Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
FC solar

I'm seriously considering the FC 25RBT and the FC 26RBT, both with 2 A/C units (I live in Texas...go figure).. I will mostly boondock and plan to have a generator, but I would like to have sufficient solar for when A/C is not needed. So I have a couple of solar questions for the forum.

But before I get to that, I know the 26 comes with a macerating toilet...other than using more water than the standard "drop and release" type, anyone having problems with these?

I realize with 2 A/C units, real estate on top will be limited. Plan A would be to get the factory solar and maybe add some portable panels to supplement the roof panels. Plan B would be to have a 3rd party install the entire solar system, with apparently better converter/inverter/batteries.

Question 1: Are Airstreams still pre-wired for solar, and is this wiring sufficient for expanded panels?
Question 2: Do the trailers come with the roof-top solar "plug-n-play" plug adapter (Zamp?) even if you don't get factory solar?
Question 3: For those of you with factory solar, have you upgraded the converter and/or the inverter?

Thanks
neck101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I have a 2018 International, and did NOT get factory solar.

They are pre-wired for solar. There is a plug and play plug on the roof, and one by the battery box. The 2018's have multi-stage controllers as well.

Seems to me that you'll be fine either way, with roof installation, or with portable.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Thanks Weird for the reply and information
Old 04-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
It is my understanding that the prewired solar has 10gauge wire and that if you want a larger system that you should have a larger gauge. I am in that situation now. I am choosing to get a AM Solar 200W system installed now with the 10gauge wire. If I choose to go larger down the road, I will have better wire pulled.

Jason
Roguegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Howdy!

Larger wire is a must for anything over 100 or 200 watts of panels. We use 6AWG for 400 watts and 4AWG for 600 watts of panels. Anything over 600 watts gets 2AWG cable.

It's probably best for you to do it now (don't bother with the 10AWG present) as you should go at least 400 watts in the future.

Just my opinion.....................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Just wondering, can new wire go through the same hole in the roof or does it normally get a new path? If it is run in addition to the old wire, why not wait to run the larger wire when it is needed?

Thanks!

Jason
Roguegaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguegaston View Post
Just wondering, can new wire go through the same hole in the roof or does it normally get a new path? If it is run in addition to the old wire, why not wait to run the larger wire when it is needed?

Thanks!

Jason
Jason,

Your larger wire is run thru a hole drilled into the corner of your forward closet on the inside. This will allow you to pull up to a 2AWG cable directly up to your combiner box. Seal after you are done.

The remaining inside wire is run down thru the closet to the back, down the back of your drawer stash and into the forward compartment. This will give you the desires solar wire to hook up your combiner box to your solar controller.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by neck101 View Post
But before I get to that, I know the 26 comes with a macerating toilet...other than using more water than the standard "drop and release" type, anyone having problems with these?
More water? I don't think so. The 26 uses that toilet because the toilet is behind the axles and the black tank is in front of the axles. The drain pipe has six 90 degree bends before getting to the tank, up and over the wheel well. So far I've done everything possible to avoid using it seriously.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Mollysdad,
Yes I am aware of the plumbing route, and the reason for it, having seen yours and others previous posts on this. I also remember someone stating that because of it's design (electrical), it uses more programmed water on each flush as compared with the controllable amount with the standard foot pedal.

As to your comment above, are you saying the opposite of that? And I'm also not sure I understand the very end of your post...do you not use your toilet much, and if so why?

I'm asking this because it may have some bearing on my trailer selection.
Thanks