Old 10-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plymouth Meeting , Pennsylvania
Fewer Classics than other Models

Because I'm in my "looking" period, I've visited a number of sites selling Airstreams. Now, maybe I'm wrong but there seems to be fewer Classic AS models listed for sale, both new and used. Is it because they do not sell as well? If this is the case, what is it that holds back the Classic? I appreciate any elightenment.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Fewer classics are made than other models.

The RV market is extremely price sensitive. Also, I think that Airstream and its dealers do a poor job of explaining the difference between the classic and other models.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
Because I'm in my "looking" period, I've visited a number of sites selling Airstreams. Now, maybe I'm wrong but there seems to be fewer Classic AS models listed for sale, both new and used. Is it because they do not sell as well? If this is the case, what is it that holds back the Classic? I appreciate any elightenment.
Primarily it is the price.

There are some who prefer the, in my opinion, starker interiors of the other models.

As Jammer already said, the upgrades are not all immediately obvious and the dealers don't seem to be very knowledgeable of what they are.

We justified the price difference by realizing it was something we planned to have for a long time.

Ken
Old 10-11-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We wanted a Classic due to the upgraded interior with hardwood cabinets and other amenatives. After searching for a couple years we found a 2005 25' Classic that had been used a couple times and then stored in a warehouse. It was 4 years old and like brand new. The good part about it was the price we paid which was about 1/2 the list price for that year and model. A new 2009 at the time we purchased it would have been at least $10,000 more. We have towed it over 10,000 miles since we bought it and have enjoyed every minute of it.

Dennis S
Old 10-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
They're better now, but when we started looking at Airstreams in the late 90's, the interiors reminded me of my grandmother's living room.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
If You Find a Classic, Snag It

We feel very lucky that our new-used 2007 Classic Limited 30' came on the market just as we decided to resume Airstreaming. Four years old, but barely used, it seemed very affordable. New ones are pricey, and as others have mentioned, the dealers don't always explain what you get for the extra $$.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
They're better now, but when we started looking at Airstreams in the late 90's, the interiors reminded me of my grandmother's living room.
My grandmother's living room was a happy place for me.

Ken
Old 10-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I have a 2002 Classic “Limited” 31 foot (see avatar). I chose the Classic because it is “timeless” in design, warm/cozy like my home and the “Limited” came in full dress.

In other matters of design I tend to like plain/simple/modern executions, and do like the modern late model Airstreams but I realized that if I was going to spend a considerable amount of time in the Airstream anything other than the Classic would be to “cold” for me.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1992 25' Airstream 250
anywhere , New Jersey
We chose the classic because it has bigger windows that open up, the interior is great, and it has comfort written all over it.

Watch WDCU-ers have fun, visit www.wdcu.wbcci.net
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
We chose a barely-used 2006 31' Classic after visiting the forum for the first time in the classifieds- may be dumb luck, but we got what we wanted and then some. The wood interior is a must for us. Beware- if you are looking and you find what you want, don't wait too long to make up your mind, cuz they disappear quickly. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
We didn't choose our lightly (barely) used 2007 Classic. It chose us, quite unexpectedly and serendipitously.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Well said everyone. The Classic just feels like home.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
Buddy and Barbara

2013 30' Classic
Macclenny , Florida
We never thought about a travel trailer until a couple of years ago (2009), but it only took one visit to our Airstream dealer to know that we wanted one. We looked at the various models (all great!), but once we stepped into a Classic, that was it. As someone else said, it feels like home. As the flagship of the fleet, it is considerably more expensive than some of the other models and for most of us, this is a huge factor. We almost bought a new 25' Classic but decided to try to find a late model used one. In just a few weeks, our dealer called and said he had a 30' 2004 Classic in that had been infrequently used and was stored in a barn. We went down the next morning with check in hand, and thank goodness we did! The dealer said he had notified 13 customers about the unit and we were the first to get there to look at it. Needless to say, he called the other interested parties and told them it was sold. We love "the peanut" and plan to full-time in it in a couple of years -- it's that comfortable!

I think there is a lot of interest in the Classic, but the price is out of reach. If a Classic is your desire, keep looking and get a dealer to look for you as well. It is well worth the wait.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
Why are there fewer classics?

Besides costing more they are also heavier thus requiring a stronger tow vehicle. The classic (we had a 30 and now a 34) had the upgrades that we liked including:

Windows that open to three different positions
Hardwood cabinetry
Sturdier steps
Vistaview windows
Awnings on all windows
Hot water heater that uses either electric or gas
etc.

We are planning on this being our last RV since it should out live us.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is online now   Reply With Quote