We spent decades looking at the alternatives. As our needs changed, some of our opinions changed a bit. I most certainly would not go for anything past a tent unless you have a fairly clear idea of what you are after. If try before you buy is needed, then rent or borrow something similar. We never went the rental route. I have spent time in friends RV's.

It's not so much the depreciation, it's the hassle. There are a whole set of things that go with any of the above. What makes sense with a tent does not make much sense with a big class A. What you need for a cabin isn't what you need for a pop up. You will spend months / years fine tuning that part of it. Years later (say ... umm ... 50 years ..) you will still have piles of this and that around.

Take the time to narrow things down and *then* pick a model.

Bob
Old 06-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Oro Valley , Arizona
Quote:
... 30 mins after writing the last post: Is this why people who full-time it don't have base camp, Florida room style residences? I always thought it was purely a financial choice, but maybe it's largely also logistics. You get a storage unit, call your parents' address yours, and live every/nowhere.

We just bought some land that we re building a tiny plus house and designing the property to have our AS as another living space with its own water, electric, septic, patio, cover. We re selling our current home since it's way bigger than we want or need
Ajlawcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #80
2 Rivet Member

Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If you want to back way out on this decision:

1) Do you want to camp out or stay in a hotel / cabin? I *could* be in a cabin or yurt about 300' from where I'm parked in the state park.

2) Do you want to play with a tent? We did that for a *lot* of years. You can get into all sorts of places that are impossible with anything that has wheels on it.

3) Pop up's are sort of a tent on wheels (to me). They give you some of the features of a trailer and much of the flexibility of a tent. Is that combo the one you are after?

4) Sitting here, there is a nice bit Class A up the hill. Big slide outs, lots of room. They must have a tow vehicle, I'm not sure where it is.

5) Just down from them was a 40' (yikes !!!) SOB with slide outs in every direction. Also lots of room. Set up and tear down didn't look all that bad. Not sure about what they were towing it with ... to each his own.

It's not just about 22' vs 23'. There are a *lot* of choices involved. We spent decades looking at the alternatives. As our needs changed, some of our opinions changed a bit. I most certainly would not go for anything past a tent unless you have a fairly clear idea of what you are after. If try before you buy is needed, then rent or borrow something similar. We never went the rental route. I have spent time in friends RV's.

It's not so much the depreciation, it's the hassle. There are a whole set of things that go with any of the above. What makes sense with a tent does not make much sense with a big class A. What you need for a cabin isn't what you need for a pop up. You will spend months / years fine tuning that part of it. Years later (say ... umm ... 50 years ..) you will still have piles of this and that around.

Take the time to narrow things down and *then* pick a model.

Bob

I'm not necessarily recommending the route we took, but as we are 70 and 68 we did not want to spend the rest of our days researching and not out having fun. We weren't even in the market. But we did go to just "look". We knew we should start small for the learning curve and we knew we would want gently used. Looking back renting would have been an option, but expensive and not our style. Well after "looking" at about 6 models we ending up buying the one that first intrigued us. 22" FB Bambi Sport. Very clean and nice. Yes it could be an expensive mistake, but we were pretty sure we could recoup our money if it didn't work out. It has been a fabulous 7 months. Although my husband is not retired, we try to make a trip every month. And now that we know we love it, we are talking about long term. As you say there are many things to consider. Our thoughts are
Bigger (22 is pretty small for some one my age to be doing the acrobatics for storage under the bed, let alone making the bed against the bulkhead)

Wrap around windows and a seating area with a view. We have only had back in sites, so theoretically the best view from inside the AS is always out the bathroom window.

Twin beds if not a walk around queen, for ease of making and getting in and out from the bulkhead side (hubby's side, I'm kind of claustrophobic).

Pretty small list. But we will still keep "looking".
babybeluga is offline   Reply With Quote