Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2017, 06:25 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
My opinion is that you would not be happy with that as the best solution.

Why? Literally a 12 x 12 tent has more square footage than the 16 bambi.

But more importantly, in my opinion, the biggest shortcoming to the 16 is system capacity, counterspace, and storage capacity.

System capacity. The fresh water and waste water system is not adequate for multiple users for multiple days. We have a 22 sport with nearly double the waste capacity. It works great for 2 of us for a weekend. Perfect. 2 showers-1 a day each, do the dishes 3-4 times. Never had issues. But when our 2 daughters came along for an extended trip last summer, even with the 22 we had to drain gray water and refill fresh water daily. With the 16 you can't just drain "gray" water. Since there is only 1 waste tank, its ALL black water by definition. Really think about that. Would you enjoy (after all, this is for enjoyment) draining that into a temporary holding tank and wheeling it to the sanitary dump station, and keeping that clean? Because if you want to use the kitchen and the bathroom for more than a day or 2 you will be either breaking camp to dump the tank or draining into a portable waste tank.

Counterspace and storage. Do you have room to do meal prep, wash dishes, work on small projects, or do computer work inside, while the airstream is occupied by all of you? Think about this as well. Where will you keep/store enough food for a week trip, clothes and shoes for 4 people, pots/pans, plates, utensils, outdoor items, maps, books, flashlights, dvds, foil and baggies, cleaning supplies, toiletries for 4 people (not very good storage in that bathroom--you need to assume any items kept there will be sprayed with water when someone showers. How will you shave, fix hair, do makeup/sunscreen, put in contacts. Make a list of what you will use IN the trailer. Can you put it all away IN the trailer? If not, then you will be dragging a lot of things back and forth. Maybe in the dark, maybe in the rain. This is why you are getting away from the tent isn't it? Really consider the physical space for the items your family will want and need.

With 4 people, the art of housekeeping becomes quite important. If you are not able to put things away so everything is organized,it is very unnerving. Additionally, with so little counter and floorspace, you probably won't have space to prep, cook, and do dishes if your plan is to keep things out. And for towing everything must be stowed in any event.

I have no idea about your style of travel and camping. I just want to point out these areas for you to chew on. Maybe the 16 is a good choice for you. I do know that after I looked at these considerations, we changed our minds about it.

Best of luck,

Once again, very good advice and well said piggy bank
Old 02-02-2017, 07:18 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
If I had the perfect family...ie: everyone gets along...I could camp in a cardboard box. My aunt and uncle had a VW camper van, and traveled all over the country...with three daughters. So yes you can do it. The important part, no matter what you have, is to get out there, and experience nature. Much better than watching the Super Bowl......did I just say Super Bowl? You will remember ALL of your camping trips...Super Bowls....who won last year? I remember Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction at halftime, like it was yesterday.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:14 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Interesting Concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Of course you COULD do it. But as the kids get older you are going to have severe sibling issues in a space that small. We have a 19' Bambi and it's fine for us two and Abbey our Standard Schnauzer, but add 2 more people and it's pretty cozy .. even if they are just stopping by to say "Hey"... I can't imagine 4 people staying in it. And the 16' would be even worse for more than 2 people and a pet. The common black/gray water tank alone would be inadequate. Go to a dealer and get inside them to see what you think...ultimately it's up to you!
Like Terry says, you COULD do it. Chances are nobody would enjoy camping in short order and it might result in a family that doesn't want to camp anymore.

Given your history, though, if you used the trailer for only cooking and bathroom emergencies, used the bed for storage and slept in a tent outside while eating at the dinette only in the rain, it might work and be somewhat more workable than what you are doing now.

One longer term benefit is that when the kids get older, you have a trailer that the two of you could use as long as you weren't expecting luxury. Every time I look at something and say, "It can't possibly get any more expensive" I am proven wrong.

Overall, however, I think it is sheer folly.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Echoing suggestions to go sit in similar models at a dealer [the entire family], and imagine being trapped inside in the pouring rain for hours and hours and hours.

Also suggest buying a good used unit if possible, over a new one.

Personally, I cannot imagine getting the 16' -- "sheer folly" in a recent post seems to cover it IMO.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My personal thought is that it is too small. As was suggested above, take the whole family there and try to do all of the normal things.

More importantly, though, why are you looking at a new tow vehicle and a new trailer? You are risking a LOT of money if this doesn't work. Buying a used trailer and tow vehicle greatly reduces your initial expense. If, after the first night, you decide that this won't work at all, you can trade the trailer for another used one, only larger. Buy a tow vehicle that can handle a larger trailer than what you think you will end up with. Don't go with length - go with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and figure that 15% of that number will be your tongue (hitch) weight. That's the weight that actually will be carried by the rear axle of your tow vehicle. There are several threads about that.

BTW, when we first decided that maybe full-timing might be for us, we bought a 19' Heartland mpg travel trailer. We only used it, really, a few times, although there were a couple of 2-3 week trips. This was only two of us (plus a cat) and once our adult daughter was with us for a few days. Those trips were enough to tell us that, yes, we wanted to full-time and we definitely needed a larger coach.

My suggestion for you is that you rethink your needs and wants. Go look at some other, used, trailers for your first experiences. Buy a little larger truck and figure that you will trade trailers a couple of times before you get it right.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:04 PM   #46
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Just a note on the 16' Bambi's combined black and gray-water tank.

We camped all over the place in our small Bambi, across many weeks and miles each year, and had a problem of overflow only once. You just keep your eye on the monitor, and when boondocking (i. e., without hookups) in a public campground, you can use the campground facilities. That's what people do in micro-trailers and vans with no bathroom on board. Save the on-board toilet for middle-of-the-night relief.

In a really remote area, you can probably create your own discrete latrine if need be.

Similarly, line the sink with a plastic dishpan, wash up, and then dump the gray water appropriately outside or in the restroom's utility sink.

We did a lot of desert camping in the 16-footer, and still do in our 19-footer, and got pretty savvy about conserving both fresh water and waste water tank space.

A lot of the success of the small Bambi, however, is in spending a lot of time outdoors. On a pleasant summer day, it's where you want to be, anyhow. For a rainy day, think of indoor games, books, or even a hike for the kids with rain gear on. The awning helps provide a bit more dry living space unless it's a big downpour.

I could go on in this fashion, but if we were planning on 'streaming as a family of 4, we'd ideally look for a gently used unit of 23' or more, because it would provide another sleeping space and more elbow room. We'd also get a crew-cab truck with a cap on the back for all of the camping gear. (Will you take along the kids' bikes? Folding chairs? Fishing gear or some kind of outdoor sporting gear? Extra luggage?)

We towed Bambi the First with a Tacoma, and now have a Tundra for Bambi the Second.

Having said that, the sixteener is a really sweet little space, but a new one can cost more than a larger used unit in reasonably good nick.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:04 AM   #47
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Spend a rainy week inside a 16' with your family....
Betting you will want something bigger at the end of night 1
We have been fultiming for 6 years with 4 kids 2 dogs and 2 parents. This gets tight in a 34' and we live very light!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Family of four in a Sport 16: efficient or insane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Spend a rainy week inside a 16' with your family....
Betting you will want something bigger at the end of night 1
We have been fultiming for 6 years with 4 kids 2 dogs and 2 parents. This gets tight in a 34' and we live very light!

I can't even imagine living in an Airstream of any size with 8 people and 2 dogs. What do you have pulling that thing, a school bus?

OTOH, not everyone wants the comforts of a medium to large sized Airstream; for example, the family of three I mentioned in my earlier post who are still delighted after 2-3 years with their VW camping van. YMMV, as they say.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:45 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
N Vancouver , British Columbia
Send a message via Skype™ to e2girardin
We are a family with 2 kids and bought our first ever trailer; 23 CB Bunk this past year. Our typical trips are 2-4 days and we usually don't go longer than 1 week at a time. I can understand longer for those that are doing long trips and parking for longer periods of time, but we like go to a variety of places and feel like we are in nature (vs. an RV parking lot).

All that said, we are now looking to downsize to either a 19CB bunk or possibly a 16 Sport. Have not had any issues towing or getting around with the 23 (using a WDH), but we find more planning is needed with a longer trailer as most of the national parks (and private campgrounds) are booked well in advance. We like the flexibility to pick and go and not have to plan to go somewhere specific 3 months from now, and have found the last minute (i.e. a few weeks out) spots are usually 18' or under. Also, most of our friends have either a small trailer under 19' or are tent camping so we become a limiting factor to locations we can access with our AS.

If we were doing longer trips and able to plan further out, the 23' would be perfect for us and would highly recommend for a family of 4. And if you have young kids (our are 5 and 2) the bunk is definitely the way to go! My boy loves it so much that it's one of the main reasons we are thinking of going to 19' (Sport doesn't have bunk option).
e2girardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #50
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
We are four in a 25FB and it's TIGHT. It's not all the people... it's all the stuff they leave laying about. Kids are not great a picking up, so every door and drawer will unopenably bump into shoes, clothes will be tossed and hung everywhere, making and unmaking beds will take up space.

16 is too small. Go bigger.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:30 PM   #51
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Having owned a 16' Bambi and now a 19' Bambi, we do believe that small is beautiful. We are a couple of seniors with one large dog. I think as your children get older and lots bigger, a smaller unit might not work so well for you.

I don't know what your TV is, but we have a Tundra with a roomy crew cab, plus a cap (topper, canopy) on the truck bed. It provides ample room for out camping and paddling gear. Thankfully, as the 16' Bambi has only limited storage space, a wet bath, and an under-the-counter fridge. The 19' has a dry bath and a bit more storage. But I would suggest if you do consider a new purchase, that you really determine where everything for 4 people is going to go.

We deliberately stayed small to get into those tight spots in some of the wilder campgrounds, but then our kids are grown.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:36 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
2 of us started in a 16' Shasta with one Leonberger and a Leonberger puppy.

As he grew bigger, we ran out of room. He is 120lbs now. 30' International works and we can handle one or two grandchildren if needed.

Insane. Kids take more room than dogs.
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #53
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Find a good deal on a used 20' flying cloud or 22' sport and you will be much happier. But, in a lot of instances smaller is better. We went with a 20' Flying Cloud because we wanted a little more space than the smallest options, but also want to have more options for staying in national parks, which is a priority for us. Also, think about how you want to camp. If you treat your camper like a glorified tent (how we like to) you will be very happy with any size. Its a great place to sleep and stay out of bad weather, even if a little cozy. But, don't look at a 16' as a way to save money, spring for a 19' 20' or 22' and I think you'll be a little happier.
flaucheux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
insane

22FB sport
or a 23 higher models is a minimum

the 16 is too small and too tight

16' Bambi's combined black and gray-water tank
the gray only tank in the 22FB is two small for the two of us.

two showers and a load of dishes fills the grey
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #55
Len and Jeanne

2015 19' Flying Cloud
We did a lot of camping in a 16' Bambi. We developed a number of methods for conserving the waste water tank. The main one was taking a couple of plastic rectangular tubs into the shower-- the kind used to wash dishes. One went on the toilet seat, and one on the floor to stand in. We also brought in a non-breakable cup. The tubs captured most of the water, which could be re-used for rinsing with the cup. When the shower was done, we tossed the gray water outside or in the campground's utility sink.

We also washed dishes in the plastic tubs, and disposed of the water, ditto.

We used the toilet sparingly when there were other options on site.

We had a full waste water tank only once, with this system.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I was just looking at a 16 that was at our campsite and I would have to say it would be to small and cramped especially on a rainy day. I would recommend 22 to at least 25 feet. There is really very little room to move around in it
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote