Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 09:27 PM   #81
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Can You Go to Canada with a DUI?

Going back to the original post notion of being aware of Canadian rules so you won't be surprised at the border - Be aware that a conviction (even a misdemeanor) for operating a motor vehicle under either alcohol or drug influence is grounds for entry denial. If not you, it could be your navigator who never drives the TV.

Unfortunately, getting into Canada with a DUI is not as simple as showing up at the border with a valid United States passport. If you have ever been arrested or convicted for driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, regardless of whether it was a misdemeanor or felony offense, you may be criminally inadmissible to Canada and denied entry regardless of whether or not you have any intention to drive while in the country.

Like a shotgun approval, there is a process for getting clearance but it requires advance preparation. Many have gone across without declaring their past, not been caught, and then discovered via an accident that they are in for a really big hassle due their failure to abide by the law.

You need a Criminal Rehabilitation approval. To be eligible to apply for Criminal Rehabilitation, 5 years minimum must have passed since the completion of your sentence which includes payment of fines, driving courses, community service, probation, and any other conditions which may have been imposed on you. The sticking point for some folks is the belief that a 9 year old conviction is old enough to be outside the rule - it is not. And, if you have one don't expect to get the other.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Some may wonder... "why travel with firearms?"

The answer is simple.

History teaches us that wherever you go, especially out on the open road, there will ALWAYS be some individuals who will unhesitatingly violate laws and prey on others around them, especially the seemingly defenseless. Many will effortlessly trade another's life for their selfish, short-term objectives. Happens every day, all around the world.

Law enforcement cannot be there by your side 24/7 to defend you. Therefore, if you don't wish to be an easy victim to violent criminals, it is encumbent upon you to be able to defend yourself.

Fortunately, the odds are that for most of us, having to defend ourselves in this way will never come about. But, will happen to a few of us. Many of us choose to take steps to be able to defend our families, and ourselves, against the possibility of encountering violent, selfish, lawless evil.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:34 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Failing to Declare Firearms at a Canadian Border Crossing

DHart:
You talk about getting a permit for your shotgun to allow you to have it in Canada. That's all great, but what do you plan on doing with it once you have it here? If you plan on using it for "defense" you better be prepared to defend your actions in a court of law. As our laws could see you in more trouble than the person your defending yourself from . Our self defense laws in Canada are a lot different than yours are in the states. So you better educate yourself on these realities before you go off half cocked.
Just saying.....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #84
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Exactly what Arcticfox just posted.

And before you even get to that stage, the Border Services agent can ask you why you want to import a firearm. You need to convince him or her, without discussing the scenario described above.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
DHart:
You talk about getting a permit for your shotgun to allow you to have it in Canada. That's all great, but what do you plan on doing with it once you have it here? If you plan on using it for "defense" you better be prepared to defend your actions in a court of law. As our laws could see you in more trouble than the person your defending yourself from . Our self defense laws in Canada are a lot different than yours are in the states.
Of course, one should always expect to support their actions before a court of law, in a confrontation with another... here in the States, as well as anywhere else. You'd better not pull a gun without having complete justification for doing so... no matter where you live.

Sounds like defending your life in Canada is frowned upon. I'd like to know more about that! Could be that having the shotgun "cleaned", along with the handguns, while visiting Canada is well worth considering. I'm very thankful to be an American.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:40 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
Well said Dhart!

Arcticfox: just as some Canadiens on this thread have stated their displeasure with the "ignorance" of SOME Americans of their country(Mounties, "EH", etc...) it seems SOME Canadiens are just as ignorant about gun carrying Americans.
Not all american gun owners are shooting people over parking spaces.

Also, In reading this thread I don't think I saw anyone mention boondocking in the beautiful Canadian country side with large wildlife.
I think if I was boondocking, I would much rather have a shotgun close by than a bottle of maple syrup....
Just sayin
Old 07-04-2015, 11:55 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehodg66 View Post
I think if I was boondocking, I would much rather have a shotgun close by than a bottle of maple syrup....
Just sayin
Especially when boon docking.

And aside from use in defense or hunting, shooting shotguns is just so dang much fun! They are probably my favorite firearm to enjoy.

And, for the record, responsible gun owners in America only consider pulling a firearm as a last resort, in a defense of human life situation. Firearms should NEVER be displayed or waved around as any opportunity to scare someone or in a fit of anger.

Even in the USA, just displaying a firearm in a manner which could be considered threatening, without just cause for doing so, will bring the law down on you. Firearms should only be used in defense as your last available option to save innocent life.

But if your life is being threatened and you have no other recourse, the law here allows legal force in defense of your or another's life, as it well should. And, of course, you would be expected to provide some evidence that you were responding to a threat of life.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:05 AM   #88
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I think that it is important to state that the desire to carry firearms and to have others carry firearms is far from universal in this country. Different polls vary with the country divided close to 50/50, varying from 60/40 to 40/60 depending on who's doing the polling. As one can see certain areas of the country are more pro gun than others. This has lately been the case for many hot button issues. I don't expect this to change anytime in the near future.

Ken
Old 07-05-2015, 12:46 AM   #89
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Sounds like defending your life in Canada is frowned upon. I'd like to know more about that!
All I was saying was that the laws in Canada are very different. It is illegal to carry a weapon for the purposes of self defence. No castle doctrine/stand your ground law. No right to use lethal force. You are allowed to use reasonable and necessary force to subdue an intruder.

On the up side, crime statistics and the number of gun deaths are very different.

Going boondocking in northern Canada, a shotgun for protection from wildlife may be seen as reasonable by a border services agent, as would transporting that shotgun through BC on the way to an Alaskan trip. But having a shotgun handy in an urban centre may not be seen as being so reasonable.

If a firearm is necessary or desired for travel through the US to the Canadian border, it may just be easier to check the firearm at a local shop on the US side and pick it up on the way back.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
As Americans it is our responsibility to ensure that we abide by other countries laws, even if they don't abide by ours. This is what makes us American to always do the right thing.

On the other hand, I travel in the USA fully arm and am going to Canada as my family is from Canada. It's is very beautiful place.

Happy 4th of July from Vietnam Veteran.
Welcome home!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Interesting idea. I wonder if anyone here has ever done this and how did it work out.

We have done it and it worked fine. We did have to pay $50.00 per weapon if I remember correctly.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
Old 07-05-2015, 06:12 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Interesting idea. I wonder if anyone here has ever done this and how did it work out.

When the wife and I drove up through Canada to Alaska and back two summers ago , we obeyed the Canadian firearms laws by traveling with a 12 gauge pump shotgun with buckshot and slugs for ammo . We contacted the RCMP ahead of time and they mailed us permit form to fill out ahead of time and payed the 25 dollar permit fee when first entering British Columbia from Montana. They never wanted to see the shotgun at all . I would hand the border guard the Canadian firearms permit every time we would reenter Canada and they were never concerned about it .
Old 07-05-2015, 07:32 AM   #93
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehodg66 View Post
Well said Dhart!

Arcticfox: just as some Canadiens on this thread have stated their displeasure with the "ignorance" of SOME Americans of their country(Mounties, "EH", etc...) it seems SOME Canadiens are just as ignorant about gun carrying Americans.
Not all american gun owners are shooting people over parking spaces.

Also, In reading this thread I don't think I saw anyone mention boondocking in the beautiful Canadian country side with large wildlife.
Just sayin

This almost laughable. You forget that your rights as a "gun carrying American" do not extend into Canada as your a GUEST.

We Canadian's don't care if you like our laws or if you feel they are fair. Your rights as an "gun carrying American" are parked at the boarder the second you cross. If one does not like that reality you can always choose not to cross....

So as for me being "ignorant" to your rights - you don't have any so get over it.

It's like going to visit someone who asks you not to smoke in their home. In that situation you have two options, don't smoke or don't go.

As for boondocking and needing protection from wildlife. Good luck with that defense. I have spent the majority of my adult life in northern Canada with a gun on my back and I can tell you that you better have a lot of evidence in your favor. As your now a non-resident shooting a bear (or what ever) because he scared you in the middle of the night......

Sorry (but in Canada) it would be less paperwork if you shot yourself.......lol

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #94
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Is this disdain for people from the USA prevalent in Canada??

I'm getting more and more enlightened about Canada as this thread goes on.

I'll say again that I think the USA and Canada are great countries.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My past experience with rude insulting Canadians in the past has actually been positive as generally they are so polite about it. Not so in this thread. Disappointed but not really surprised as the insults are going both ways. Frankly if you are unable to respect the laws and standards of another's country and home, stay home. Canadians need to understand that our country is being over run by illegal criminals from south of our border that have no respect for our laws. That is making some touchy on the subject.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #96
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
fort lauderdale , Florida
You need to read better Arcticfox !
I never said anything about Canadiens being "ignorant" of American gun rights OR disagreeing with the canadien gun laws.

My point is you and other Canadiens have a misconception that every gun carrying American is out to shoot someone.

Don't believe everything you see on the media driven news!

For someone who has spent a " majority of their adult life with a gun on their back" , you come across as very anti-gun or is it anti- American? Hmmmm

And yes, Anericans do have "rights" in Canada, just not the right to possess a handgun.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #97
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
I always find threads of this nature and on this subject interesting. While I am a staunch supporter of our second amendment rights, when travelling to another country I must follow the laws they have. I passed through Canada two years ago on a trip up the Alaska Highway to Alaska. The laws are straight forward as to what is required to possess a firearm while in Canada. It took about 5 minutes to pass through customs with a shotgun in my trailer. I had completed the required paperwork prior to arrival at the border. I had no Canadian money on arrival there but they do take plastic for the $25 fee for the temporary registration. Too often we see travelers believe they have the same rights in foreign countries that they have at home in the U.S. That is simply not the case.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:08 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I scanned all 7 pages of this thread but I didn't see anyone address the actual predicament of WHAT TO DO if you arrive at the Canadian border with a handgun in your trailer or motorhome.

My understanding, NOT guaranteed to be correct, is that you can drop it there and pick it back up if you are re-entering at the same border port. Arrive with it unloaded and zip-tied or disassembled such that it is clearly not operational. Declare it immediately, stating your knowledge of the law which says you cannot bring it in. Indicate that you knew this in advance which is the reason for your up-front declaration. I think they can give you a receipt and hold it in a locker until you come back for it.

Of course, such resources are not guaranteed at every border port. Class A ports probably, but I don't know about the rest. Phone in advance to get clarity from the actual border port and take down the name of the agent to whom you spoke.

FWIW, I'm a naturalized US citizen, having been born in Canada. I cross the border routinely although I have never attempted to declare a handgun in this way. Not yet but I may do it on next year's trip.

Additionally, it's worth mentioning that the list of prohibitions extends to other defensive weapons besides handguns. A few years ago I got detained for carrying one of those collapsible police batons (the actual item, not a knock-off). I'm from the east coast where coyotes have a track record of attacking backcountry hikers and so I had brought it for that reason. After long deliberations, the authorities informed me that they would PREFER to seize the baton, but that particular device was not called out by name in the Canadian code, and therefore they had no legal basis for seizure and they had to let me go. Would not surprise me if they have since fixed this loophole.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
As a Canadian I get asked about firearms every time I visit the USA. I used to bring my shotgun so I could shoot skeet with my DW's father in OK. Never a hassle until 911 went down. Now everyone entering your fair land armed is a potential terrorist. I would need so much documentation that it is not worth the hassle. I can't even buy ammo or components for reloading in the States to take home. US laws prohibit it. I can buy the same stuff here albeit for a higher price. I accept that. It's the law. rule #1: Obeying the law is a great way to stay out of trouble. Rule #2: If it's a stupid law (we have them and so do you) remember rule #1.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #100
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Is this disdain for people from the USA prevalent in Canada??

I'm getting more and more enlightened about Canada as this thread goes on.

I'll say again that I think the USA and Canada are great countries.
That answer is no - at least no more than the many perceived regional "opinions" we have about and within our own country:
  • Toronto is the disdain of all of the rest of Canada.
  • If you live in rural Canada you've got a grudge on for urban Canada.
  • If you live in the west the east has too much political power.
  • If you live inside oil rich Alberta the rest of Canada is a charity case.
  • If you live outside of oil-rich Alberta then Alberta is just plain greedy.
  • If you live in the north the south exploits northern resources and leaves nothing in return.
The list goes on and on and on - it's a long one.

Travelers from our neighbour to the south are always welcome - if you check a population map of Canada you'll see that most of us live within a couple hours drive of the border - meaning cross-border interaction is not just thriving - it is a vital part of our economy and our lifestyle - if someone from the U.S. gets turned back at the border for a silly infraction then it is a big deal - for you and for us.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Closed Thread