Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
If you take Detroit, Chicago and wash dc out if the equation our murder rates go way, way down. And these three cities have the toughest gun control laws on the books. Go figure.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #42
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We had the same problem with fruit bought in the US, but I too had removed the labels when I washed the fruit. They told me I could go back to Canada, eat the fruit and come back. Not a good solution.

This reminds me of a crossing when we had bought some alcohol at a duty free store on the Canadian side of the border and went into the Canadian border station to get some form showing we had bought duty free alcohol. Everyone there was watching a guy who had just crossed into Canada and as soon as he left the border station, parked, got out of his car, and started doing something vaguely akin to Tai Chi as interpreted by a crazy person. The Canadians found this pretty funny and so did we. I suggested they shoot him, "that's what we would do". They laughed again and said they had no guns. I suggested they borrow some from the Americans, but they declined. We got the form and went back to the US. The Americans were looking at that guy too with some disbelief and were very nice to us. They wanted to see the inside of an Airstream and I showed them around telling them there were no Mexicans in the closet. They enjoyed the tour, found no Mexicans and didn't look for fruit. That was at least 10 years ago and things were easier at the border then. They had installed the radiation detectors by then—big orange things you drive through. I asked them what happens if it shows radiation and they said you have to drive through another one about 100' away. Then I asked what happens if you fail the test again and they said "we keep you." I guess we had no nuclear weapons, so we got to drive home.

What are the best border crossings to avoid hassles? I think small ones tend to be easier—less traffic and perhaps less concern with problems. The big crossings can be very slow when there are a lot of 18 wheelers shipping cargo across the border and traffic gets backed up. But the best is where there's little or no space for you to park and be searched and there's already a big truck parked there. But once we went to minor crossing and traffic was backed up and it took half an hour to get to the kiosk. The border guy was trying to move people through quickly and asked "do you have anything I would be concerned about?" I said "I hope not". He didn't care I never answered the question directly, was very nice and we went on our way. He even said "how are you?"

Aside from guns, Canadians may be interested in potatoes. We were asked about that when we went to Newfoundland from NS by the ferry people, and when we entered Ontario from International Falls, Minn.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #43
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
If you take Detroit, Chicago and wash dc out if the equation our murder rates go way, way down. And these three cities have the toughest gun control laws on the books. Go figure.
The guns come from states with few or no gun regulations. I think the murder rate in DC is fairly low. The District is being gentrified, probably by lobbyists.

Gene

Old 07-04-2015, 03:55 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
My wife and I are here in Newfoundland on a five month tour on the Atlantic Provinces....having an absolutely fantastic time.

And then I made the mistake of reading this post. It is the Fourth Of July!!! Reading that the U.S. Is not as civilized as another country just makes me mad as hell...almost as mad as some donkey telling other people that if you don't own a Hensley or Pro Pride or have 16" wheels you will die.
As a retired active duty army officer with nearly 25 years, I am, and always will be proud....
Old 07-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Princeton , British Columbia
Super glad our Canadian Border guards stopped the US idiot from entering our country with a loaded pistol. It's the ignorant people who make negative comments about Canada. It's amazing how many US people have no idea what Canada is like. I have been traveling to the US for 40 plus years because my whole family moved to San Deigo in 1971. And it's amzing how many people I meet that have no idea what Canada is like. I get questions like do we live in igloos, do our policemen ride horses. Just sayin! No need to be nasty.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #46
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Canadian police don't wear red coats either, nor do they sing the Indian Love Call in the Canadian Rockies. In fact, in all our travels through Canada I have rarely seen a cop or Mountie. I guess Canadians are so well behaved, they don't have much need to police themselves that way.

Both countries have a lot to be proud of and some things that aren't so good. That's true on the 4th or Canada Day. Canadians know all about us, but most Americans know little of Canada. We've been to every province and 2 territories (hard to get to the 3rd one, Nunavut, no roads to there). Each country can learn from the other on how to make a better life for all of us, but I rarely see any news about Canada in the newspapers or TV.

Gene

Old 07-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Princeton , British Columbia
Right On!
Old 07-04-2015, 04:56 PM   #48
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
SO, I guess " What happens in CANADA stays in CANADA". Nice policy we could learn a lot from our northern neighbors. I always enjoyed their " O Canada" when it was sung at the Rangers games when I used to go with my daughter.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 07-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #49
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEagle6 View Post
Reading that the U.S. is not as civilized as another country just makes me mad as hell...almost as mad as some donkey telling other people that if you don't own a Hensley or Pro Pride or have 16" wheels you will die.
Prison population-

US: ~2.2 million
Canada: ~38,000

Incarceration rates per thousand population-

US: 787
Canada: 118

"civilized" meaning refined cultural taste or moral/ethical behavior?

If the later, we might not score so high. Luckily, Seychelles saves us from being the worst legally compliant population in the world with an 868/1K score and 768 people in jail.

I have experienced nothing but pleasant encounters going either direction. I wonder why the crossing point(s) employees aren't more inquisitive/intrusive?

"Just Say'n"
Old 07-04-2015, 05:15 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Dose of reality.
Things are not all hugs and kisses in Canada. Even they have their THUGS, gangs and gun problems.

BC May Be Facing a New Wave of Gang Violence | VICE | Canada

String of shootings caused by gang war east of Vancouver: RCMP | CTV News

Rival gang the Rock Machine eyes Hells Angels’ turf in B.C.

https://media.curio.ca/filer_public/...553d/gangs.pdf

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I'm not a prolific poster but have been with this forum on pretty much a daily basis since we bought our Bambi in 2003. The "Toaster" is just at home travelling U.S. roads as it is travelling our own roads. I think we are now in the neighbourhood of 800 nights out and working on 100,000 kilometres. The trailer has seen spent serious time on both coasts and has explored a whole lot of the American mid and south-west (... must have been a cowboy in a past life .....).

Despite working hard at being when and where other's aren't we always take the time to say hi to any Airstreamer we come across - which has led to way more than a few campfires.

In all that time and all that travel and all those campfires I don't recall the subject of firearms ever coming up ......

..... and with a little bit of luck we'll be back on U.S. roads again in a couple months.

Think what I am saying here is that some of the politics is different, some of the legislation is different - but the Airstream experience is exactly the same - no matter where you are.

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Old 07-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #52
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubird View Post
Super glad our Canadian Border guards stopped the US idiot from entering our country with a loaded pistol. It's the ignorant people who make negative comments about Canada. It's amazing how many US people have no idea what Canada is like. I have been traveling to the US for 40 plus years because my whole family moved to San Deigo in 1971. And it's amzing how many people I meet that have no idea what Canada is like. I get questions like do we live in igloos, do our policemen ride horses. Just sayin! No need to be nasty.
Excuse me? Really??? "Idiot"????? "Ignorant"?????

The US and Canada are GREAT countries. I happen to be from the US, so I am biased towards the States.

I get concerned when someone thinks a person a threat to them simply because they might own a gun. There are bad apples in every bunch. The VAST majority of American gun owners are the nicest, most law-abiding people you'd want to meet.

However, you must respect the laws that are in place, or you're asking for trouble. I don't have any sympathy for the person mentioned in the original post.

On that note......

God save the Queen!

and

Happy 4th of July!!!!
Old 07-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
It is my observation that, as a whole, Canada is more civilized than the US and you should be less apt to feel the need for a hand gun.

It was also my impression that this particular general subject is one we are not supposed to broach here, no matter how obtuse the angle of approach may be. So why don't we just drop it befoe a donnybrook arises?

to use a phrase I oft see here:

Just sayin'

Ken
We who travel need to know what is going on around us. I think some folks who don't think this or that should be on the forum are those who do not agree with the subject at hand.

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
Old 07-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Excuse me? Really??? "Idiot"????? "Ignorant"?????
Given that your first post to this thread was incredibly dismissive of our country, I think your outrage is a little misplaced.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #55
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Given that your first post to this thread was incredibly dismissive of our country, I think your outrage is a little misplaced.
So, stating that I'll make a free choice of NOT going to Canada because of a law ("incredibly dismissive of our country"????) equates in your mind to personal insults? Name-calling is not a good idea, ever.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
So, stating that I'll make a free choice of NOT going to Canada because of a law ("incredibly dismissive of our country"????) equates in your mind to personal insults? Name-calling is not a good idea, ever.
Your very public pronouncement of your choice in this thread was dismissive and insulting. Why not keep your decision to yourself? The only reason I can see is to inflame.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #57
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
You can express yourself as easily as anyone else can.

Someone being right or wrong has nothing to do with whether you get insulted. If that IS the case, my second post should more than make up for the first.

Sorry if I offended you. I LIKE Canada!!
Old 07-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, does Canada have laws or principles equivalent to the First and Second Amendments to the U.S. Constitution?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver 67 View Post
We who travel need to know what is going on around us. I think some folks who don't think this or that should be on the forum are those who do not agree with the subject at hand.

The subject I am referring to is carrying guns. When I posted the post you quoted, the thread was trending in that direction. If you wish to get a lot of attention, start a thread about the virtues or evils of carrying firearms. I do not know if my post had anything to do with the fact that that aspect of the subject did not get opened. However I am sure it did no harm.

The some folks in this case are the moderators. my intent was to avoid having the thread deleted.

Nuff said?

Ken
Old 07-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #60
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
If our gun laws keep the wing-nuts out. I'm all for it.
OBTW, this post could be seen as "incredibly dismissive" and "insulting". (To the incredibly thin-skinned.)
Closed Thread