Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
My wife and I are not exactly small people and our little 23' can really get to moving around sometimes. While they did not have electric stabilizers on the 69's I think this may still work regardless. I use my manual screw jacks on the back bumper and leave the front about 3 -4 turns low to front making sure the trailer is level side to side. I snug up the screw jack on the back of the trailer just touching the bumper and then give it the 3-4 turns to raise the front. That is super stable on 3- hard points plus the tires firmly on the ground. Then, if I had the additional stabilizers I'd deploy those to add additional stability. What I've also found is that the jacks can become loose after 2-3 days being deployed especially if there is rain. So I repeat the process and ensure they are re-tightened every couple of days. Just a thought
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #22
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
extra stabilizing jacks

I have seen people with longer trailers use a scissor type stabilizing jack between or on one side of the tires/axles. You are now supporting the center of the trailer on the frame not the axle springs and have 6 solid jack points instead of 4. Just make sure you are under the frame or an approved jacking point.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Newport , Arkansas
AS's are designed that way.... so the people will know.... "when the trailer's rockin,'....."☺️
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
These chocks do a great job of keeping the tires still to eliminate rocking. Use two, one for each set of wheels.

https://hensleymfg.com/product/ultimate-tire-chock-one/
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamer View Post
These chocks do a great job of keeping the tires still to eliminate rocking. Use two, one for each set of wheels.

https://hensleymfg.com/product/ultimate-tire-chock-one/
I think these are the key to prevent rocking. I've been using them for years and they really do a great job. I didn't know how well they worked until I started to use them and they eliminated a lot of the rocking. The other thing I do is tighten the rear stabilizers first and then the front ones, since doing it the other way around you can lift the tongue off the ground. This method gets the trailer very stable for me.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Come on, it's a trailer. If you need a foundation, stay at home.

I use a cordless drill with torque setting to lower my stabilizes. I played with it until I found the setting that works, but it's not as much pressure as you'd get with Hoiwie's method.

At least I know if my wife tries to sneak out at night. Oh wait, she'll know if I do too......
Old 11-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Longview , Texas
X chocks

Here is what you need.
Reading the consumer reviews , they say these x chock braces will make ir rock solid and stop all movement. They are designed for dual axle trailers.
Here`s a link, if you get one for each side, it should really do the trick, most talk of how good one of them works, and this link has atleast 1 listing that has 2 for what one costs at the RV place

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...chock&_sacat=0
dave43tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Motors on stabilizers? Apparently we need to upgrade! Seriously, we use them to stabilize, not as jack stands. Level the trailer, and snug-em-up to the ground.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave43tex View Post
Here is what you need.
Reading the consumer reviews , they say these x chock braces will make ir rock solid and stop all movement. They are designed for dual axle trailers.
Here`s a link, if you get one for each side, it should really do the trick, most talk of how good one of them works, and this link has atleast 1 listing that has 2 for what one costs at the RV place

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...chock&_sacat=0
I use the xchocks on one side (with the anderson levelers on the other) but did not consider that they could also keep the trailer more stable. I may just use them both from now on. Here is my review from our youtube channel:

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I may like the Fastway One Step chocks better.
I am currently using the very large black rubber chocks.
Ain't no way the trailer will roll over the top of them.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:24 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Actually, the only time we use the stabilizers is when we unhook the TV. On trips, unless it's real windy, I don't notice the wiggle, wife has never complained, and the doggies really don't care. En route, we stay hooked up.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:34 AM   #32
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I use a cordless drill also. I have the torque set pretty high. When the drill starts to torque my wrist, I let off. No question it raises the trailer a small amount. I have everything lever before I drop the stabilizers, and put the same amount of pressure on each one. We are generally rock solid. I have a 23' so it probably does not twist as much as a longer trailer. Never had the door stuck. Our bathroom is at the other end of the trailer. Being a old guy, I have to walk down there a time or two during the night. I don't want to shake the whole trailer to announce my mission. I'm 6'5" so there's no hiding my weight..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Weighting the stabilizer jacks to take too much weight off the axles, I think, is not a good idea because it puts flex on the trailer frame and body opposite to the design of the Airstream. Not so much that the stabilizer jacks can't take it. I think a little bit of weighting to the jacks is OK, but don't overdue it.

Personally on my 25 I never use my stabilizer jacks unless I am parked for at least several days.

On my 34 I try to use my rear stabilizers more frequently as the cantelever force in the rear of the trailer seems to cause the rear of the trailer to drop a bit. Not much, but I think it is a good idea to support the rear end whenever possible to receive this stress. Not so worried about the front end as the tongue jack does the job.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I bought a cheap ($24) cordless drill. It doesn't have enough torque to get me into trouble. It lowers down the stabilizers quickly and snugly, but i still get a bit of movement.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote