Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Fasten microwave.

I have the small Contoure microwave on the pull out drawer. For me it works fine, except the microwave is just sitting on the shelf, and moves around. Not so much driving, but even pushing the buttons makes it shift.
So I decided it needs to be anchored to the platform.
Anyone tackle this?
Plan A was two rubber doorstops jammed in the gap at the right of the microwave. That worked great until I actually drove, and they shifted.
Plan B, not yet started, is to use a right angle bracket at the back of the microwave to utilize the existing screws in the microwave, and fasten it to the shelf.

I've even considered ring magnets fastened to the shelf.

I'll bet someone has a better idea. Screws up from the bottom? It's a tight fit, so I can't just pick it up and turn it over.
Obviously, if I can avoid taking the microwave apart, that's a plus.

Contoure/Tappan seems to be invisible on the internet except for a sales brochure.

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Mine doesn't move. Without looking and just guessing I'd say yours is missing whatever clamp or bracket is supposed to be holding it in place. Before you do anything I'd call the factory or perhaps the dealer. Factory is a better option and the phone call is easy just to ask the questions.

AlanMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #3

2017 25' International
Grass Valley , California
We have a 2018 GT. On our first shakedown trip bringing it home the microwave drawer piped open while driving and the oven crashed to the ground, destroying it. It was a bummer to be sure. I have thought about securing the oven with two straps of nylon webbing with Velcro on the middle, joining ends run laterally (around the sides) and other ends secured with something like a D-ring. That or child-proof cabinet locks.
KenMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Fasten microwave.

“Footman loops” work nice with flat straps and have two screw holes to tie them down. Wide variety of sizes and finishes on Amazon, for one.

Have a look. I use them to hold stuff like oven, fridge and wardrobe door shut in my 22’ international CCD.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
We have used thick yoga mats (cut up) on the shelves (and other areas) to keep thing from shifting. They have a double-sided non-slip texture.

On Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenMcD View Post
We have a 2018 GT. On our first shakedown trip bringing it home the microwave drawer piped open while driving and the oven crashed to the ground, destroying it..
I've heard the horror stories like yours. So I fashioned a dowel about the distance from the door to the opposite wall, in my case, the bathroom door. Then I put rubber crutch tips on each end. Mine is about 26", but it was a case of "trim to fit".
Now when I leave, I just jam that stick in the hallway.
My drawer never opened underway, so this is just double insurance.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:47 AM   #7
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We owned a 2017 27' international with a pullout microwave with the same issue. We took it to JC to see what they thought.

It appears as if the design to hold the microwave on the drawer was simple and effective. Ours was missing the key part, what looked like a chalkboard eraser! JC installed the "eraser" above the microwave on the ceiling of the compartment holding the microwave. The eraser pushes down on the microwave as it slides out. When you push it back in, the eraser applies pressure to the top of the microwave holding it from moving in the cabinet.

It works.

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Ours was missing the key part, what looked like a chalkboard eraser! JC installed the "eraser" above the microwave on the ceiling of the compartment holding the microwave. The eraser pushes down on the microwave as it slides out.
Brilliant!

I liked my idea of a large ring magnet under each foot of the unit. I'd screw the magnets to the bottom of the drawer. But I Googled microwaves and magnets and discovered some people whose microwaves quit working when they applied magnets to the side to hold notes, etc.
Who knew?

"Footman Loops". I heard this term and finally looked it up. After decades of boating, I've used them to fasten straps from biminis and other canvas. I never heard them called Footman Loops. I learn something every day.
In the marine world, they're called "eye straps".
Old 01-15-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Brilliant!

I liked my idea of a large ring magnet under each foot of the unit. I'd screw the magnets to the bottom of the drawer. But I Googled microwaves and magnets and discovered some people whose microwaves quit working when they applied magnets to the side to hold notes, etc.
Who knew?
I wondered about that. The device that generates the microwaves is a magnetron. The external magnet disrupts the flow of the microwaves. And the bigger the magnet, the bigger the problem.

Much like the effect of magnets on CRT televisions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
"Footman Loops". I heard this term and finally looked it up. After decades of boating, I've used them to fasten straps from biminis and other canvas. I never heard them called Footman Loops. I learn something every day.
In the marine world, they're called "eye straps".
I had to look it up too. I've used them with pickup tonneau covers and other applications, but didn't know what to call them.

Now I have a name that is useful for finding them.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I must admit to taking days to find the correct search term to find the blessed things. Huge variety of sizes, materials and finishes once you get the right name...

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote