Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
OBTW, this post could be seen as "incredibly dismissive" and "insulting". (To the incredibly thin-skinned.)
I am not sure if I should be insulted or not. Maybe "wing-nuts" means something else in Canadian slang and I do not want to appear as incredibility thin skinned.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-04-2015, 07:43 PM   #62
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I am not sure if I should be insulted or not. Maybe "wing-nuts" means something else in Canadian slang and I do not want to appear as incredibility thin skinned.
We're probably not "civilized" enough to figure out when we've been insulted.

(OK, I'm finished.)
Old 07-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #63
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I wish our border crossings were as tight........
Old 07-04-2015, 08:01 PM   #64
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Its been a long while since school but I believe The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms specifically grants religious freedom like our First Amendment. The biggest difference I recall is their 'fundamental rights' apply to everybody in the country, citizen or not. Ours apply to citizens.

I understand gun possession in Canada is viewed as a "privilege" that is regulated and licensed. However, I could be wrong on both accounts.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:06 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vancouver , British Columbia
When I started prosecuting in the 70s the only people Canadian Immigration targeted where peolpe in Airstreams, because they brought guns into Canada. We still do not want guns here. Hopefully people respect that. Hopefully our reputation has changed. Hopefully all you visitors can help it change.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
It may refer to this:

WND - RationalWiki

Or this:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=wing+nutz

Remember I didn't write this, I just researched it

Ken
Old 07-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #67
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
(I'm finding it very difficult staying "finished". LOL!!!!)

I don't care what "label" they try to put on it. The un-"civilized" men and women who started this country were called nuts, insurgents, terrorists, traitors, etc.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
This is an important thread for Airstream-traveling American gun-owners. And there are a LOT of us! Thankfully.

We are well-educated, well-bred, successful, well-respected, law-abiding Americans who always travel with handguns and shotguns in whatever RV we happen to have. We may wish to visit a target range, do some clays shooting, or (hopefully not) defend ourselves at any given time.

It just makes good sense to be able to properly defend your family and yourself, should the unexpected, unlikely, very dark moment arise. The police, God bless them, just can't be wherever you might happen to be, the MOMENT you need them, to protect you. It's up to you to be able to defend your family and yourself.

Our brilliant Constitution grants us the right to bear arms and defend ourselves. God Bless America and HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY, my friends!

We love Canada. And will abide by their laws when going to Canada. I would check my handguns at a nearby USA border gunsmith, get the Canadian permit for a shotgun, and head into Canada with a wonderfully capable shotgun! Works for me.

Those with "attitudes" toward Americans or law-abiding gun owners should check them at the door.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDog View Post
When I started prosecuting in the 70s the only people Canadian Immigration targeted where peolpe in Airstreams, because they brought guns into Canada. We still do not want guns here. Hopefully people respect that. Hopefully our reputation has changed. Hopefully all you visitors can help it change.
If this is supposed to be joke, ha ha!

If not it is some pretty low life profiling.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDog View Post
Yeah... disgraceful profiling of Airstreamers from America. Quite a few RVers in America, Airstream and especially otherwise, travel with firearms. And the overwhelming majority of them are upstanding, respectable, law-abiding citizens!

We Americans in the Southwest might make comments about visitors from the north during winter, but that "wouldn't be prudent".

American gun owners who travel to Canada should familiarize themselves with the legal process for entering Canada with shotguns.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
And will abide by their laws when going to Canada. I would check my handguns at a nearby USA border gunsmith, get the Canadian permit for a shotgun, and head into Canada with a wonderfully capable shotgun! Works for me.
Interesting idea. I wonder if anyone here has ever done this and how did it work out.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:49 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Interesting idea. I wonder if anyone here has ever done this and how did it work out.
I haven't done it, but it is quite common for gunsmiths to "take in" a firearm for cleaning, adjusting, repair, etc. I would just find a gunsmith near the border, ask them to take in my handguns "for cleaning", pay them a modest fee, keep a shotgun with me (with permit), and then head into Canada.

What a perfect solution to not having to leave your handguns at home, in the event that you might want to venture into Canada during a trip. And, still be able to have a very capable defense weapon with you in the coach!

Happy 4th of July, my fellow Americans!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Guns I have no need for. But food I do. Travelling into Canada no one has ever asked me about food or looked through my car or trailer. Alcohol on the other hand is the one consistent question I always get. Travelling into the US I always get my trailer inspected and sometimes my car and they always ask about food especially fruit and vegetables. And it changes every year and sometimes several times a year. I've gotten a few warnings for forgetting to declare some lime in my fridge or my Salami on my sandwich. Now I just tell them I don't have a clue whats in fridge knock yourself out and check (this was the advice of the boarder guard in regard to the last time this happened). I don't try to sneak anything in nor do I intentionally not tell them them, but sometimes I just don't remember what I have. So now it is easier to accept the fact that they are going to go through the coach and check for themselves and I don't have to worry about a fine or a warning.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I like the idea. Will have to keep it in mind when I make my journey north.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:53 PM   #75
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Arizona is one of my favorite places. I have spent some time in Tucson. Great place! Tombstone was fun!!
Old 07-04-2015, 08:57 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
I like the idea. Will have to keep it in mind when I make my journey north.
Michael... I have no doubt that it would not be difficult to arrange this with any number of gunsmiths near the border. Just be sure you get the permit to bring the shotgun into Canada so you are legal! Don't want to be without that! And don't want to break any laws. Keep it honest; keep it legal.

Quote:
Arizona is one of my favorite places. I have spent some time in Tucson. Great place! Tombstone was fun!!
PaulnGina... Tucson is a favorite place for us. And Tombstone is such a hoot! How amazing to walk the same dirt streets that those legendary, historic people walked, and where that historic gunfight took place. It's pretty cool. And thankfully, that place is preserved much as it was in the days of Doc Holiday and Wyatt Earp. The "Wild West" is fading more every year, but the history is still being well preserved.

There are so many other awesome, inspiring places here... Sedona, Grand Canyon, Slot Canyons, on and on.

We moved here from Washington State two years ago when I retired from my photography business. It's been the most wonderful experience. We had spent two winters here in previous years in our motorhome and so-quickly grew to love the environment, the culture, the politics, the history, the "independent spirit" from the liberal Federal government, the architecture, and the weather. "It's good to be here!"

Now that we've lived here (North Scottsdale) on the edge of the Sonoran Desert for two years, we still wake up every morning, draw open the dark drapes, gaze out into the desert and pinch ourselves to be sure it's real. We're loving it. It feels like we're staying, full-time, at a "desert resort." View from the bedroom porch:

"Getting away" in the RV is not quite the draw that it once was. But of course, we still love travel and RVing.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #77
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Sounds awesome!

One of my favorite places to eat is El Charro in downtown Tucson.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:11 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Sounds awesome!

One of my favorite places to eat is El Charro in downtown Tucson.
There's a dumpy, little Taco place near the University, in Tucson, called "The Taco Shop". I think it's on Broadway or Speedway... can't remember for sure.

It's open 24-7... and most of the customers are university students. The tacos are a little on the greasy side and SO DELICIOUS!!! I can't resist stopping there for some tacos, no matter when I last ate. As we always say when in Tucson and near The Taco Shop, "there's always room for a taco!"
Old 07-04-2015, 09:16 PM   #79
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
How about "Mi Nidito - The Finest Mexican Restaurant in Tucson, Arizona"????

The only restaurant I've been to that had it's own policeman monitoring the parking lot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
There's a dumpy, little Taco place near the University, in Tucson, called "The Taco Shop". I think it's on Broadway or Speedway... can't remember for sure.

It's open 24-7... and most of the customers are university students. The tacos are a little on the greasy side and SO DELICIOUS!!! I can't resist stopping there for some tacos, no matter when I last ate. As we always say when in Tucson and near The Taco Shop, "there's always room for a taco!"
Old 07-04-2015, 09:21 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
How about "Mi Nidito - The Finest Mexican Restaurant in Tucson, Arizona"????

The only restaurant I've been to that had it's own policeman monitoring the parking lot!!
Wow.. never heard of that, nor been there. Tucson is as safe a place as any; I wonder why they would have a parking lot policeman? Perhaps they had some car break-ins at one time?

Will have to check it out next time we're in Tucson. it's about 1 1/2 hour drive for us from home, so pretty quick little "get away".
Closed Thread