Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
First extended trip

We are getting ready to leave on our first extended trip - meaning a month instead of our longest of 3 nights that we've done a few times. We planned it this way so that we could get familiar with how everything works before taking a longer trip. We have 28 nights under our belt at this point and we're very comfortable with things like towing, stopping for gas, and backing into camp sites. Even though the trip will be for a month, we are on a schedule so that we can be at family gatherings and a wedding during this time, so all of our stays are already reserved.

So my question is, other than the obvious things like bring more clothes and food, what else should we be considering? How is a long trip different than a short one?

Thanks in advance for any insight that you can provide.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Adequate prescription medicine, if that is an issue.

Be sure you have enough for your trip, or have them set up at one of the big drug stores so you can pick them up along the way.

If you have a pet, take a copy of their immunization record.

Extra batteries, light bulbs, a small tool bag, etc.

Altho I have names, email addresses, etc., stored electronically, I carry a zip around, refillable planner which I call my "home book"....hard copies of names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. are in there, plus this is where I keep printouts of shot records for the dog, reservation confirmations, stamps, envelopes, address labels, etc.

A small home office tucked away.

Maggie
Old 06-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
In the beginning, I used to pack extra stuff but low and behold, I discovered that there were stores every where. Now my Airstream is loaded with the same stuff regardless of trip length. The bigger issue is on the home front ensuring that all the daily necessities are taken care of. Jim
Old 06-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Adequate prescription medicine, if that is an issue.
Spare eyeglasses/contact lenses, or at least a copy of your latest prescription so you can buy replacements without getting a new eye exam. When people think about prescriptions, this is one they often forget.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #5
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Secure your home, let neighbors and police knoe, arrange for mail and papers, arrange lawn cutting. I always like to leave my home like we r living there, lights on etc. a little hardto do when they notice trailer is gone!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
So my question is, other than the obvious things like bring more clothes and food, what else should we be considering? How is a long trip different than a short one?
One difference is laundry. If you're going to be gone a month, you might need to do some while you're gone. A roll of quarters and a couple of Tide Pods and dryer sheets in a Ziploc bag, plus a duffle bag to schlep the clothes around is all you need for that (though you could stuff the dirty clothes in a spare pillowcase if you don't have a duffle). And simple laundry supplies like this— together with one week's worth of clothes— take up a lot less room than a whole month's worth of clothes.

You'll also likely have a few rainy days where getting out of the trailer to do things won't be desirable. So books, DVDs, or whatever you can do indoors to amuse yourself will help while away the hours. But for those times when you do need to get outside in the rain, a good raincoat is useful, along with some way to hang-dry it in the shower (ever try hitching up while holding an umbrella? not terribly practical). Maybe you already bring raingear on short trips, so that's not a change, but just in case you have only done your short trips in good weather, I figured a reminder wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
One difference is laundry. If you're going to be gone a month, you might need to do some while you're gone. A roll of quarters and a couple of Tide Pods and dryer sheets in a Ziploc bag, plus a duffle bag to schlep the clothes around is all you need for that (though you could stuff the dirty clothes in a spare pillowcase if you don't have a duffle). And simple laundry supplies like this— together with one week's worth of clothes— take up a lot less room than a whole month's worth of clothes.

You'll also likely have a few rainy days where getting out of the trailer to do things won't be desirable. So books, DVDs, or whatever you can do indoors to amuse yourself will help while away the hours. But for those times when you do need to get outside in the rain, a good raincoat is useful, along with some way to hang-dry it in the shower (ever try hitching up while holding an umbrella? not terribly practical). Maybe you already bring raingear on short trips, so that's not a change, but just in case you have only done your short trips in good weather, I figured a reminder wouldn't hurt.
I meant to ask about laundry. I just robbed my coin jar for quarters and I will bring a duffel bag. Thanks!
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Just remember that there is always a Walmart where you can buy what you need or run out of.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 19' International
Santa Margarita , California
We are just getting ready to do the same thing! We are going on our first trip, to Colorado and back. We have a few places reserved on the way there, we're staying at an Airbnb in Boulder... but then we have nine unplanned days on the road on our return. Am I crazy to not reserve a spot for each night? I was hoping to just sort of see where each day takes us but... I'm interested to hear from other, more experienced people if that is even possible in the summertime. ?
ellenbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Dorchester , Illinois
We normally stopped between 2 and 3 pm and found no problem getting a space for the night. We preferred the "Mom & Pop" CGs over the more popular parks, friendlier, cheaper and nearly everywhere you want to stop for the night. For destination resorts reservations are a must.
Missed-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We found early on in our retirement travels that making a slew of reservations in advance was restricting and limiting, and rarely found difficulty finding a site day by day.

In all of the lower 48 states, this has been working well for 9 years.

Really hating "cold calls". we look for campgrounds in the direction we intend to travel that day, call ahead and get a site.

The only exception to that may be weekends, and especially holiday weekends.

We found it generally easiest to find a spot to sit at these times, weekends often filling up everywhere, and holiday weekends speaking for themselves.

Weekends were for laundry, putting something in the crock pot, giving the unit a good clean, etc., and just being still for a couple of days.

Make an extra pot of coffee or tea, and sip it outside, under the awning.

Maggie
Old 06-19-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Keep in mind that your AS is totally self-contained, so you don't need to overnight in a campground. I frequently overnight at rest areas, historical markers, Walmarts, etc. There area number of Android apps that provide this information, such as: "RV Parky", "RV Camps Locator", "Overnight Parking" and "Allstays" (well worth the $10). I'm sure that there are similar ones for Apple. As well, hmdb.org will provide you with a list of nearby historical markers - interesting tidbits of local history to make you travel a bit meaningful, as well as a place to overnight.
WBCCI 8080
Old 06-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
In addition to what Maggie said about dog shots etc. We carry a certified letter from our Vet as to the breed of our dogs. With insurance companies changing their rules all the time on breed acceptance we simply plan this ahead. Especially one of our Labs has a large block head and some unknowing people have asked if she was part PIT. I work with an love PITS, but they are banned from most campgrounds now.

Enjoy the trip.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Keep in mind that your AS is totally self-contained, so you don't need to overnight in a campground. I frequently overnight at rest areas, historical markers, Walmarts, etc. There area number of Android apps that provide this information, such as: "RV Parky", "RV Camps Locator", "Overnight Parking" and "Allstays" (well worth the $10). I'm sure that there are similar ones for Apple. As well, hmdb.org will provide you with a list of nearby historical markers - interesting tidbits of local history to make you travel a bit meaningful, as well as a place to overnight.
I was thinking of adding this same information.

Our/my basic rule of thumb, tho, is that if heat or AC are required...find a campground. It's just so much easier.

Always good to keep plenty of water and propane in your tanks, too, so that if your fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants travel fails to find you a campground, you are still able to meet basic needs wherever you happen to land.

Maggie
Old 06-19-2016, 09:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
SeaLevel... Congrats on the upcoming trip!

We tend to leave full and restock as needed. If you have favorite foods for camping, or homemade stuff you like then shop or cook ahead and freeze it. We leave with extra beans and rice, frozen soft food our old dog needs and other goodies we can't cook or might not find in far off places.

I keep a spreadsheet with each day's itinerary, campground names, reservation confirmation number, etc. I also make sure I have the site numbers for each campground since some of them don't have that info when we arrive or are unattended.

During a month on the road your trailer will need a cleaning or two. We travel with interior and exterior cleaning supplies whether we are headed out for weekend or a cross country trip. We may not wash the outside (20 states worth of road dust is a badge of honor in some circles).

If you plan to stay in one place for an extended period you may want a "blue boy". I have a 32 gallon model that I have literally never used except for a test dump of my gray tank in the driveway and transport of the contents to my main drain cleanout. I find that with the two of us in place for more than three nights I have to shift water from the gray tank to the black. I do that using a bucket, but I know the day will come when the blue boy saves me.

Also, for long term in place situations, a fresh water jug with spout is needed if you do not have a spigot at your site.

Have fun!
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Can't speak to the RV-specific stuff since we haven't made our maiden voyage yet (waiting to take possession!), but I have gone on long trips up to 3 months (and 3 continents) with suitcases, rental cars and motels.

My tips would be:

Weather changes over a month. Pack clothes, shoes or supplies for either possible extreme during the time/place. Also one fancy outfit just in case you end up wanting to go somewhere where your normal clothes would be out of place.

Look into how to launder undies etc. in the sink to stretch out your need to visit the laundromat. Or just bring extra of those items. (Though I'm a huge fan of wash & fold, where you drop off and they do the work. Not every place has them.)

I second the prescription stuff. Also OTC stuff you need at least once a month. Even in a motel with a little zippy car, it's annoying to have to make multiple stops to pick up Tums or a refill. Trailer/TV seems like a much bigger annoyance. It's much better to have the basics, like bandaids, Neosporin, allergy meds, Imodium, clippers, ibuprofen, earplugs, sunscreen, bug spray.

Look at the other little conveniences you use. On long trips, I pack a nice Bose travel speaker - it adds a couple pounds but makes everything much nicer. Your AS probably doesn't need it, but that kind of thing that makes a trip feel homey and enhances your enjoyment. Your cozy PJs? Scented candle? Favorite book? Little piece of art? USB charger cables for both the lounge AND bedroom? That.

My traveling companions are always jealous when I pull on my favorite yoga pants and fluffy socks to lounge in and they are stuck only with jeans.

For your home: You'll feel better if you know somebody will check in once a week just to be sure there are no surprise leaks or anything. A trusted person should DEFINITELY have a key, even if they aren't going to check weekly. We leave a list of our usual contractors etc. for our friend just in case. Personally, I leave a signed blank check with my house sitter to be extra prepared. (Granted, our house is old and persnickety.) We also have webcams so we can sneak a peek just to be sure things look fine.

(Note: We've never actually had a problem with the house while traveling, so I don't mean to scare you. But one month while at home we had both a roof and radiator leak. Don't worry, prepare! is my motto.)

USPS hold mail, or get a neighbor to pick it up for you.

The most important accessory for a long trip though... is embracing the nature of long-term travel. It's very different at first! You'll find your routine but it'll probably take a few days.
ahoyhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I was thinking of adding this same information.

Our/my basic rule of thumb, tho, is that if heat or AC are required...find a campground. It's just so much easier.

Always good to keep plenty of water and propane in your tanks, too, so that if your fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants travel fails to find you a campground, you are still able to meet basic needs wherever you happen to land.

Maggie
If heat is needed, I use my blue-flame heater. I generally don't need AC for at night, but I do have a 3K genset in the back of the truck. I start out with a full fresh water tank, and top it up using a 5-gal container, which I perch on a small stepladder and let gravity drain into my fresh water tank. I'm set up for boondocking with 365 watts of solar, two monster AGM batteries and a 3KW charger/converter/inverter.

When I first started RV'ing (back in 1981) I went ballistic if I couldn't find a C/G, and used the KOA guide extensively. Now, 36 years later, I camp on BLM land and ferret out freebie places to stay at. One of my sources is "Days End" which has over 850 pages of listings. See:

https://www.escapees.com/parking/overnight-parking
and
http://www.daysenddirectory.com/index.php?page=5
WBCCI 8080