Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #1

Houston , Texas
Few questions

Hi all. One day I hope to own a Airstream in the meantime I have a few questions I'm hoping to get answers to.

First am I correct that 16 feet bambi's do not come with refrigerators? I gather this from browsing the Airstream site. However I've seen models for resale that say they have fridges.

Also is it possible to add a microwave or/ and an oven to a 16 foot model?

I'm focusing on a 16 foot model as I would
Probably be towing it with an SUV with max towing capacity of 5000 pounds. I guess another concern would be with the extras it might signficantly be over the gross weight of 3500 pounds which would make the TV 5000 pound towing max a mute point.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Refrigerator

Hi Augustfall,
16 footers do have a refrigerator. It is located below the cooktop. Here are 2 pics of 2 different models. The first picture is of a 16' International Quiksilver (?), and the second one is of a 16' Sport. Hope this helps.
Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7857l.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	125077  
Attached Images

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hello, Augustfall, and welcome to the forums! As you've already discovered from Bolerama's , this is the place for tons of information about Airstreams!

Lynn
Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerama View Post
Hi Augustfall,
16 footers do have a refrigerator. It is located below the cooktop. Here are 2 pics of 2 different models. The first picture is of a 16' International Quiksilver (?), and the second one is of a 16' Sport. Hope this helps.
Lisa
You are right about the first photo. It is of a Quiksilver limited edition 16' CCD. Looks just like mine. All of the newer 16 footers come with a refrigerator, however, some come without ovens. So far, I have not missed the oven.

Stan
Old 03-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustfall View Post
is it possible to add a microwave or/ and an oven to a 16 foot model?
It is involved to add a conventional oven to these smaller trailers because the ovens are fairly large and there isn't any suitable place to put them. There is a lengthy thread on whether people use ovens. The upshot of it is that some people never do while others can't get by without one. Depends on how you cook and how you travel.

You can add a small countertop microwave to almost any trailer.

Quote:

I'm focusing on a 16 foot model as I would
Probably be towing it with an SUV with max towing capacity of 5000 pounds. I guess another concern would be with the extras it might signficantly be over the gross weight of 3500 pounds which would make the TV 5000 pound towing max a mute point.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to offer.
Trailers outlast tow vehicles. Choose the trailer you want and get a tow vehicle that will work for you.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Some SUVs don't make good tow vehicles even though they might have the tow capacity. Check with your RV dealer to see if your particular SUV falls in this category. Since your trailer is quite an investment, can be difficult to resell, and yes they do depreciate, I would suggest you appraise what your needs are now and will likely be for the next 5-10 years. Is your family growing, shrinking, over this time frame? What type of use do you envision? Do you plan long trips where you are living out of the trailer for several weeks or months or do you only plan on short weekend visits to the local state park? What type of storage do you need? Do you only need space for single season clothes or will you be camping in the Rockies where one day it is in the 60's and another down in the 30's and teens at night? If this is the case you will need clothes for multi seasons which requires a lot more space. After you have assessed your likely needs look for trailers that will fulfill these. It may require you to budget for a larger trailer. Maybe you can consider a used trailer that is well maintained. THis might allow you to move to another tow vehicle that can handle a larger trailer. An advantage of buying a used trailer (2-3 or so years old) is a large depreciation has already been taken. If you find that, even with the best research, you first dream trailer doesn't really fit your needs, it will be easier to resell while taking less of a depreciation hit.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Many of the "microwaves" you will see in the Airstreams are also convection ovens as is the case with our Airstream. Finding a spot for a conventional oven would cost a lot of storage space in a Bambi.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:56 AM   #8

Houston , Texas
Thanks everyone for the replies it is much appreciated. I'm thinking way ahead of the curve in regards to when I would actually get an Airstream. I most likely wouldn't be getting one sooner than 3 or 4 years. The wife isn't really the outdoors type so I was thinking more along the lines of getting a small one like the 16' International just to use mainly for myself and our little guy who is currently only 8 months old, and occasionally my wife would join us.

I asked my wife tonight on a scale of 1 to 10 what her general interest would be in getting a travel trailer 'one day' . Of course she went into panic mode (thinking I meant soon) and said 3. Once I told her I meant when we had more money down the road she upped her rating to a 6.

I then asked her if she thought it would be better to get the smallest as perhaps she wouldn't be interested all that much in participating except occasionally, and the price difference being around 20,000 between a 16' and a 25' model. She stated if it was 'just' 20,000 difference she would rather get a larger one. At this point I had to clarify that I was talking about a trailer you pull and not a motor home. She pondered this for a moment and told me she would still rather get a larger one as 'we could really have some good vacations in it'

I followed this up with asking her if she thought it would be best to get a dedicated used TV ( truck) for the job or upgrade the family car. She stated the only way to go on this one would be to upgrade the family car. I told her we could probably get a good used truck for $11,000 to $15,000 but she firmly told me if that was the case she would rather upgrade the SUV.

This is all fantasy stuff right now but I was surprised by her low grade enthusiasm. I thought she would have told me to get a hamster cage on wheels, and to let her know before I leave so I can show her how to switch the input on the tv from cable to DVD.

Perhaps us just having a little guy has warmed her up to the idea. So this being the case I know which Airstream I want us to have. That would be the 25' International FB. Of course I would like to get new (who wouldn't ?) but at $68,000 to $75,000 or whatever it's up there. So I would be very happy with an exceptionally well maintained older model (7 to 3 years old). I have no interest whatever in fixing one up.

So when the time comes how does one know how to verify a statement like ' In excellent condition' apart from the obvious, if like me when it comes to checking out vehicles and such your a tool. Are there services to check out Airstreams as there are for cars?

It seems like you can get a fair bit off MSRP on a new Airstream (not sure if this is the case for 25' as that seems like a very popular model) but is there much negotiating room (dealership wise) in the used market?

Thx again to everyone who replied to my first post each comment left was very helpful.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 AM   #9

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Well, time is your friend when looking at Airstreams! Air Forums has an inspector list on the portal page (right hand side midway down from the top) that has an inspection sheet and a list of people who will inspect a trailer or MH for you. A lot of people buy an AS and then find out that camping is not for them and sell and a large loss. Winter is the best time to buy and there are lots of previously enjoyed Airstreams out there. I bought an 19' Bambi CCD and love it! I looked for months and lost out on a few but found one that was barley used. I used the inspector list and have never been happier. Also you can Google the vin# and see how many times it's been titled.

The 19' works for us, mostly long weekends and one 7-10 trip in the summer. It's easy to tow and it doesn't require a big truck to tow it.

Good luck on your research and buy what you can afford and what fits your lifestyle.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I believe that in the larger (25-34') sizes the 1980s era Avion trailers are some of the best deals going right now. They are frequently sold on craigslist by private sellers for under $20,000, sometimes under $10,000, for trailers in more or less ready-to-use condition. Appearance and construction are roughly similar to Airstream.

The 1970s Airstreams in larger sizes can be found for less money still, often in ready-to-use-condition, but are more prone to certain costly failures and, if original, have an interior styling that many people find dated rather than timeless.

I and many others here tow with a 3/4 ton Chevrolet Suburban, which are readily available used at reasonable prices. That may be a more palatable alternative to a truck. The 3/4 ton version can, in practice, tow any Airstream though for some model years it is helpful to have the optional larger engine.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustfall View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies it is much appreciated. I'm thinking way ahead of the curve in regards to when I would actually get an Airstream. I most likely wouldn't be getting one sooner than 3 or 4 years. The wife isn't really the outdoors type so I was thinking more along the lines of getting a small one like the 16' International just to use mainly for myself and our little guy who is currently only 8 months old, and occasionally my wife would join us.

I asked my wife tonight on a scale of 1 to 10 what her general interest would be in getting a travel trailer 'one day' . Of course she went into panic mode (thinking I meant soon) and said 3. Once I told her I meant when we had more money down the road she upped her rating to a 6.

I then asked her if she thought it would be better to get the smallest as perhaps she wouldn't be interested all that much in participating except occasionally, and the price difference being around 20,000 between a 16' and a 25' model. She stated if it was 'just' 20,000 difference she would rather get a larger one. At this point I had to clarify that I was talking about a trailer you pull and not a motor home. She pondered this for a moment and told me she would still rather get a larger one as 'we could really have some good vacations in it'

I followed this up with asking her if she thought it would be best to get a dedicated used TV ( truck) for the job or upgrade the family car. She stated the only way to go on this one would be to upgrade the family car. I told her we could probably get a good used truck for $11,000 to $15,000 but she firmly told me if that was the case she would rather upgrade the SUV.

This is all fantasy stuff right now but I was surprised by her low grade enthusiasm. I thought she would have told me to get a hamster cage on wheels, and to let her know before I leave so I can show her how to switch the input on the tv from cable to DVD.

Perhaps us just having a little guy has warmed her up to the idea. So this being the case I know which Airstream I want us to have. That would be the 25' International FB. Of course I would like to get new (who wouldn't ?) but at $68,000 to $75,000 or whatever it's up there. So I would be very happy with an exceptionally well maintained older model (7 to 3 years old). I have no interest whatever in fixing one up.

So when the time comes how does one know how to verify a statement like ' In excellent condition' apart from the obvious, if like me when it comes to checking out vehicles and such your a tool. Are there services to check out Airstreams as there are for cars?

It seems like you can get a fair bit off MSRP on a new Airstream (not sure if this is the case for 25' as that seems like a very popular model) but is there much negotiating room (dealership wise) in the used market?

Thx again to everyone who replied to my first post each comment left was very helpful.
Since you are a few years away and want to have quality camping time with the little guy let me make a suggestion. You might consider either buying a tent or a used popup camper (starcraft or Coleman). When our kids were growing up we camped in a popup. It is easily towed by a SUV or minivan and if you buy a quality used one you can resell it and get most if not all of your money back. The main thing to look out for in a used one is to make sure there has been no leakage in the roof section. This is often overlooked. I saw a hardly used Starcraft recently for $3,000. Many of these only weigh in the 1500 range. Heck with a popup, you can likely get your wife interested.

07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote