Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
Lake Oswego , Oregon
FB or rear bed

OK. I assume this subject has exhaustive discussion. We are selling our vacation home to become a streamer. The model we would like is the 27' Flying Cloud or the International Signature. The only configuration is a FB. I'm OK with that but my bride has concerns. I see pros and cons. Anyone with practical experience please weigh in. And any comments regarding Flying Cloud vs International would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Ridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You will get better info by doing a search. This has been discussed exhaustively on this forum and you will see many more opinions by looking at what has already been said. Bottom line is people like what they have, regardless.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
The only option for rear bed in that length is the 28 or 26U.

We don't care for the International dark cabinetry and I'm not a fan of the sliding cabinets. The Serenity is lighter cabinetry but after seeing one in person I'm not that hot on it either.

Our favorite cabinetry is the older Classic hickory which is no longer offered. We didn't know it was our favorite until we toured new model FC and Internationals.

If you decide on the 28 the Flying Cloud has cabinets over the dinette table while International has the oval windows. I'd miss the storage.

To get the most wardrobe storage the 27fb twin has two hanging wardrobes in the bedroom as well as the large hall wardrobe.

The 28 doesn't have a microwave unless you get the convection oven/microwave option in place of the gas oven. The 27 has the microwave and the gas oven. The 28 doesn't have a slide out pantry like the 27. Some owners have modified the hall wardrobe to a pantry in the 28 but then you are stuck with limited wardrobe in the bedroom.

The only downside to the rear entry of the 27 vs the front entry of the 28 is you might be able to get into a shorter campsite by sticking the rear end out past the end of the site driveway while you can't do that with the rear entry.

I have a 25fb and like the rear entry because a lot of campsites near me back up to a lake so we have a nice view while eating but its not a deal breaker.

The 26U has the front U dinette. Has a nice bathroom but it seems a little claustrophobic to me due to the bathroom taking up so much space. The 26U now comes in twins but from photos it seems you loose the big wardrobe.

Kelvin
Old 07-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Here's the URL to a fairly recent FB/RB debate thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...om-153344.html

I've had both and really enjoy the front bedroom. I didn't think I would - used to sit in the dinette in front and watch people go by. Now I sit in the dinette in back and look at a nice view.
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
There is no substitute for sitting in the rig and working out how you would live, travel, and sleep in the coach.

If the International gave you a high end coach, I would say, go for it. In my mind, it does not. The question is does it give you that impression. We like the flipper doors on the FC. We wanted a coach new and now. The lower price of a FC was attractive. We wanted a double sink. The International had that lobster pot. But if you like the sliding doors and the single sink, maybe it works better for you. Better counters is a really nice feature.

Also, there are other considerations. How big a refrigerator, is a microwave needed, is the storage sufficient, and do I like the view are all considerations. For most things, there are compromises and fixes. A fold down work surface, an after-market mattress, a set of drawers in the hanging locker, boxes to control gear, and cocking the rig for a better view are common examples. However, the basic configuration and the features that you can not be a compromise for you must be key in your search.

Some folks can change coaches when what they buy one and it is not functional for them. Other folks can't, because the cost is too high. We all approach the problem with our own twist.

Front vs rear bed - what about a front bed is a concern? From a noise perspective, the front can be tucked in behind a big SOB fifth wheel to block traffic noise. A rear bed will hang out in the drive where the noise is not inhibited. A rear bed gets you immediate access to the coach through a front door and lets you watch the world go by from a front seating location. The choice is yours.

Read the other threads. The comments help. Understand what you like and what you find problematic to you. Does the toilet location work for you? Is the shower convenient or a hassle to use because it is not private enough. Is there enough storage? Is the storage in the right place? Front beds have a lot of storage under, but that storage adds weight to the tongue which is less than perfect. But under the front bed is a good location for batteries if you want to add capacity and get the weight off the tongue. This all depends on your present and future plans. A lot to consider.

After sitting in it, get outside and walk around. Look at it from all angles. The boating folks call it the row away factor. It helps if you like the look of your coach. Just realize that the final solution has to store your gear and give you a good night's sleep.

It helps to read the input of folks who have had both. They have a unique perspective. But in the end it is your unique perspective that counts.

Good luck with your search. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Personal choice. Until recently I would of said, rear until I saw the the 26U with the front bedroom. Looks like a very livable layout with either bed configuration.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
On the International vs. Flying Cloud choice, I'd ask how tall you are.
Our 19' was an International with the sliding door upper cabinets. The 27' is a SafariSE with the flip up doors.
I'm 6'2" - I can't tell you how many times I've hit my head. Basically, the doors cannot stay open - I open to get what I need and keep one hand on the door until I close it.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
Our 19' was an International with the sliding door upper cabinets. The 27' is a SafariSE with the flip up doors.
I'm 6'2" - I can't tell you how many times I've hit my head. Basically, the doors cannot stay open - I open to get what I need and keep one hand on the door until I close it.
Sounds like you should replace the spring mechanism that holds the doors open. Our 2015 FC 27 FB does not have this issue.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
FC vs International

We prefer the FC for the overhead cabinets. In the Internationals everything is behind sliding opaque glass. The cabinets have lighting to give off some kind of "cool" ambiance. The reality, we would imagine, is that the stuff you store in these cabinets would be rather easily seen. And, by having to slide the glass to one side and then to another you never really have full open access to the cabinet. On ours we lift the door, take out what we need and simply close it. Everything remains out of sight. I do believe that the new Classics have the same style of doors on the cabinets as the FC.

I am a fan of the FB. Where we camp almost 95% of the time the view is out the back. We sit at our table in the morning, have coffee and enjoy the vista.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
-- snip -- I've hit my head. -- snip --
Fair comment. On our 23, the flippers are over dinette, the bed and the galley. These are areas where it is not easy to walk under the door when open. There are a couple of times that I have bumped my head on the ones over the galley. We usually close the flips after getting what we need from them. The one issue that continues to be problematic is the AV cabinet. The items stored there become stacked against the door and fall out when the door is opened. We pack those items in a bag to limit this problem. No configuration is perfect, but we believe the flips give better visual access, a bit more physical access and some flexibility in storage capacity. That's code for "you can stuff more stuff in them."

Good luck with the investigation. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Sounds like you should replace the spring mechanism that holds the doors open. Our 2015 FC 27 FB does not have this issue.

Mike
I think my comment wasn't clear :-)
The springs work fine. I meant that I can't leave them open and walk away because an open cabinet door is eye gouge or head bang for me.

I open them, keep my hand on the door, get out what I need, and shut it immediately..
Old 07-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Akron , Ohio
I just went through this decision with a 25 footer. I read all of the post and watched tons of videos regarding the bedroom configuration and models. What I discovered is that you really need to go see both and spend some time in the trailer. As stated, the different configurations in the bedrooms have other impacts on the floor plan that are more significant in reality than you might think, especially storage. Once I was in both, the decision was a no brainer for me. Same for the decor.
robi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Ambassador
2014 27' FB Classic
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Our 2014 27FB Classic Limited has the same issue with the flip up doors. I am planning on replacing the cheap plastic spring rods with gas struts that will also allow the doors to open higher so I can see in them without bending down. I am 6' 4" and my wife is 5' 11" and she also wants them opening higher. Love the solid hickory cabinet doors but they are too much for those springs.

As for FB or RB. We love the FB design. I never liked the front view of our old '79 Ambassador. Didn't really care to look out at our truck or the road in front of the camp site. Now we look out at the water or mountains by having the view out the back.

As others have said, you really need to get in the units and play our scenarios of what it would be like camping in the rig. Go through the motions of where everything would be, what things would look like when you are inside the trailer looking out, daily interactions of moving around the rig.

One thumbs up I will give the FB models is the door swings to the rear. We didn't lock the door one time when traveling in our old '79 and it swung open going down the road. Of course once the wind caught it, it flew back with pretty good force and bent the door pretty well. I was able to get it back in shape but it was a pain.
rdepas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hartsburg , Missouri
We bought a 2016 27 FC with the front queen bed this spring and have been very happy. As others have suggested you need to go to a dealer and spend time sitting in the different models. We made two separate trips to a dealer and spent hours there each time. One of the things that hooked us on our Airstream was the rear dinette with the panoramic windows. We also like being able to lie in the front bed and look down the isle and out the rear windows.
Equalizer Hitch
fran&frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Front or rear bed?

We have owned 3- 25', AS's. First was rear bed 2006 Safari with nice L-couch in front and separate dining, like a 28' has. Loved the configuration when we purchased. Problem was bed was too small at 48" wide, bath was cramped, and many times while camping, the view was in the rear, where the bed/bath were. We then bought a 2008' front bed, which had been modified from queen to twin, and had some additional "modifications", which proved to be not done so well. We found we enjoyed the rear lounge/eating set up, but we sold after 2 seasons due to some issues. We purchased a new 25' FC FB Twin in 2014. We enjoy that the twins have extra dressing area between beds, they are wide at 34' each (queen is only 60 inches wide), the extra storage you get with the twin inside and outside (3 compartments outside), the view out the rear is great, and maneuverability of the 25', pulling with our short bed F150. When we get our next unit, it likely will be another 25'FC FB, Twin, but with ducted air. We would like to see AS extend the U-shape dining area in the 26U, to other units going forward....wishful thinking, but to us seems so practical vs the current lounge set up. For us, a 25', FB Twin works great!

International vs FC: we don't care for the sliding cabinet doors in the International models; we do like the corean counter tops vs formica; but is it worth $7-10K more?
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The choice is 25 FB or 25 RB, and 27 FB or 28 RB. I think the interior layout in either favors RB models, and they work better on the outside. With pano's front and rear, never a bad view. We chose RB, set it up the way we wanted it and after 1,000 nights camping in it wouldn't have it any other way. (Traveling throughout the country, staying in many campgrounds, I can tell you the view out the back can be much less than idyllic.)

However, pick the one you like, you'll be satisfied with what you have like everybody else.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
as far as I can tell the big difference is which end the entry door is on. In looking at the floor plans recently I tend toward the FB but I can't even really tell you why other than that I think I like that the door is on the back end of the trailer.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:20 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
We prefer the FC for the overhead cabinets. In the Internationals everything is behind sliding opaque glass. The cabinets have lighting to give off some kind of "cool" ambiance. The reality, we would imagine, is that the stuff you store in these cabinets would be rather easily seen. And, by having to slide the glass to one side and then to another you never really have full open access to the cabinet. On ours we lift the door, take out what we need and simply close it. Everything remains out of sight. I do believe that the new Classics have the same style of doors on the cabinets as the FC.

I am a fan of the FB. Where we camp almost 95% of the time the view is out the back. We sit at our table in the morning, have coffee and enjoy the vista.

Ditto to this one. I thought I wanted a rear bed, but really like the front bed and the roomy access to cabinets in the Flying Cloud.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:42 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
We chose the FB for our 25' Flying Cloud. Our reasoning was that we preferred to have the great views sitting in the lounge area in the rear where we would be backed in to most spots. If your bed is in the rear, you don't really see the views when lying down. And who wants to look at the rear of your TV if the lounge is up front? But, to each his own :-)
D2LLIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by D2LLIO View Post
. . . And who wants to look at the rear of your TV if the lounge is up front? But, to each his own :-)
Who spends time in a campsite hooked up to the tow vehicle, maybe overnight at Walmart but that viewing is, well you know.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote